Don Lucia steps down as Minnesota Gophers coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Hockey camps, paid appearances, etc, brings in a bit of money.
    Indeed.
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Re: Don Lucia steps down as Minnesota Gophers coach

What I've learned today:

1. Motzko definitely isn't leaving St. Cloud
      2. But if you don't want him to you're an idiot

Clowns everywhere.

Comment

Especially St. Clown
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO
          Jerry York, who signed a five-year contract extension in Dec. 2013 that officially kicked in after 2013-14, officially lasts for another two seasons ('til 2019-20). York's base salary is $491,259. Combined with the payout of a longstanding deferred compensation plan worth in excess of $677,311, and $30K in bonus pay and other compensation resulted in a total compensation of $1,249,617. That total represents a 100 percent increase from his 2013-14 total compensation of $626,953.

By comparison, Don Lucia signed a two-year extension in Oct. 2016 worth $621,250 per year. The contract extension included increases in base pay from $350,000 in 2016-17 to $362,500 in 2017-18 and $375,000 in 2018-19 as well as increases in supplemental retirement contributions from $245,000 in 2016-17 to $250,00 in 2017-18 and $255,000 in 2018-19. Lucia's contract also included the following additional incentives: $5K for Big Ten coach of the year, $100K+ in bonuses if the Gophers have Big Ten and NCAA tournament success, four hockey season tickets and a parking pass, four football season tickets and a parking pass, and indoor club passes for the rest of his life.

This week the University of Minnesota has terminated the agreement and proceeded to "buyout" the remaining section of Lucia’s contract. Lucia will receive one-half of the base salary and one-half of the supplemental retirement payable for the remaining term of the contract.

Lucia signed a six-year contract with a base salary of $125,000 when he started at Minnesota 19 seasons ago.

Bob Motzko signed a six-year contract that began with the 2015-16 season and runs until 2020-21. Motzko's base salary under this current contract is $180,855 per year, with an additional $60,285 a year for work outside the season ($241,140). State of Minnesota income records showed that for the fiscal year ending June 2014 he earned $224,164 approximately 7% lower than his current contract.
          From a purely financial perspective, it sounds like a no-brainer to me. Why wouldn't someone want to more than double their salary? But to some people (believe it or not), there are considerations beyond simply the money. At some point it becomes a trade-off that he might not be willing to make. As we saw in Lucia's press conference, there are other things in life besides hockey (and I think it was obvious that he was very sincere).

Comment

Jerry York, who signed a five-year contract extension in Dec. 2013 that officially kicked in after 2013-14, officially lasts for another two seasons ('til 2019-20). York's base salary is $491,259. Combined with the payout of a longstanding deferred compensation plan worth in excess of $677,311, and $30K in bonus pay and other compensation resulted in a total compensation of $1,249,617. That total represents a 100 percent increase from his 2013-14 total compensation of $626,953.

By comparison, Don Lucia signed a two-year extension in Oct. 2016 worth $621,250 per year. The contract extension included increases in base pay from $350,000 in 2016-17 to $362,500 in 2017-18 and $375,000 in 2018-19 as well as increases in supplemental retirement contributions from $245,000 in 2016-17 to $250,00 in 2017-18 and $255,000 in 2018-19. Lucia's contract also included the following additional incentives: $5K for Big Ten coach of the year, $100K+ in bonuses if the Gophers have Big Ten and NCAA tournament success, four hockey season tickets and a parking pass, four football season tickets and a parking pass, and indoor club passes for the rest of his life.

This week the University of Minnesota has terminated the agreement and proceeded to "buyout" the remaining section of Lucia’s contract. Lucia will receive one-half of the base salary and one-half of the supplemental retirement payable for the remaining term of the contract.

Lucia signed a six-year contract with a base salary of $125,000 when he started at Minnesota 19 seasons ago.

Bob Motzko signed a six-year contract that began with the 2015-16 season and runs until 2020-21. Motzko's base salary under this current contract is $180,855 per year, with an additional $60,285 a year for work outside the season ($241,140). State of Minnesota income records showed that for the fiscal year ending June 2014 he earned $224,164 approximately 7% lower than his current contract. It was reported in the St. Cloud Times that in 2017 Bob Motzko's total compensation including additional income was $302,000.

Mike Hastings total compensation at MSUM in 2017 was approximately 300K.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              What I've learned today:

1. Motzko definitely isn't leaving St. Cloud
              2. But if you don't want him to you're an idiot

Clowns everywhere.
              What I learned today:

You can't read.
              Originally posted by SJHovey
              Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
              Originally posted by Brenthoven
              We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

The University of Minnesota has made their 2017 NCAA Financial Report for the 2016-17 school year public. The university lists Coach Lucia's compensation, bonuses and benefits reportable on the university or related entities W-2 and 1099 forms inclusive of: Gross wages and bonuses, benefits including allowances, speaking fees, retirement, stipends, memberships, media income, tuition reimbursement and earned deferred compensation as $806,400. He is reported as having $0 compensation, bonuses and benefits paid by a third party and contractually guaranteed by the institution, but not included on the institutions W-2 including: car stipend. country club membership, allowances for clothing, housing, entertainment. speaking fees. camps compensation. media income and shoe and apparel income.

I haven't requested St. Cloud's 2017 NCAA financials yet, but for the 2015-16 school year Coach Motzko's reported compensation was $342,007, also with no third party compensation.

Sean
                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                NCAA Hockey Financials
                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post

Bob Motzko signed a six-year contract that began with the 2015-16 season and runs until 2020-21. Motzko's base salary under this current contract is $180,855 per year, with an additional $60,285 a year for work outside the season ($241,140). State of Minnesota income records showed that for the fiscal year ending June 2014 he earned $224,164 approximately 7% lower than his current contract. It was reported in the St. Cloud Times that in 2017 Bob Motzko's total compensation including additional income was $302,000.

Mike Hastings, head men's hockey coach at Minnesota State University-Mankato total compensation was approximately 300K.
                  What is your source for this info?

https://www.sctimes.com/story/news/l...eek/421714002/
                  This says Motzko is making $302K and Hastings $300K. Either way, if they offered Motzko the same as Lucia, which I don't think it would be quite that high, I think he would probably take it. We don't know what kind of performance bonuses are in these contracts though. I saw Brad Berry's salary is only around $300k, which seemed low, but Hakstol's base was only like $320k. He had performance bonuses that got Hakstol about $650k in 2012-13. Long story longer, I think it is tough to pin down exactly what these coaches are bringing in, especially if you have performances bonuses like Hakstol that can double your salary.
                  Originally posted by SJHovey
                  Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                  Originally posted by Brenthoven
                  We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                    What is your source for this info?

https://www.sctimes.com/story/news/l...eek/421714002/
                    This says Motzko is making $302K and Hastings $300K. Either way, if they offered Motzko the same as Lucia, which I don't think it would be quite that high, I think he would probably take it. We don't know what kind of performance bonuses are in these contracts though. I saw Brad Berry's salary is only around $300k, which seemed low, but Hakstol's base was only like $320k. He had performance bonuses that got Hakstol about $650k in 2012-13. Long story longer, I think it is tough to pin down exactly what these coaches are bringing in, especially if you have performances bonuses like Hakstol that can double your salary.
                    For Motzko, same source as yours for latest total compensation. Before that same source publication > HERE

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveO View Post

Mike Hastings total compensation at MSUM in 2017 was approximately 300K.
                      So you are saying there is a chance?

Would love to have him and Hilly put ice in the AAC and elevate us.
                      Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post

Ok, I thought that (engineering wise) it is not able to put ice in the AAC. I have asked several times and many people have said that Ice can never go to the AAC because of the way it was built. So, now I am confused.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post

I have heard Lucia potentially still has property in Alaska.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Koho View Post
                            Did you see the comparison SteveO posted between programs stats in recent years? MN is right in the mix with everyone, not as bad as people portray. And I didn't say it is a monumental task to see some improvement, I just don't see them, or the UND's, BC's, BU's etc. staying at the top on a sustained basis with the current state of recruiting, as was the case when you go back more than 10 years.
                            Yeah I saw it and it doesn’t account for the difference between the B1G and the NCHC or other conferences. The NCHC was significantly better at the start and the B1G was probably worse than whatever conference Air Force is in for a couple of those years. Obviously from 2008-2012 it’d be an apples to apples comparison between us and UND and we all know how we fared compared to them during that time (worse). I’m sorry but win% doesn’t really tell us much when we literally won the conference and still missed the tournament one year and that’s not to even mention the 14-15 season where we backdoored into the NCAA by winning the conference tournament only to get curb stopped by a better MN team. Not to mention UMD and SCSU reached the tournament more consistently than we did despite having less advantages than here during the past decade. 6 for Motzko and 7 for Sandelin. 9 for UND, 7 for BC, 6 for BU, 6 for Michigan.

The last decade or so of Gopher hockey has had some nice highs but they were short lived and 5/10 NCAA’s for this program is an absurdly low bar to clear. You cut out a cardboard cut out of a coach on the bench and achieve that with this program. All the credit in the world to the coaches for 11-12 and getting to the championship a couple years later but they also deserve all the credit in the world for the failures of the team during that timeframe and there were far more of those.

And if you can’t see us having sustained success (let’s say at least 9/10 NCAA appearances) then I don’t know what to tell you. We just saw a coach win back to back cups in the NHL without his best defenseman in a league that has far more parity than college. A team of cast offs is in first place in the West and is playing solid well coached hockey. I’m not basing my expectations on titles in a one and done tournament, it’s just not all that realistic or even a great measure of success. I’m basing it off of the achieving the bare minimum requirement to allow that possibility and being in the top 13-14 teams consistently with maybe a hiccup here or there. It’s really not asking that much at this program and just because other programs like Michigan/BU got into the same rut of keeping a coach around too long doesn’t mean we can’t possibly be ahead of the curve and hire an above average coach who can do more with less.

Hopefully Coyle knows what he’s doing because honestly we’ve had some of the biggest moron athletic directors over the years and you’d think we could at least trip over a decent one eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Boot_Don_Lucia View Post
                              Lots of bunched up panties in Stearns County these days.
                              Grab your Ski-Doo jackets and a sixer of Busch light and relax, Bloated Bobby isn't going to be offered this job.
                              But if he leaves for some other reason don't worry - my left thumb doesn't have much to do, we could throw a pair of glasses and a striped red and black tie on it and it will look like Motzko never left.
                              Bloated Bob. Cruel but funny.
                              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                                Either way, if they offered Motzko the same as Lucia, which I don't think it would be quite that high, I think he would probably take it.
                                No chance. Bob is going to take their call, here their pitch, and respectfully tell them to get lost. Bob will retire as a Husky.
                                scsuhockey.com
                                CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

Working...
                                X