X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

Continue
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

I think Nick was correct. If there is a regional that sells out or comes close this should be it. Two of the better traveling local schools, Cornell who typically has a good fan base plus a larger nations name. Plus the game is on a Saturday, not during normal working hours.

Will be interesting to see how it does.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
      I think Nick was correct. If there is a regional that sells out or comes close this should be it. Two of the better traveling local schools, Cornell who typically has a good fan base plus a larger nations name. Plus the game is on a Saturday, not during normal working hours.

Will be interesting to see how it does.
      Agreed. I meant to go into the DCU Center site last night and "buy" tickets (just to see what was left before exiting out), because the site is blocked at my work, but I forgot. I'll check again tonight. It would be interesting because there were a lot of sections that were already "unavailable" when I went to the box office Sunday (and I was AT the box office 27 minutes after it was announced on the selection show where we would be). I am hoping for a great crowd.

Comment

Ummm, why did the other thread get deleted?
        BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
          Ummm, why did the other thread get deleted?
          Maybe it was accidentally deleted when the admins were removing the spam? Either that or Mookie said something really bad.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
            Agreed. I meant to go into the DCU Center site last night and "buy" tickets (just to see what was left before exiting out), because the site is blocked at my work, but I forgot. I'll check again tonight. It would be interesting because there were a lot of sections that were already "unavailable" when I went to the box office Sunday (and I was AT the box office 27 minutes after it was announced on the selection show where we would be). I am hoping for a great crowd.
            Please let me know what you find out. I don't have the luxury of swinging by, and as I vented on the deleted thread, I would really prefer to not have to pay TM $19 in fees.
            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

I had this queued up for Tater when the thread got deleted:

Originally posted by Tater
              As you mentioned, almost every year they would have at least a couple of teams switching regions so the above was a rare scenario unlikely to be repeated if the format continued. Just the year before this North Dakota, Minnesota, and CC all got sent East. Still would prefer this format, though it gave the top 2 seeds with byes a HUGE advantage. BU really benefitted in the 90s hosting in Worcester every other year.

2 years ago in Worcester BC, PC, HU, and UMD only mustered just over 4500. I had no memory it was that bad and are now more inclined to agree with your estimate. EDIT: Around 6700 for the first day though!
              The most recent Worcester one you're talking about was a Friday/Saturday. Ideally, Saturday is the day you want for the semifinals. And on top of that, starting the games at 1 and 4:30 are great times. You don't have a later starting game. Would be a great take for kids except the whole price factor. Good luck if you wanted to go as a family to one of these things. My son isn't old enough to go but thankfully my wife is letting me go to these games. My last hockey weekend of the year.

Really, aside from the prices and North Dakota hosting a regional, this is as good a regional atmosphere wise as you could ask for. Doesn't guarantee anything for the regional final on a late Sunday afternoon with only one game instead of two and the potential for that game to be Michigan vs. Cornell but Saturday looks very promising for attendance. The Saturday final in Worcester would have looked a little different if it was BC-PC instead of BC-UMD.

Comment

One other thing I meant to add is this isn't a case where these schools are in local regionals every year. BU has been in Manchester a couple times but last time in Worcester was I believe that 2006 game against BC...is that correct? And I can't recall NU ever being in Worcester or even in the east. Last two trips for them were out west. Cornell was in Manchester last year but this is closest regional for them since Albany in 2010. That's a long time for a hockey crazed school like Cornell. And of course Michigan has a large national following. I know they have been in Bridgeport and Manchester before but can't remember them being in Worcester before. I'm sure they will have some good fan support and an alumni base in Boston area. Although, their hoops team is playing in LA this week but not sure what the impact of that would be. Very much looking forward to this even if it is just Worcester

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                  Please let me know what you find out. I don't have the luxury of swinging by, and as I vented on the deleted thread, I would really prefer to not have to pay TM $19 in fees.
                  I will post as soon as I get home tonight and look.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                    And of course Michigan has a large national following. I know they have been in Bridgeport and Manchester before but can't remember them being in Worcester before. I'm sure they will have some good fan support and an alumni base in Boston area. Although, their hoops team is playing in LA this week but not sure what the impact of that would be. Very much looking forward to this even if it is just Worcester
                    Interesting supposition....because I posted all of that hotel information 24 hours ago on the Michigan thread (not that it is necessarily an indicator of anything) and have yet to receive one response. In fact, there hasn't even been a post on their thread, so I'm assuming hockey may be secondary right about now for them. Either that or they have a very small presence on this board...

Comment

One other thing I meant to add is this isn't a case where these schools are in local regionals every year. BU has been in Manchester a couple times but last time in Worcester was I believe that 2006 game against BC...is that correct? And I can't recall NU ever being in Worcester or even in the east. Last two trips for them were out west. Cornell was in Manchester last year but this is closest regional for them since Albany in 2010. That's a long time for a hockey crazed school like Cornell. And of course Michigan has a large national following. I know they have been in Bridgeport and Manchester before but can't remember them being in Worcester before. I'm sure they will have some good fan support and an alumni base in Boston area. Although, their hoops team is playing in LA this week but not sure what the impact of that would be. Very much looking forward to this even if it is just Worcester
                      I don't have the documentation at hand, but I recall that they played UNH in Worcester in 2003, maybe? Same doubleheader as BU-Harvard.
                      if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                        I don't have the documentation at hand, but I recall that they played UNH in Worcester in 2003, maybe? Same doubleheader as BU-Harvard.
                        Wrong, that was UNH - St Cloud.
                        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                          Wrong, that was UNH - St Cloud.
                          Close...Red & Blue / Maize and Blue

Comment

Let's try this again. I investigated.

In 1999, Michigan played in Worcester, when the site was referred to as The Centrum.

They defeated Denver 5-3, before losing the final to UNH 2-1 in OT.

Comment

Ah wait he's right though that Michigan was out here another time in this era. I think they may have actually come out a couple times in late 90s and lost to Maine one year and UNH another. Been a while though.

Comment

Working...
                              X