2018-19 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    Penn State takes their quarterfinal game with RIT by a score of 4-1, with two empty-netters in the third period (from Natalie Heising and Shea Nelson). Penn State led shots on goal by 42-18. It could have been even worse, but Terra Lanteigne made some great saves for RIT.

Penn State takes on CHA regular season champ Robert Morris tomorrow, I believe that one is at 4:30.
    Watched most of the game, two teams I only see when Hurst plays them. Thought Rushton was RITs best skater, and Shea Nelson sure was everywhere for Penn State. Nice game out of Adolfsson as well, another one who likes to shoot the puck, forcing opponents to put their bodies on the line.

RIT just never got any momentum going at all, a credit to Penn State. Penn State sure loves that play across the crease from down low in tight on the PP. They just missed on a couple wide open nets - you are right it could have been worse for RIT.

Not sure who all the seniors are on RIT, they will miss Cornine, but have Lanteigne for one more year. Great to see them competitive this year. Better for the league and surely a better experience for those players.

Good luck to Penn State tomorrow.
    Last edited by Lindsay; 03-06-2019, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• Re: 2018-19 Penn State Nittany Lions

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
      ...Shea Nelson sure was everywhere for Penn State. Nice game out of Adolfsson as well, another one who likes to shoot the puck, forcing opponents to put their bodies on the line.
      Shea Nelson looks like a whole different player than her freshman season last year. She's really picked her game up. Adolfsson has a hard shot from the blue line, and it's usually a set up for a deflection...at least that's what it looks like. Except, of course, when it gets through on its own.

Penn State sure loves that play across the crease from down low in tight on the PP. They just missed on a couple wide open nets - you are right it could have been worse for RIT.
      That's a big (and welcome) change that Kampersal has made at Penn State. It's still a work in progress, but they are getting a lot busier in front of the net than they used to be, and also a lot more aggressive with even the smallest rebounds. Well, the shorthanded goal from Abby Welch was a good example of that, even if she was on her own...just that mentality of staying with it until the play is over.

Not sure who all the seniors are on RIT, they will miss Cornine, but have Lanteigne for one more year. Great to see them competitive this year. Better for the league and surely a better experience for those players.
      I agree 100%. You have to feel good for a team that gets a fresh start like RIT got - and needed - this year, and a better RIT will make everyone else better, too.

Good luck to Penn State tomorrow.
      Thanks, some luck would sure come in handy! Jenna Brenneman is going to want to avenge herself with Robert Morris. They've lit her up pretty good this year.

Comment

Shea Nelson looks like a whole
        different player than her freshman season last year. She's really picked her game up. Adolfsson has a hard shot from the blue line, and it's usually a set up for a deflection...at least that's what it looks like. Except, of course, when it gets through on its own.

That's a big (and welcome) change that Kampersal has made at Penn State. It's still a work in progress, but they are getting a lot busier in front of the net than they used to be, and also a lot more aggressive with even the smallest rebounds. Well, the shorthanded goal from Abby Welch was a good example of that, even if she was on her own...just that mentality of staying with it until the play is over.

I agree 100%. You have to feel good for a team that gets a fresh start like RIT got - and needed - this year, and a better RIT will make everyone else better, too.

Thanks, some luck would sure come in handy! Jenna Brenneman is going to want to avenge herself with Robert Morris. They've lit her up pretty good this year.
        Penn State gets to .500 and needs a win to stay there. Will that be enough motivation? Penn State will have to deal with playing the early game after playing the late game tonight. That is a disadvantage but not insurmountable. Robert Morris does have Oneill back and I'm not sure she even played in any of the first four games?

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
          Penn State will have to deal with playing the early game after playing the late game tonight. That is a disadvantage but not insurmountable.
          Well, it's a 4:30 start, which is later than the usual game two throughout the regular season, so that shouldn't be a big deal for them. I don't like that they had to come off a long road trip to Lindenwood this past weekend and then be ready to play in Buffalo four days later, but three other teams had to be ready in four days, too.

I wish the CHA would go back to the normal playoff format they used to have - best of three quarterfinals at the higher seed schools' arenas one weekend, and the semis and championship at wherever the following weekend. I hate this three day one-and-done...if you're seeded 3-6 and make it to the final, it's your fifth game in a week, and fourth game in a week if you're seeded 1 or 2. I'd rather watch the top two teams, well rested, battle it out for the title, rather than two tired and beat up teams giving what they have left.

Here's the Penn State game recap: https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/3/...ournament.aspx
          Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 03-07-2019, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Well, it's a 4:30 start, which is later than the usual game two throughout the regular season, so that shouldn't be a big deal for them. I don't like that they had to come off a long road trip to Lindenwood this past weekend and then be ready to play in Buffalo four days later, but three other teams had to be ready in four days, too.

I wish the CHA would go back to the normal playoff format they used to have - best of three quarterfinals at the higher seed schools' arenas one weekend, and the semis and championship at wherever the following weekend. I hate this three day one-and-done...if you're seeded 3-6 and make it to the final, it's your fifth game in a week, and fourth game in a week if you're seeded 1 or 2. I'd rather watch the top two teams, well rested, battle it out for the title, rather than two tired and beat up teams giving what they have left.

Here's the Penn State game recap: https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/3/...ournament.aspx
            I don't mind Kampresal's scheduling of last four games on the road, I do mind going 2-1-1 instead of 4-0 against those two teams, but the team on the bright side did get past RIT.

It has been four years since Penn State has been .500 this late in the season. Right now, after the last three years, I will take mediocre over terrible. Let's see how Penn State does in the underdog role.

I'm not sure who I have favored in the Syracuse and Mercyhurst game, Syracuse could have lost in the first round or they could win the whole thing, it's been that type of year for the Orange.

Comment

I'm not sure who I have favored in the Syracuse and Mercyhurst game, Syracuse could have lost in the first round or they could win the whole thing, it's been that type of year for the Orange.
              Absolutely, Syracuse has been a different team this year. They went 2-2 against Mercyhurst, and 0-3-1 against RIT...go figure. It's tournament time, though, and Mercyhurst always seems to have the juice when the tournament comes around, so it's hard to pick against them. They're going to want revenge for Syracuse coming to their arena and sweeping them last month, too. You know that one still stings a bit. I have to go with Mercyhurst in tonight's game.

Comment

Absolutely, Syracuse has been a different team this year. They went 2-2 against Mercyhurst, and 0-3-1 against RIT...go figure. It's tournament time, though, and Mercyhurst always seems to have the juice when the tournament comes around, so it's hard to pick against them. They're going to want revenge for Syracuse coming to their arena and sweeping them last month, too. You know that one still stings a bit. I have to go with Mercyhurst in tonight's game.
                RIT sure moved the puck well, but Brenneman had a nice game with some notable saves. RIT took to many penalties. Penn State's power play continues to struggle, but converted one.
                RIT got a lucky first goal on a shot towards net that deflected off of 23. There was one play by RIT in the third period where they were inches from converting backdoor on a pass across the crease, but the player must have missed hockey 101 on having her stick down. That would have been interesting at that point if it had been tied up.

RIT's goalie had some big saves for sure. I liked Penn State's energy level against RIT. They did not look tired to me even after traveling out to Missouri.

Comment

I don't mind Kampresal's scheduling of last four games on the road...
                  I believe that the initial schedule is usually drafted by the league, considering such factors as rink availability. It was likely the CHA that assigned Penn State to be at Lindenwood the final weekend. Teams can then adjust to do things like play a home-and-home series or a midweek game, or swap the series to a week when both are off, but then both teams have to agree to it. If it was left entirely up to the programs, then nobody would want to start on the road or finish on the road. The league can ensure that such things balance out over the years.
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Here's a short highlight video of last night's goals against RIT: https://twitter.com/i/status/1103699955829694465

Comment

Penn State and Robert Morris are scoreless after one. Penn State leads the shots on goal by 12-5, and Robert Morris has gotten the only penalty of the game so far.

Comment

Penn State and Robert Morris are tied 1-1 after two periods. The Penn State goal was scored on the power play by junior Brooke Madsen. Penn State is 1-3 on the power play, and Robert Morris is 0-1. Penn State leads the shots on goal by 20-18.

Comment

Robert Morris takes down Penn State by a score of 2-1 in the CHA semifinals. Robert Morris led the shots on goal for the game 28-27. Penn State went 1-5 on the power play, and Robert Morris went 0-1. Except for penalties, everythng else was pretty even. It's the end of the season for Penn State, but it ended with a very good showing against #1 Robert Morris.

Comment

Robert Morris takes down Penn State by a score of 2-1 in the CHA semifinals. Robert Morris led the shots on goal for the game 28-27. Penn State went 1-5 on the power play, and Robert Morris went 0-1. Except for penalties, everythng else was pretty even. It's the end of the season for Penn State, but it ended with a very good showing against #1 Robert Morris.
                            Zed thanks for all the posting and videos and you kept the blogging alive. The year started off better than anyone imagined and finished with a close but no cigar in a trip to the Championship and being .500.

Comment

Zed thanks for all the posting and videos and you kept the blogging alive. The year started off better than anyone imagined and finished with a close but no cigar in a trip to the Championship and being .500.
                              Well, thank you, too, for adding to the Penn State discussion here. It was a fun season to be a fan, and they're really still a work in progress under Jeff Kampersal and his staff, but they've made some huge strides in the last two seasons, for sure. I can't wait for next season already.

Here are some video comments from Kampersal after today's game:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1103820319838662656

https://twitter.com/i/status/1103821812176220161

And the Penn State game recap: https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/3/...emifinals.aspx
                              Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 03-07-2019, 07:25 PM.

Comment

I listened to Kampresal's snippets. It is ironic that in the first games against Colgate, he only could roll lines because of suspensions. Then, he rolled lines against BU and Cornell because he was worried about the players after coming back from break. Then, in this last game he wants the team to get off to a fast start in the first period and he rolls lines. Then he states, that RMU outplayed Penn State in the second and third and his players got tired. He even apologized about having to call a timeout. Well guess what he stopped rolling lines after the first. That's a bit of a head scratcher.

I did like what he had to say about the seniors.

Comment

Working...
                                X