Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

Originally posted by wysi View Post
    I take it neither boy is quite up to the standard set by their father and uncle? I've never seen their names on anyone's scouting radar.
    Um. That's a pretty a-hole thing to bring up someone's kids. If you want to ask the question about where they play and whether there's any potential, fine. But let's keep the commentary to the kids who have at least chosen to be part of the college hockey community.
    "What about my asthma?"
    "Where'd you come from - a scotch ad?"

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
      When I watched that replay many times, it is a break, but I describe it as bouncing off the boards to the left side of the net (not over the net), deflecting off the goalies left skate, then deflecting off the back of the goalies right skate and settling in an open crease.
      This is what it looked like to me both live and on the replay in the arena. Jake looked like he felt it behind him and reached to corral it but it was already to his right having bounced off of his skate.

The boards were...quite lively.

BU Alum '07

Comment

Originally posted by joen05 View Post
        The boards were...quite lively lousy.
        fyp...

SO inconsistent...either lively or dead spots...

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          Not sure what Tkachuk's draft stock is right now but only 8 goals? Isn't he being touted as a top 10 pick? In the times I saw him this year, I just didn't see it.

Different position and body type but I see Quinn Hughes this weekend and say yep that is a top 10 talent.
          If in fact he still is considered a top talent, it would have to fit in the category of 'still in development'. Even though I too found some of what he did frustrating, as the second youngest collegiate player this year, we probably should leave some room for maturity. McAvoy as a recent example, despite being a dynamic talent, had at least one massive give-away a game his freshman year (any maybe sophomore as well), before developing into quite the pro so far. In his defense, Tkachuk did have a solid pool of assists during the year and was a key in many of the goals in getting to the elite 8. With the exception of Greenway, he definitely had a large target on his back likely due to his name and rank, which is something he will continue to have to adjust to. I was at the game yesterday and was ****ed at the lack of back checking on the late goal, but that stuff happens to 18 year olds. If we are going to continue to recruit kids rather than young adults, this stuff is going to happen.

I am very much looking forward to having him back, if BU is where he chooses to continue to develop as a player. I find the development process of these types of players among the top reasons to continue to go to the games. If we were to switch recruiting strategies and begin to take older players, I would find it a far less compelling product as a fan even if having a more mature McAvoy and Clayton Keller is a pipe dream.
          "What about my asthma?"
          "Where'd you come from - a scotch ad?"

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
            fyp...

SO inconsistent...either lively or dead spots...
            I didn't see/notice many dead spots (perhaps because if it did die off the boards it didn't seem to affect BU much), but the lively bounces were very noticeable. The many whiffs where it seemed like the puck wasn't moving on the ice as players would expect it was awful all weekend.

BU Alum '07

Comment

Originally posted by SpauldingSmails View Post
              Particularly around Boston, BC is the default choice due to a number of factors, but is likely driven by actually having a football team and having a consistently strong hockey team. My sons hockey team is way leaning towards BC, with the BU supporters being children of alumni or one degree of separation from the program in one way or another. I always found it a little striking that the blue collar folks in MA would cheer for a school that has among the wealthiest students in the country, but people tend to choose winners (which BC has been super consistent). I would also argue that BC has done a far superior job of youth-level outreach with their players that I have not seen from BU, which definitely drives loyalty early. Whether PC/UMASS or UCONN are better basketball schools is completely irrelevant and has little impact on the fan base outside of alumni.
              I think people in this thread are missing the thing that makes BC the default choice for many. If you are Catholic or were raised Catholic you root for BC, even if you don't know anybody who actually went to school there (this is also true for Notre Dame). Plenty of Catholic people root for BC sports just because of this.

BU as a non-denominational private school doesn't have any quality that draws in this crossover appeal like a Catholic school would or a public university would for people who live in the state. The only reason anybody would root for BU is if they went there or are related to somebody who did.

This is my experience as somebody who was raised Catholic but attended BU.
              #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                That's what I initially thought. But unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, when I watched it again last night it didn't go "around" the net - it went OVER and then it hit the back of his skate and caromed off to the side. Maybe someone else can confirm this. It was down the other end from where we were sitting and difficult to see live, but it didn't look like there was any way it could have hit Oettinger's skate if it bounced directly out because the net was in the way. The only way it could have hit his skate was for it to go over the net and land behind him. If you look at the replay again, it's almost like when you short hop a ball against a wall. It hops up into the air. If it hit the board flush and came out along the ice it would have HAD to hit the back of the net.

It reminded me of Red Hot Hockey (I think it was in 2010). The puck came off the netting, hit the goaltender in the back and caromed into the net. Cornell swore it was a goal. The referees didn't see the puck hit the netting so they literally didn't know where it came from. Review showed that it hit the net so it was out of play.
                99% sure it did NOT go over the net. Seemed like a low, hard shot that was off-angle wide of the right post so that the rebound angled back into the crease from that same right post (Oettinger's left), hit Oettinger and then over to the open Michigan player on the other post.

BU got some tough bounces in this one but I did think one of the BU goals was offsides, even though it passed a review (didn't seem conclusive enough to overturn it). Honestly the shot that went in off a shin pad was the weirdest one in my opinion. Either way, two shots that were going WAY wide of the net and both ended up in the net one way or another.
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I'd also like to point out that it was impressive to watch Greenway play after coming back from the Olympics. He was unstoppable at times but I like that he is all business. Doesn't get sucked into the chirping and doesn't chirp back at all. Just all business on the ice, all business on the bench and back on the ice again. I think it plays well to his game.
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Greenway just signed. Wishing him tremendous success!

Comment

Happy with how BU's season played out and gives me hope for next year. Lost to a better team although a few critical boners didn't help complete with goalie misplaying puck (yes, I realize the bounce off the boards was unexpected but as the announcer correctly observed he should have been hugging the post and that puck never gets behind him) and a horrific turnover in front of our own net (Hickey I think on the 4th goal). But, they played hard. It was good to see.

I have to laugh about this "New England school" lunacy. THERE IS NO NEW ENGLAND SCHOOL! Nobody outside of BC gives a rat's a ss about BC athletics, much like nobody outside of BU gives a rat's a ss about it, or Providence, or UConn, or UMass or whatever. There is no equivalent to the casual fan backing Georgia or Duke or Michigan in those places.
                      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                        I have to laugh about this "New England school" lunacy. THERE IS NO NEW ENGLAND SCHOOL! Nobody outside of BC gives a rat's a ss about BC athletics, much like nobody outside of BU gives a rat's a ss about it, or Providence, or UConn, or UMass or whatever. There is no equivalent to the casual fan backing Georgia or Duke or Michigan in those places.
                        Pretty much.

Comment

a horrific turnover in front of our own net (Hickey I think on the 4th goal)
                          That was difficult to see and I'm still not sure. When I saw it live I thought it was one of those plays where he tried to "slide" it over to Crotty and it just "stuck" on the ice (I still say the ice wasn't good - not an excuse because obviously it's the same for both teams - but when they close down time and space you have to make a perfect play and he might have only got 50% "wood" on it). When I watched it again last night it LOOKED like Slaker actually got his stick in there and smothered the pass. OK, yeah, it's still a turnover but it's not like he just gave it away. In other words, not an "unforced error" as they say in tennis. The one that REALLY took away any chance at all (because I still think they could have scored after pulling Oettinger) was the fifth goal which, again, you have to give Michigan credit. Instead of sitting on the lead they kept pressing forward. A lot of teams in that situation would have just dumped in in and made BU go 200 feet. I actually think BU was caught a little flat-footed because they were thinking "offense" and before you know it, it's a two-on-one and in the back of the net. Game over. Season over (to paraphrase John Stirling).

THERE IS NO NEW ENGLAND SCHOOL!
                          I respectfully disagree. I can name dozens of friends who never went to any of the schools but cheer for BC. Agreed that it's mostly because they're the only legitimate D1 football school (sorry UConn), but still, it brings recognition. Point being, they're not "choosing" BU if they're neutral. They're not choosing Stonehill. They're not choosing Curry. They're not choosing Holy Cross. Get it?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            Well sorry to see him go, but he has to move on. Enjoyed watching him play here. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              Best of luck to Jordan - he has developed very nicely this year and I think he will be a great fit in the NHL.

BU Alum '07

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                                Well it sure is "Massachusetts' School" at least...
                                Exactly...I know there are plenty of those subway alums at UConn and Providence that follow those hoop programs!
                                Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Working...
                                X