Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

Originally posted by Boston22 View Post
    I didn't say he has academic issues. I merely asked if he had gone to class or not. He could be a straight A student for I know. A few past players at BU, who were set to go very high in the following year's draft, didn't seem to take the academic side of school too serious. Not all players, but a few.

The reason we don't blindly wonder if every other player on the roster has academic issues and is in danger of being declared ineligible, is because most are not rated nearly as high by the NHL as Tkachuk is. Also, most don't have his namesake and wealth to fall back on, in case hockey doesn't work out.
    He didn't say you said he academic issues. He said you were wondering if he did. And he correctly called you on it and why you are focusing on Brady. I don't know why you're specifically calling him out and not any of the other guys on the team. Not that you should be calling out any of them. Unless you have any specific info or have heard anything floating around. Why on earth did you even bring that up? And most aren't rated nearly as high? Have you looked at the number of high draft picks on this team? And namesake and wealth to fall back on? What does that even mean? That he can live off his dad's and brother's success in the NHL?

Comment

Because many people have told me Chris Bourque did not attend a single class, during his year at BU. I would call that turning a blind eye.
      Okay, here is what happens if you don't attend a single class. You get an F and your GPA drops below the level allowed to played NCAA sports. So I think, maybe, just maybe that is a bit of an exaggeration, perhaps by the people who told you so. Either that or I would love to hear how Bourque got around this well known requirement for all student athletes. Did his teachers lie and give him good enough grades?

I am not claiming Bourque got good grades. My understanding is that during the second semester, he pretty much gave up on the school side of things, but not until it was at a point where it wouldn't impact his eligibility (in other words, after the season was over or close enough to being over). I'm not sure why he went the college route to start with, given how quickly he decided it wasn't for him.

It's in an important distinction because it's the difference between saying Bourque was not cut out for college and saying that Parker broke rules without being caught.
      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Because many people have told me Chris Bourque did not attend a single class, during his year at BU. I would call that turning a blind eye.
        Troll.
        Innuendo without proof. Believing the worst, because you want to.

Some players may decide to stop attending classes in the second semester, if they know they are going to sign pro at the end of the season.
        You can't do that during the first semester, and get a second semester.

Comment

I've seen a lot of posters on this thread give their opinion Brady Tkachuk is almost a shoe-in to return. Is that the consensus with everyone? I would not be surprised if he bolts after the draft.

Also, is he even able to come back? Was he going to class? Or did he have the Dan LaCouture/Chris Bourque "academic" year?
          Maybe you need a job as an academic advisor, since you are soooooo very concerned. Or a truant officer.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
            Troll.

Some players may decide to stop attending classes in the second semester, if they know they are going to sign pro at the end of the season.
            Not to mention, if someone is academically eligible is not a coaches decision, so it is unfair to accuse Jack of "turning a blind eye". We can speculate that part of why he left is that he was going to be ineligible but that is speculation. What we do know however is that he left after freshman year and candidly did not present himself well regarding his comments towards school in interviews upon his departure (so in some ways the speculation is not without basis)

Comment

For anyone who was (or wasn't, for that matter) around in 1978, get a copy of "Jack Parker's Wiseguys: The National Champion BU Terriers, The Blizzard of '78, and The Road to the Miracle On Ice" by Tim Rapppleye.
              It's a fantastic trip down memory lane (or "educational lane" for those who weren't there). Finished it yesterday in one day.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                For anyone who was (or wasn't, for that matter) around in 1978, get a copy of "Jack Parker's Wiseguys: The National Champion BU Terriers, The Blizzard of '78, and The Road to the Miracle On Ice" by Tim Rapppleye.
                It's a fantastic trip down memory lane (or "educational lane" for those who weren't there). Finished it yesterday in one day.
                No, I'll pass thank you . Ruined my senior year!

Comment

Terrier Hockey Fan Blog posted a chapter from Rappleye's book in December: The Education of Mark Fidler
                  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?bl...3;src=postname
                  The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                    Troll.

There are ways around that. A close relative and I were talking to Tom Poti, during his freshman year at BU, and he told us LaCouture did not attend a single class. He sat in the room and played video games all day. But he dropped out of school right before finals first semester because his father had eye surgery. LaCouture must have gotten incompletes as grades, and was able to go back for second semester. He had the same routine second semester. Are you telling me that's believing the worst? Hearing from his own roommate? And Parker knew nothing about it?

Comment

Let's just give Brady Tkachuk the benefit of the doubt and not label him as a candidate to have been a class skipper because he has talent and rich parents. Bringing up rumors of class skipping that are from before Brady was even born is irrelevant.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boston22 View Post
                        There are ways around that. A close relative and I were talking to Tom Poti, during his freshman year at BU, and he told us LaCouture did not attend a single class. He sat in the room and played video games all day. But he dropped out of school right before finals first semester because his father had eye surgery. LaCouture must have gotten incompletes as grades, and was able to go back for second semester. He had the same routine second semester. Are you telling me that's believing the worst? Hearing from his own roommate? And Parker knew nothing about it?
                        Again, how is that turning a blind eye? If Parker sets his standards at the NCAA standards, and this wasn't against the NCAA rules, then what exactly did Parker turn a blind eye to? Turning a blind eye implies Parker ignored someone breaking a team or NCAA rule. It doesn't sound like that happened.

As a side note, Quinn seems to set his standards higher than the NCAA standard, and everyone who has seen the sheet of rules knows this. It also seems to me, though I don't have firm numbers to back this up, that more players are graduating in 3 years under Quinn than ever before.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          Mookie’s only memory of cbourque was of him playing the point on a pp while in the garden during hea sf. He was on the far point and broke his stick. He dropped it and turned and skated towards the bench. The uhn pk’er got a wide grin and skated for the puck and the ensuring breakaway to score a shortie.

What a dummy. No wonder he flunked out
                          That's not very nice mookie. Generally a nice kid that comes back as a former Terrier and takes part in the Comm Ave Classic.

That being said, the talk of Jack Parker turning a blind eye to a situation has failed to yield either of these two things and that disappoints me greatly:
                          a) Pirate Jerry literally having one blind eye.
                          b) Jack Parker literally turning a blind eye to "Shod Foot" John Sabo's heroic efforts to give a patron of The Avenue literally a blind eye.

Happy Easter, good season, continue with the postseason thread.
                          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Well, I have to say...apparently we’re not too far away. We lost in last year’s regional final to UMD who is in the championship game, and lost in this year’s regional final to Michigan, who looks as though they might be there as well!

Comment

Well, I have to say...apparently we’re not too far away. We lost in last year’s regional final to UMD who is in the championship game, and lost in this year’s regional final to Michigan, who looks as though they might be there as well!
                                BU was an OT goal (last year) and a strong 3rd period (this year) away from making the FF. And that close from 3 FF appearances in 4 years.

Parity is the new norm; BU making it to the NCAAs every year will hopefully return to being the norm. It's trending that way and if they keep giving themselves a chance, they'll return to the FF sooner than later. #BUffalo2019

Comment

Working...
                                X