This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    Andy Murray, head coach of Western Michigan, doesn’t have a degree, so it’s not an NCAA rule.

Sean
    Fernie Flaman never had a college degree. Did he even have a high school diploma when he coached Northeastern? Don McKenney, who succeeded him, also had no college educational background.

For Fernie's alma mater, it used to simply list "No College." Some people thought it meant North College. Which might exist in the imagination somewhere in Saskatchewan.
    Last edited by Harry Cleverly; 06-04-2018, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

Some traction on the Twittersphere that there will be a press conference Wednesday announcing the new coach. Some believe that it's Albie. Nothing solid there.
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

From an old Washington Post story on college players finishing their course work to get their degrees.

“A bachelor’s degree is required to coach college hockey, another reason graduating is important to Orpik.”

New rule perhaps or just fake news.
        It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
          Andy Murray, head coach of Western Michigan, doesn’t have a degree, so it’s not an NCAA rule.

Sean
          The job posting for this coaching position undoubtedly required a BA/BS degree.

Fernie Flaman? He retired from the NHL in 1963. It's a different world today.

Comment

If the degree rule is BU's, I like it. As a parent, I would feel better if I knew the coach has experienced the rigors involved in not just being in college, but actually working at it enough to get a degree.

I would welcome the Albie/McEachern duo, and could see Shawn taking the AC role, unlike some others have said. BU is at a different level in terms of exposure and caliber of players that he would be helping recruit than his previous stops. If he wants to be a college HC someday, this role could still be a good move, IMHO.

Glad it appears this will be concluding soon. If it is Albie, I suspect we won't lose any 2018 recruits.
            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• signs point to Albie.. good guy, would be effortless transition. g'luck
              GO NU HOCKEY
              Always bullish on the future.
              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

The degree is an NCAA requirement, maybe it wasn't back in the day, but it is now. Granato was able to take the Wisconsin job without a degree but with a plan to earn it in under a year. Sounds like BU may be uninterested in using that loophole/exception, I don't have strong feelings either way on how I feel about that stance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                  Wouldn't it be something if a kid skipped a voluntary workout to study for finals and the BU coach was like '*** you skipped a workout, you're outta here!'
                  Thankfully those days are in the past. But thank you for reminding us...

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Mike McMahon @MikeMcMahonCHN 2h
                    Told Freddy Meyer also applied at BU, but is out of the running. Has been in charge of the East Coast Wizards (EHL) since 2014 and was an assistant with Manchester (then in the AHL) prior to that. Meyer has earned the reputation as a top talent developer in the region.
                    Wonder how many others applied with little fanfare.
                    The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

The announcement of the new head coach will be made at 1:00 p.m. tomorrow and will be live streamed on the BU website.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                        The announcement of the new head coach will be made at 1:00 p.m. tomorrow and will be live streamed on the BU website.
                        Where'd you see this?
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                          Where'd you see this?
                          My friend was asked to be the MC at the presser but was unable to due to a previous commitment. They called him at Noon today.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                            My friend was asked to be the MC at the presser but was unable to due to a previous commitment. They called him at Noon today.
                            Your friend have any insight as to who would be announced? :P
                            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

I don’t know who it is, but the speculation seems to be that it’s Albie. Partly because it wasn’t a long, drawn out process is the thinking.
                              Last edited by chickod; 06-05-2018, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Officially Albie O’Connell per email from BU AD.

Comment

Working...
                                X