Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

Originally posted by defkit View Post
    Now you say so. Where were you last night before I bit the bullet??
    Sorry. Come over and I'll buy you a beer (do they sell beer?). OK a hamburger.

Comment

Looks like the majority of tickets that have become "available" are in the Cornell and Michigan sections. Here's the latest recap:

School Section Seats "Available"
      Michigan 140
      Cornell 104
      BU 23
      NU 2

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
        No beer at NCAA events.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          No beer at NCAA events.
          Burgers it is, then!

Comment

Hopefully, between games, I'll be excited to see who BU will be playing Sunday, rather than being ****ed off and debating whether I should watch the second game when it has no impact on BU at all.

If it's the former, I'll take that burger!
            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

The sticking around for 2nd game after your team loses first game is a tough thing to do

Comment

Hopefully, between games, I'll be excited to see who BU will be playing Sunday, rather than being ****ed off and debating whether I should watch the second game when it has no impact on BU at all.

If it's the former, I'll take that burger!
                Sounds good to me!

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  The sticking around for 2nd game after your team loses first game is a tough thing to do
                  Yes...we have had our share of that experience...

Comment

Well the last time I was at a BU Regional in person (2015), I watched Duluth beat the Gophers like a rented mule (I was shocked how uninterested Minnesota looked). I wasn't able to come back the next night for Erod's heroics.

I'm pretty sure that BU has won every regional game I've attended since the dreaded 2006....
                    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
                      Well the last time I was at a BU Regional in person (2015), I watched Duluth beat the Gophers like a rented mule (I was shocked how uninterested Minnesota looked). I wasn't able to come back the next night for Erod's heroics.

I'm pretty sure that BU has won every regional game I've attended since the dreaded 2006....
                      Yes, that was in ManchVegas. And we won’t talk about that “other” game which unfortunately I also attended...

Comment

• Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

Well the last time I was at a BU Regional in person (2015), I watched Duluth beat the Gophers like a rented mule (I was shocked how uninterested Minnesota looked).
                        I remember that being the most lifeless postseason game I've ever seen. The Gophers looked like they'd rather be watching paint dry than playing. Clearly a talented bunch who couldn't play together if their lives depended on it.
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          Your comment got me interested in how many time BU has lost the first game of a double header in the NCAA tournament. Starting in 1975, when the semifinals were first played on the same day, here is BU's record:
                          1975 Frozen Four semifinals - second game - loss
                          1990 Frozen Four semifinals – first game – loss
                          1991 Frozen Four semifinals – second game – win
                          1992 East Regional – first game – loss
                          1993 East Regional second round – first game – win
                          1993 Frozen Four semifinals – second game – loss
                          1994 East Regional second round – first game – win
                          1994 Frozen Four semifinals – second game – win
                          1995 East Regional second round – second game – win
                          1995 Frozen Four semifinals – second game - win
                          1996 East Regional second round – second game – win
                          1996 Frozen Four semifinals – second game - loss
                          1997 East Regional second round – second game – win
                          1997 Frozen Four semifinals – second game – win
                          1998 East Regional second round – second game – loss
                          2000 East Regional first round – first game – win
                          2000 East Regional second round – first game – loss
                          2002 East Regional first round – first game – loss
                          2003 Northeast Regional first round – first game – win
                          2005 East Regional first round – second game – loss
                          2006 Northeast Regional first round – first game – win
                          2007 Midwest Regional first round – second game – loss
                          2009 Northeast Regional first round – second game – win
                          2009 Frozen Four semifinals – second game – win
                          2012 West Regional first round – second game – loss
                          2015 Northeast Regional first round – first game – win
                          2015 Frozen Four semifinals – second game – win
                          2016 West Regional first round – second game – loss
                          2017 West Regional first round – first game – win

That's 29 times BU played a game as part of a doubleheader. Of those 29 games BU played the first game 11 times and lost 4 times:
                          1990 Frozen Four semifinal vs Colgate
                          1992 East Regional first round vs Michigan State
                          2000 East Regional second round vs St. Lawrence
                          2002 East Regional vs Maine

Sean
                          Last edited by Sean Pickett; 03-23-2018, 04:24 PM. Reason: updated to include 1975
                          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                          BU Hockey highlights and extras
                          NCAA Hockey Financials
                          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

That's 28 times BU played a game as part of a doubleheader. Of those 28 games BU played the first game 11 times and lost 4 times:
                            1990 Frozen Four semifinal vs Colgate
                            1992 East Regional first round vs Michigan State
                            2000 East Regional second round vs St. Lawrence
                            2002 East Regional vs Maine

Sean
                            I'm "pretty sure" (now remember my memory is stretching here...) that we played first in the 1974 NCAA "Final Four" (as they called it back then) at the old Boston Garden. That was when the tournament was at the Garden three years in a row (1972-74). We lost to Minnesota 5-4 when Vic Stanfield coughed up the puck at the blue line and Mike Polich beat Eddie Walsh with a slapshot just inside the blue line (and right in front of a dejected me who was a student living at 700 - now "Warren Towers" - at the time). Because I know we didn't leave right away and watched with varied amounts of disinterest the second game, Michigan Tech and Harvard. I remember the Michigan Tech fans sitting behind the net with the black and gold "miner's" helmets. They actually brought quite a nice crowd. They beat Harvard 6-5 in OT. I didn't go the next night to see Minny win it all, 4-2.

That game was also the start of the "rivalry" with Minnesota which resulted in the eventual bad blood later in the 70's. It was also when Jack Parker turned the program around following the Buckton/Marzo "controversy," resulting in the firing of Leon Abbott.
                            Last edited by chickod; 03-23-2018, 07:07 AM.

Comment

I'm "pretty sure" (now remember my memory is stretching here...) that we played first in the 1974 NCAA "Final Four" (as they called it back then) at the old Boston Garden. That was when the tournament was at the Garden three years in a row (1972-74). We lost to Minnesota 5-4 when Vic Stanfield coughed up the puck at the blue line and Mike Polich beat Eddie Walsh with a slapshot just inside the blue line (and right in front of a dejected me who was a student living at 700 - now "Warren Towers" - at the time). Because I know we didn't leave right away and watched with varied amounts of disinterest the second game, Michigan Tech and Harvard. I remember the Michigan Tech fans sitting behind the net with the black and gold "miner's" helmets. They actually brought quite a nice crowd. They beat Harvard 6-5 in OT. I didn't go the next night to see Minny win it all, 4-2.
                              Because I believe you, and I wasn't there, I double checked, but the 1974 Frozen Four was a Thu-Fri-Sat event with BU-Minnesota on Thursday and MTU-Harvard on Friday. However, I did see that the 1975 Frozen Four did have a doubleheader on Thursday and the championship on Saturday. After that it went back to the Thu-Fri-Sat schedule until 1990.

Having one semifinal on Thursday and one on Friday eventually caused controversy as it was claimed that the team that won on Thursday was more rested and therefore won most of the championships. This was not true in the first 19 years, as the Thursday winner was only 9-10 in the championship game. However, starting in 1967 the Thursday winner won 6 straight years, 7 of 8, 10 of 13 and 16 of 22, including another 4 straight from 1986-89. Therefore the NCAA switched to the current double-header/day off format.

Speaking of the old Frozen Four format, BU played the Thursday game 6 times, winning 3 and losing 3, with BU winning the title the 3 times they won:
                              1951 lost to Michigan
                              1971 defeated Denver, then defeated Minnesota
                              1972 defeated Wisconsin, then defeated Cornell
                              1974 lost to Minnesota
                              1977 lost to Michigan
                              1978 defeated Wisconsin, then defeated BC
                              BU didn't do as well in the Friday games, winning only 2 and losing 5 and losing the title both times they played for it.

Sean
                              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                              BU Hockey highlights and extras
                              NCAA Hockey Financials
                              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                                Because I believe you, and I wasn't there, I double checked, but the 1974 Frozen Four was a Thu-Fri-Sat event with BU-Minnesota on Thursday and MTU-Harvard on Friday. However, I did see that the 1975 Frozen Four did have a doubleheader on Thursday and the championship on Saturday. After that it went back to the Thu-Fri-Sat schedule until 1990.

Having one semifinal on Thursday and one on Friday eventually caused controversy as it was claimed that the team that won on Thursday was more rested and therefore won most of the championships. This was not true in the first 19 years, as the Thursday winner was only 9-10 in the championship game. However, starting in 1967 the Thursday winner won 6 straight years, 7 of 8, 10 of 13 and 16 of 22, including another 4 straight from 1986-89. Therefore the NCAA switched to the current double-header/day off format.

Speaking of the old Frozen Four format, BU played the Thursday game 6 times, winning 3 and losing 3, with BU winning the title the 3 times they won:
                                1951 lost to Michigan
                                1971 defeated Denver, then defeated Minnesota
                                1972 defeated Wisconsin, then defeated Cornell
                                1974 lost to Minnesota
                                1977 lost to Michigan
                                1978 defeated Wisconsin, then defeated BC
                                BU didn't do as well in the Friday games, winning only 2 and losing 5 and losing the title both times they played for it.

Sean
                                Now that I think about it, you're right. So how do I explain going the second night after we lost? Probably because the tickets came as a package. In fact, I believe that all three came in a package, and I most likely was able to sell the championship game. You might say "Why would I do that?" but I was just bummed out that we lost (remember, I was only 19 years old).

What's funny about all this is the comment "Having one semifinal on Thursday and one on Friday eventually caused controversy as it was claimed that the team that won on Thursday was more rested and therefore won most of the championships." We've just recently had numerous discussions about the scheduling after the Hockey East "controversy" regarding BU having more "rest" because they played in the first game. Imagine if we had played Thursday and Providence played an OT game on Friday? Man, they'd really be screaming! Just shows you that we can always find something to complain about!

Comment

Working...
                                X