Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
    BU should be strong at center next year with Bobo, Bowers and Wise, allowing Amonte to go back to his natural RW position. Farabee should find a home on one of the top two lines. The two U18s have been skating on the same line for about 5 or 6 weeks and are piling up the points. Wise--up to 36 points, good for a tie for fifth on the U18s despite missing 24 games in the fall--could easily be a 2nd round pick in June. Farabee, an expected first-round pick, is second on the U18s with 64 points.

Besides the other two U18 forwards, Weiss and DeBoer, it looks like there will be another graduate transfer joining the forwards next season. Wondering if Quinn will add another with Greenway’s departure. BU recently had been in the mix for Penticton forward Grant Cruickshank, a Wisconsin decommit who verballed to CC.

Nice work here by Farabee to set up Wise’s second goal on Saturday.
    https://***********/USHL/status/977711687099994112
    I think we're losing a lot of size with Greenway, Olsson, and Phelps all departing. I know Curry and Chabot like to throw their bodies around and Tkachuk will still be here (though I am really not sold on that) but I hope one or two of the freshmen are big guys that like to hit.

Comment

You guys did pretty good. But next year Maine will kick you *** over tea kettle.

Comment

Originally posted by DLG View Post
        why would we have to play 2 against Arizona State. Can't they find another local school to play one against and that team can go to Arizona in a future year
        For a team struggling to sell tickets 2 exhibition games plus 2 against Arizona isn't very compelling
        Since only the BC game sells out makes it a difficult to attract season ticket holders
        Yes. The attendance thing is discouraging, and is only augmented by the fact that it feels like the students are on vacation for a lot of the bigger games. The only (and it is slight) caveat for me is that my seats are way better when the game is less crowded than more crowded. I sit on the aisle and when the game is full, the casual fans don't know that they should wait for the whistle to get up. That said, I would still much rather have a crowd! I'm not certain, but it looks like they have opened up some seats for regular season ticket holders that were previously reserved for 'club' (though I could be remembering this wrong.) I like the people in my section, otherwise I would definitely upgrade.
        "What about my asthma?"
        "Where'd you come from - a scotch ad?"

Comment

Originally posted by kbz View Post
          I for one thought the strategy was working well and was refreshing to see as it prevented mistakes that plagued the team all season. Breaking down the 5 Michigan goals:

1. Crone tried to be cute and execute a one-time touch pass from the half wall instead of clearing it up along the boards. Pass gets intercepted which leads to Michigan setting up in the zone for the first goal. Seemed like Oettinger got screened.

2. Power play shot in the slot. Reminded me of a bunch of Patrice Bergeron goals this season from the "bumper" position. Don't blame Oettinger for that one either.

3. Fluke goal, but as others have pointed out, Oettinger could have been positioned better which could have prevented the goal.

4. Hickey, Hickey, Hickey. Whether he fanned on the pass or it was deflected, that's a dangerous pass with a defender that close. Again, abandoned the up the wall strategy which lead to this goal as well. Can't blame Oettinger on the deflection off Curry's leg.

5. At the game, Farrance was deep in the offensive zone but he had forward coverage at the blue line. That forward (I think Greenway) didn't stay back on D which lead to the odd man rush. Not blaming Greenway as I think at that time BU seemed to be more aggressive trying to tie the game. I didn't notice Tkachuk not rushing to get back and I have no desire to watch the replay again (still too painful). I think Oettinger misplayed the 2 on 1 and was out of position.

The only goal I can't blame Oettinger for is #4. All the others you could argue weren't his fault either, however a big time goalie needs to save some of those in the playoffs.

It's painful because I thought BU carried the play more than Michigan, and I really thought that BU was finally playing smart, disciplined hockey. I think they reverted in terms of the giveaways and I don't think Olsson's penalty was a good one (I don't remember it as being needed to prevent a Michigan opportunity). Cockerill's penalty was a poor call but it didn't lead to a Michigan goal. Michigan showed they had the talent to capitalize on mistakes with a quick strike offense. It hurts because I think BU has a better record if these teams play 10 times (with BU playing smart), but Michigan was better Sunday afternoon.
          Very good analysis. Cutting down on the stupid mistakes (particularly goals #3 and #4) and maybe we walk away with the win. Problem is BU tends to be prone to these in big games but hopefully as the team matures and has some big game experience to draw on they'll get better in this department.
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

I'd like to canvas opinion regarding Hank Crone.

While having no access to inside knowledge, I thought there were expectations that he would be a contributor from the start, though not to the Tkachuk/Bowers level.

Well, that didn't happen. While others may think differently, I didn't notice him most of he games he was in the lineup.

How do you feel about his prospects for future seasons?
            Last edited by buoldtimer; 03-27-2018, 09:27 AM.
            if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Old pal Hokydad was pumping up Crone. But yes, beyond him, there was hype/expectations for Crone.

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                I'd like to canvas opinion regarding Hank Crone.

While having no access to inside knowledge, I thought there were expectations that he would be a contributor from the start, though not to the Tkachuk/Bowers level.

Well, that didn't happen. While others may think differently, I didn't notice him most of he games he was in the lineup.

How do you feel about his prospects for future seasons?
                I, too, thought Crone would contribute more than he did. He clearly struggled during the 1st half adjusting to the pace and physicality. For his size he's not an elite skater, so he has to rely on his cleverness to be successful.

I definitely noticed improvement in the 2nd half. 9 of his 12 points came starting with the @ UNH win on January 12.

The optimist in me thinks he could be primed to make a leap next season and provide secondary scoring on the 2nd/3rd line, and on one of the PP units. Crone put up identical numbers (2-10-12) as Evan Rodrigues, a similar-type of player, in their Freshman year.
                Also, he demonstrated significant improvement during each of his 3 USHL seasons (11 points in 2014-15; 42 points in 2015-16; 63 points in 2016-17), so there's a pattern and learning curve that may also repeat itself.

The skeptic in me is concerned if he doesn't improve, does he get buried in the depth chart and become Ryan Cloonan 2.0? Crone NEEDS to get stronger and a little faster; IMO his development this offseason is crucial to his future success at BU.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                  The skeptic in me is concerned if he doesn't improve, does he get buried in the depth chart and become Ryan Cloonan 2.0? Crone NEEDS to get stronger and a little faster; IMO his development this offseason is crucial to his future success at BU.
                  I agree he risks getting lost in the roster shuffle if he doesn't show improvement. Cloonan's a bit of a special case though in that he has an elite-level skill (skating) that warranted his continued inclusion in the lineup, but he can literally do nothing else at a productive level. He hasn't scored since Nov 6, 2015 and has played ~75 games since, amassing about 18 assists in that time. Crone doesn't have that one elite skill that would keep him in the lineup if his offensive production fell off that sharply.

I don't remember him being one of the most highly-touted recruits of the class coming in last year, in fact was he one of the ones who was fast-tracked in when JFK and Bellows left early? He'll have to earn his ice time next season, though he did begin to progress in the second half so I'd be surprised if he's not given ample opportunity in the fall to stay in the lineup.
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                    I like our forward core next year, but will need at least one freshmen to contribute.

Tier One:
                    Bobo
                    Harper
                    Cockerill
                    Bowers

Tier Two:
                    Curry
                    Tkachuck
                    Amonte

Nowhere to go but up
                    Crone
                    Chabot
                    Witkowski

Time to transfer:
                    Cloonan
                    Barring any more roster additions or subtractions (although based on Rogie's post it sounds like there may be some) my stab at the forwards would be:

Top 6 candidates: Bowers, Harper, Carpenter, Tkachuk, Cockerill, Farabee, and Wise

3rd line candidates: Curry, Crone, Amonte, and Weiss

4th line and depth: Chabot, Deboer, Quercia, Cloonan, and Witkowski

I think this coming year's personnel would give BU the option to spread the scoring threats around 3 lines (like the Penguins do), instead of putting all the best scorers together on the first 2 lines as they have done for virtually all of Quinn's tenure. I think the coaches tried to do this when they moved Carpenter to the 3rd line this year, but there weren't enough good options for his wings at the time for it to really work. This could look something like:

Farabee-Bowers-Harper
                    Tkachuk-Carpenter-Curry
                    Cockerill-Wise-Crone

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                      Barring any more roster additions or subtractions (although based on Rogie's post it sounds like there may be some) my stab at the forwards would be:

Top 6 candidates: Bowers, Harper, Carpenter, Tkachuk, Cockerill, Farabee, and Wise

3rd line candidates: Curry, Crone, Amonte, and Weiss

4th line and depth: Chabot, Deboer, Quercia, Cloonan, and Witkowski

I think this coming year's personnel would give BU the option to spread the scoring threats around 3 lines (like the Penguins do), instead of putting all the best scorers together on the first 2 lines as they have done for virtually all of Quinn's tenure. I think the coaches tried to do this when they moved Carpenter to the 3rd line this year, but there weren't enough good options for his wings at the time for it to really work. This could look something like:

Farabee-Bowers-Harper
                      Tkachuk-Carpenter-Curry
                      Cockerill-Wise-Crone
                      You list Curry as a 3rd Line Candidate, but project him to be on the 2nd Line?
                      if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                        You list Curry as a 3rd Line Candidate, but project him to be on the 2nd Line?
                        Yes, in an effort to spread around the scoring. If I were to stack the top 2 lines it'd look more like

Tkachuk-Bowers-Harper
                        Farabee-Carpenter-Cockerill/Wise

And that could be what the two PP units look like, but I think this team may have the personnel to spread the top forwards across 3 lines and have some of the lines have a "passenger" like Melanson with Greenway and Tkachuk.

Comment

Wouldn't leave Amonte out of the top 9 conversation. His six goals equal what Curry and Crone had combined. More importantly, he improved steadily, especially in the defensive zone.
                          The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

just saw this- impressed

Pretty awesome, but just ran into Boston University coach David Quinn, who flew to Nashville to surprise Jordan Greenway for his NHL debut. Quinn has been a father figure to Greenway

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post

I don't remember him being one of the most highly-touted recruits of the class coming in last year, in fact was he one of the ones who was fast-tracked in when JFK and Bellows left early? He'll have to earn his ice time next season, though he did begin to progress in the second half so I'd be surprised if he's not given ample opportunity in the fall to stay in the lineup.
                              My recollection is that Crone committed a long time ago. And he was initially slotted to come in last year (2016-17). When he committed, he was considered a high end recruit. It think expectations tempered with his low point total his first year in the USHL. Then, though he showed improvement, it worked out that he got pushed to 2017-18. With a third year in the USHL and improved point totals (he was among the league leaders in scoring), expectations grew that he would be able to step right in.
                              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

I've seen a lot of posters on this thread give their opinion Brady Tkachuk is almost a shoe-in to return. Is that the consensus with everyone? I would not be surprised if he bolts after the draft.

Also, is he even able to come back? Was he going to class? Or did he have the Dan LaCouture/Chris Bourque "academic" year?

Comment

Working...
                                X