Don Lucia steps down as Minnesota Gophers coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Don Lucia steps down as Minnesota Gophers coach

For me, it's a double edge sword for Guentzel. Either he has a lot of experience leading a program as Associate Head Coach with the Gophers or he didn't have much say as Associate Head Coach.

If he has the experience, you could argue that he is part of the needed change to shake the program up. If the team had been much stronger defensively recently, it would be easier to seperate himself.

If he wasn't given much control under Lucia, you could argue that he doesn't have the level of head coaching experience to lead a program of this caliber. At least my expectation would be more head coaching experience.

I like Guentzel a lot as a coach and a person. I am just not as convinced as others that he is the prohibitive favorite that some think. I don't think Lucia is the only reason things got stale.
    Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 03-22-2018, 11:09 AM.
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
      I’ve been one thinking Lucia’s days are numbered for the past few seasons and have been worried for SCSU. Motzko may have SCSU roots but he would be the ideal hire with all his national junior team connections. With St. Cloud’s financial difficulties, I’m sure the U could make an offer SCSU could just come nowhere to matching.
      Not as concerned about Sandelin-if I were worried about him going anywhere else it’d be UND. He doesn’t like the Gophers and gets his team primed to beat them. Only concern is Shannon Miller really f’d the school leaving them in an even harder place so they couldn’t counter an offer either but I still think Motzko is 10x more likely. Sandelin built up UMD’s program and it took a while so I just don’t see him being as much of a recipe for instant success for Gophers.
      Really hoping it goes Guentzel, Potulny or some other long shot. GWOZ!!! Think they’re looking for younger than Gwoz and Blais? I suppose Gwoz coaching HS hockey in Colorado isn’t exactly making him a recruiting tool. Guentzel/Blais could be a combo though but Blais may not last long. I’m surprised he’s still coaching thought he wantded to retire but maybe that was just his Minnesotan excuse to leave UNO
      Whatever financial difficulties the school may or may not have, they aren't going to be fixed by letting the coach of the only revenue generating sport walk out the door. The U of M can definitely offer Motzko a lot more, but that is unrelated to the SCSU's budget shortfall.

Let's go over the pros and cons of Motzko taking the Gopher job.

Pros
      More money (though we don't know how much more)
      Better tradition
      Better facilities

Cons
      SCSU is Motzko's alma mater
      SCSU is Motzko's dream job (he said this after being asked about the U of M job on Tuesday, while recounting the story of his "job interview" with Lucia)
      Motzko would likely have to move his family, while he has kids in high school
      SCSU will likely have a better team next year than the Gophers
      The NCHC has, to this point, been a better conference than the B1G
      Motzko would have to put up with Gopher alumni, who Lucia intimated have been an obstacle to success at the U of M

I don't think any of these are debatable. Feel free to add on unless you are JDubbs.
      Originally posted by SJHovey
      Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
      Originally posted by Brenthoven
      We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
        Whatever financial difficulties the school may or may not have, they aren't going to be fixed by letting the coach of the only revenue generating sport walk out the door. The U of M can definitely offer Motzko a lot more, but that is unrelated to the SCSU's budget shortfall.

Pros
        Better tradition
        Better facilities

Cons
        SCSU is Motzko's dream job (he said this after being asked about the U of M job on Tuesday, while recounting the story of his "job interview" with Lucia)
        Motzko would have to put up with Gopher alumni, who Lucia intimated have been an obstacle to success at the U of M

I don't think any of these are debatable. Feel free to add on unless you are JDubbs.
        Up until your last sentence you had a pretty darn good post going. I don't think the alums are as big of an issue as you do, and I also think you left off a few positives like easier recruiting, better facilities, generally more resources, etc....

Hard to argue with most of your negatives though. Up until this year the NCHC has been a better conference (i am skeptical that will be the case long-term), and the issue with the alums isn't nothing. Your other negatives are spot on.

Will be a tough choice for Motzko if offered, which is why I think $$ will be thd biggest factor. Minnesota will have to pay him well to draw him away from his alma mater.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          I watched it "live" with my wife at home. It got so emotional that at one point I actually struggled to hold back the tears. I guess after going to the games for so many years his departure means more to me than I realized. And you are so right, omahasioux1, Lucia is a "complete class act". Only it's not an act at all, he's as genuine as a coach can be.

Don't take any of this to mean that I didn't think a change was needed. It just took me longer than most to come to this conclusion. In a weird sort of way I was happy to hear Coach Lucia say that in the past couple of months he came to understand that it was time for him to move on. I wish him nothing but the best.
          It was hard for me to watch as well. I did get a little teary a couple times.

By the end he seemed at peace with his decision and I'm happy for him and for the program to get a fresh start.
          "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
            I’ve been one thinking Lucia’s days are numbered for the past few seasons and have been worried for SCSU. Motzko may have SCSU roots but he would be the ideal hire with all his national junior team connections. With St. Cloud’s financial difficulties, I’m sure the U could make an offer SCSU could just come nowhere to matching.
            Not as concerned about Sandelin-if I were worried about him going anywhere else it’d be UND. He doesn’t like the Gophers and gets his team primed to beat them. Only concern is Shannon Miller really f’d the school leaving them in an even harder place so they couldn’t counter an offer either but I still think Motzko is 10x more likely. Sandelin built up UMD’s program and it took a while so I just don’t see him being as much of a recipe for instant success for Gophers.
            Really hoping it goes Guentzel, Potulny or some other long shot. GWOZ!!! Think they’re looking for younger than Gwoz and Blais? I suppose Gwoz coaching HS hockey in Colorado isn’t exactly making him a recruiting tool. Guentzel/Blais could be a combo though but Blais may not last long. I’m surprised he’s still coaching thought he wantded to retire but maybe that was just his Minnesotan excuse to leave UNO
            Agreed, no way Cloud can match what the U could offer. I don't want Sandelin so I'm glad you don't think he'll want the Minnesota job. And I agree that he'd probably be more likely to bolt for UND. No thank you on Blais. I would have taken Gwoz in a heartbeat about 5-6 years ago but at age 64 that isn't a whole lot different than Blais.
            "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Pros
              Better tradition
              Better facilities
              Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
              I also think you left off a few positives like easier recruiting, better facilities, generally more resources, etc....
              I find this amusing, because they are basically the same three points he listed as positives, in a slightly different order.
              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                I find this amusing, because they are basically the same three points he listed as positives, in a slightly different order.
                Yeah, but you forget that this guy is an idiot.
                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                  I'm a "little" biased but I would throw BU in there. We have five national championships. BC has been more "dominant" recently (since 2000) but they are both still top-flight programs. The BU facilities are first-rate and relatively new. Construction and campus expansion is booming and the academic reputation is growing. Also, given that hockey is the #1 sport at BU (no football team anymore), it is squarely at the top of the list as far as recognition and visibility go.
                  I am not biased and I agree with you. BU is a first class academic institution and as you say have modern facilities. Not only do they have 5 national championships, but have dominated the Beanpot tournament over the years. Ice hockey is their premier sport and they can compete with anyone for top recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                    Not really. Easier recruiting because you are drawing from a much larger pool of kids who grew up watching the Gophers, better facilities was redundant and the result of a misread on my part, and more resources extends well beyond facilities. I thought my post was a rather level-headed reply and I stand by it (minus the clear misread on the one point).

Comment

Yeah, but you forget that this guy is an idiot.
                      lol

I do believe it is you who is potraying themself as an idiot. And an insecure one at that.
                      Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 03-22-2018, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                        I am not biased and I agree with you. BU is a first class academic institution and as you say have modern facilities. Not only do they have 5 national championships, but have dominated the Beanpot tournament over the years. Ice hockey is their premier sport and they can compete with anyone for top recruits.
                        I think the original point that was made has gotten lost. Clearly BU is an upper echelon program.

Comment

lol

I do believe it is you who is potraying themself as an idiot. And an insecure on at that.
                          When making a post calling another an idiot...one may want to review it first for errors...lest ye look stupid doing it.
                          "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                          Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                          Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                          Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                          Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Pros
                            Better tradition
                            Better facilities

Cons

Up until your last sentence you had a pretty darn good post going. I don't think the alums are as big of an issue as you do, and I also think you left off a few positives like easier recruiting, better facilities, generally more resources, etc....

Hard to argue with most of your negatives though. Up until this year the NCHC has been a better conference (i am skeptical that will be the case long-term), and the issue with the alums isn't nothing. Your other negatives are spot on.

Will be a tough choice for Motzko if offered, which is why I think $$ will be thd biggest factor. Minnesota will have to pay him well to draw him away from his alma mater.
                            Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                            When making a post calling another an idiot...one may want to review it first for errors...lest ye look stupid doing it.
                            There were only 3 pros that I listed, and Dubbs still couldn't keep them straight.

Comment

There were only 3 pros that I listed, and Dubbs still couldn't keep them straight.
                              Read my post at 3pm. Looks like I am not the only one who misread a post.

Comment

Read my post at 3pm. Looks like I am not the only one who misread a post.
                                Is this FDF alter ego? Writing style and arguments are slightly different, post count and banter vs SCSU ppl is similar
                                I wanna go fast!

Comment

Working...
                                X