2018-19 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    I was wondering where junior forward Brooke Madsen was for yesterday's game. She took a late two-minute boarding call in Friday's game, and the CHA decided it was more like a game misconduct, so she sat out yesterday.

Penn State game recap: https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/2/...me-finale.aspx

Daily Collegian game recap: https://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports...048e3b59b.html
    Penn State has bigger problems than Madsen. I wonder if Brennerman has to sit out the next game?

Talk about being in a pressure cooker for the last four with RIT being up by three points on Penn State. Then, Penn State has to travel to Lindenwood where Robert Morris just was rolled.

Comment

• Re: 2018-19 Penn State Nittany Lions

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
      Penn State has bigger problems than Madsen. I wonder if Brennerman has to sit out the next game?
      According to the boxscore, no, at least not automatically, because it was a game misconduct, not a DQ:
      https://www.collegehockeystats.net/1...s/wmrcpsu1.f16

However, I don't trust the box, because it shows Brenneman getting kicked out at 13:54 of the third period, but charging the goal against 21 seconds later to her and showing her as the goalie of record until the final minute of regulation when PSU pulled its goalie for an extra attacker. Apparently too much happening at once for the press box crew to keep straight. So who knows; it could have been a disqualification that was entered wrong instead of what is shown.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

This is how the CHA saw the weekend series against Mercyhurst:

"Mercyhurst headed to Penn State, and in 130 minutes of play, nothing was ever decided, as the two teams skated to a pair of ties, at one and at two.

In Friday’s game, both goals were scored late in the middle period, starting with Mercyhurst’s Maggie Knott on the power play at 16:31 and ending with Katie McMillan tying it with 42 seconds left. Each goaltender made a few great saves, but the volume wasn’t high, as Kennedy Blair stopped 19 shots for the Lakers and Jenna Brenneman 25 for the Nittany Lions.

Saturday’s game had twice as many goals and maybe ten times more action as well, especially in the third period. Michele Robillard got Mercyhurst on the board just 1:17 into the game, and it stayed there until past the game’s mid-point. The team’s traded power play goals, with Katie Rankin tying it up in the second period and Summer-Rae Dobson getting the lead back for the Lakers with 5:45 left in regulation. Just when it seemed like Mercyhurst was going to pick up the win, Natalie Heising scored with 39 seconds left to tie it.

Yet that wasn’t all the excitement in the period, as Heising was awarded a penalty shot while shorthanded with about 7:30 left, but she was denied by Blair. Not long after, a scrum in front of the Penn State net resulted in goalie Brenneman getting a five-minute major and game misconduct penalty. Ultimately, Mercyhurst ended up with a 5-on-3 and scored on their new goalie, Cam Leonard. In overtime, each team took a penalty, but they were 38 seconds apart, and not long enough for either team to take full advantage. Mercyhurst heads to Robert Morris this weekend and Penn State has only road games left, starting with RIT."

https://chawomenshockey.com/news/201...p-2-15-16.aspx

Comment

And it was THON weekend at Penn State, where they raised a total of $10,621,683.76

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzowxROXQAERJ3q.jpg:large

Comment

And it was THON weekend at Penn State, where they raised a total of $10,621,683.76

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzowxROXQAERJ3q.jpg:large
            Amazing amount of $$$$. Tough to hate Penn State when the University raises that type of money for charity. Where are your videos? Are you keeping them all to yourself? They are missed. Any news on Rolph?

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
              Amazing amount of $$$$. Tough to hate Penn State when the University raises that type of money for charity. Where are your videos? Are you keeping them all to yourself? They are missed. Any news on Rolph?
              Videos are here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRo...cfdDUyw/videos

I missed two home games, but the rest of the videos are on that YouTube page, along with some random others. I haven't heard anything more about Morgan Rolph's injury, so I hope she's okay. She's a reliable shot blocker, and a good physical defender, so it would be great to get her back at least in time for the CHA tournament, as long as she's healthy and doesn't rush her recovery.

It's a big weekend coming up against RIT, who is the CHA's most improved team this season by far. It's pretty impressive what a new coach has done for that program.

Comment

Zed, as one who has not followed the ups and downs of what's transpired in the CHA, I was wondering...in your humble opinion...

Which CHA team could possibly pose the biggest upset threat to the overall No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament?
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  Zed, as one who has not followed the ups and downs of what's transpired in the CHA, I was wondering...in your humble opinion...

Which CHA team could possibly pose the biggest upset threat to the overall No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament?
                  Penn State, of course! Oh, it was a serious question...okay. To be honest, I don't think a CHA team is a threat to whoever the #1 seed will be in the NCAA tournament. Nobody in the CHA is at that level yet.

Comment

I'm going to add that I'm referring only to the #1 NCAA seed. If you ask about a CHA team surprising someone in the NCAA tournament overall, absolutely I think more than one CHA team could beat another NCAA tournament opponent...but realistically, not the #1 seed.

Comment

I'm going to add that I'm referring only to the #1 NCAA seed. If you ask about a CHA team surprising someone in the NCAA tournament overall, absolutely I think more than one CHA team could beat another NCAA tournament opponent...but realistically, not the #1 seed.
                      You never know what can happen in a one game showdown.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                        You never know what can happen in a one game showdown.
                        That's what makes hockey so much fun. I'd absolutely love to see a women's championship game with a CHA team playing for the national title, preferably Penn State, of course. I just don't think anyone would be calling a Wisconsin/Minnesota vs (pick a CHA team) championship game a "Clash of the Titans" this season. A match-up between the CHA champion and anyone else after Wisconsin and Minnesota would be a good one, though.

In the case of Penn State, they are a vastly improved team over what was becoming the standard here, thanks to Jeff Kampersal and his staff. The main issue right now is consistency. Their worst losses this season have been against CHA opponents Syracuse and Robert Morris - not Colgate, not BU, not Princeton, not Cornell. Even in their worst losses, it was a lopsided single game, not both games of the series, so it's not like Penn State can't play with certain teams; they're just not putting two consistent games together in a weekend. They will, and they're only in the second season of Kampersal's revamp of the program, so it's still a fun time to be a Penn State fan, and it's going to continue to get better.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThreeSkates
                          Agree Zed, there are already many noticeable improvements in the style of play from PSU. I would expect to see another significant shift in the right direction when Coach Kampersal gets his first recruiting class on campus for the 2020-2021 season. The team is playing some good defensive hockey, and will turn many of these narrow losses and ties into wins when they get some more offensive punch.
                          The only thing rarer than a Slapshot Willy sighting is a Three Skates sighting. Great turnout for Saturday's game! That's a good recruiting tool.

Comment

Penn State heads to RIT for a weekend series Friday at 2:00 and Saturday at 1:00. If you're really willing to pay $11 per game, they're both streaming on Stretch Internet.

There are eight points left for the taking in the CHA regular season. RIT currently sits in fourth place in the CHA with 15 points, followed by Penn State with 12 points. This could very well also be the match-up on day one of the CHA tournament. RIT is much improved over last season, and going by stats alone they are very evenly-matched with Penn State, but Penn State swept RIT in their November meeting, including a shutout.

The biggest hurdle for Penn State on Friday is going to be playing without the services of junior goalie Jenna Brenneman, who will be sitting out her game misconduct from last weekend. Sophomore goalie Chantal Burke will likely get the start, otherwise it's redshirt freshman Cam Leonard between the pipes on Friday. Between them, though, they only have 95 minutes of game time combined this season. I'm guessing Brenneman was convinced this week to retire her boxing glove and go back to her blocker for Saturday's game.

Comment

Penn State heads to RIT for a weekend series Friday at 2:00 and Saturday at 1:00. If you're really willing to pay $11 per game, they're both streaming on Stretch Internet.

There are eight points left for the taking in the CHA regular season. RIT currently sits in fourth place in the CHA with 15 points, followed by Penn State with 12 points. This could very well also be the match-up on day one of the CHA tournament. RIT is much improved over last season, and going by stats alone they are very evenly-matched with Penn State, but Penn State swept RIT in their November meeting, including a shutout.

The biggest hurdle for Penn State on Friday is going to be playing without the services of junior goalie Jenna Brenneman, who will be sitting out her game misconduct from last weekend. Sophomore goalie Chantal Burke will likely get the start, otherwise it's redshirt freshman Cam Leonard between the pipes on Friday. Between them, though, they only have 95 minutes of game time combined this season. I'm guessing Brenneman was convinced this week to retire her boxing glove and go back to her blocker for Saturday's game.
                              I like the humor while you are at it tell Penn State to go back to the Power Play lineups that went two for three against Robert Morris as opposed to the changes made for Mercyhurst that went for 1-13 and it gets worse committed two penalties on the power play.

I went over the box scores from the first two games against RIT and hopefully Penn State just copies whatever they did the first time around.

The team seems to be stellar when rolling lines.

I thought Burke was the back up or at least was the first time against Mercyhurst?

I am not really sure how RIT is doing it but it appears to be not just smoke and mirrors after going 1-0-1 against what was a surging Syracuse team.

Syracuse and Penn State have the most impactful transfers in the CHA with Hoppner and Brennerman this year.
                              Last edited by Reddington; 02-20-2019, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                                The biggest hurdle for Penn State on Friday is going to be playing without the services of junior goalie Jenna Brenneman, who will be sitting out her game misconduct from last weekend.
                                Did the league suspend her? If not, a player has to sit out the next game after a DQ, but not for a game misconduct. The penalty for the latter is missing the remainder of the contest in which the infraction occurred.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X