X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

Originally posted by In the blue View Post
    I would completely disagree. Shooting the puck
    I used to think they should make backhand shots illegal at younger ages. The girls would then practice their backhands because they were forbidden, and they may be able to shoot backhand when they got older.

Comment

Originally posted by In the blue View Post
      Admittedly, when I first saw the the article on the Lets Play Hockey website, shooting the puck was what popped into my head. That's why Zoom Boom stands as much out much as she does. The other things that the article mentioned as well as shooting the puck...The mental aspect and the ability to see and use open ice are valid opinions as well.
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

I think it depends on the level. Certainly if you're talking the very top 'USA and Canadian Olympic level' it's not passing and receiving. For those elite players the way they can give and catch passes is a real treat to watch. But even at that highest level of play many or even most of them are not what you would call elite shooters, in terms of combining accuracy, velocity and a quick release.

FiveHole, you mention Zoom Boom. She definitely has the velocity aspect down, but she still has to work on getting the shot off quicker, with better accuracy. When she winds up she's "a blast" to watch, but usually everyone in the building (including the opposing goalie) knows it's coming! I really hope Frosty pairs her with #19, who has the ability to slide passes right in Z's wheelhouse for perfect one-timer opportunities.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          I think it depends on the level. Certainly if you're talking the very top 'USA and Canadian Olympic level' it's not passing and receiving. For those elite players the way they can give and catch passes is a real treat to watch. But even at that highest level of play many or even most of them are not what you would call elite shooters, in terms of combining accuracy, velocity and a quick release.

FiveHole, you mention Zoom Boom. She definitely has the velocity aspect down, but she still has to work on getting the shot off quicker, with better accuracy. When she winds up she's "a blast" to watch, but usually everyone in the building (including the opposing goalie) knows it's coming! I really hope Frosty pairs her with #19, who has the ability to slide passes right in Z's wheelhouse for perfect one-timer opportunities.
          Zoom Boom's wrist shot isn't too shabby as well. I share your hope that Zumwinkle gets paired up with #19 but as ARM pointed out, Zumwinkle was pretty good with Taylor Wente last year and another Taylor coming in this year could also be a potential line mate. This coming season offers a much different forward group with kind of the opposite issue of last year were it was a struggle to put together an elite first line. This year will not have that problem and will be stronger with their second and third lines.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
            Zoom Boom's wrist shot isn't too shabby as well. I share your hope that Zumwinkle gets paired up with #19 but as ARM pointed out, Zumwinkle was pretty good with Taylor Wente last year and another Taylor coming in this year could also be a potential line mate. This coming season offers a much different forward group with kind of the opposite issue of last year were it was a struggle to put together an elite first line. This year will not have that problem and will be stronger with their second and third lines.
            Yes, lots of possible combinations that should make for two very dangerous offensive-minded lines plus another that should be capable of going up against many other teams' first line. Re: Zum and Pannek, I do hope that Frosty at least tries them together and gives them the opportunity to develop some chemistry. There's something about combining the team's best passer with the team's best shooter that I find very intriguing. If that doesn't work out I'm pretty sure we'll see plenty of them together on the team's first power play unit.

Comment

• Originally posted by In the blue View Post
              While I agree that shooting is #1, the teams that control the puck best are typically going to win since the shooting epidemic is across the board. The teams that possess the puck best generate more scoring chances throughout games so they typically score more goals than their opponents. Good puck possession requires good passing/receiving skills.

More than that, in practices drill killers are the players that can't give/receive passes well. Nothing frustrated my coaches more than setting up great flow drills that would be killed by the players that were poor passers/receivers. The timing would slow way down or even come to a grinding halt and we'd have to reset because of those players. It would wreck a great practice. You could see how irritated the coaching staff got whenever that happened. If at the end of a drill you couldn't shoot the puck too well, at least that didn't interrupt and ruin the drill. That's why passing stands out as the weakest skill to almost every coach of female hockey teams especially to the male coaches.
              Last edited by shelfit; 07-24-2018, 11:00 AM.

Comment

For last year's Gophers, it was definitely passing/receiving. Most of them can shoot pretty well, although some are better than others at getting the shot off. But if I had a dollar for every pass that misfired last year ...
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I think if you are comparing girls to boys, it’s shooting where girls are weaker. But if you’re looking at elite girls to non elite girls, the difference is that the elite group has an awareness and understanding of the game that the non elite dont. It’s not that they shoot the puck so much harder than the rest of the girls (but sure, everyone should practice their shooting).

The 2nd BC goal in this BCI article shows what I mean. Watts’ pass isn’t a bullet, it’s not long, it’s not threading a ton of needles. But I bet most players couldn’t resist shooting in that instance. Instead she passes and her teammate has an open net. Not sure if this is the kind of passing the article was referring to, but this play making is what I see as differentiating the best girls from the rest.

https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...inal-score-4-2

FWIW here’s an article that talks about the lost art of passing, in general, not specific to any gender: https://thecoachessite.com/2018/05/0...skill-passing/

Comment

To keep it more on Minnesota topic, I would love to see a Zumwinkle college highlight vid some day. Looked up her stats, pretty impressive freshman year as WCHA scoring champion. I also had to look up number 19 to figure out who you guys were talking about. Yes that could be quite the duo.

Comment

• Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                      While I agree that shooting is #1, the teams that control the puck best are typically going to win since the shooting epidemic is across the board.
                      Missed this the first read through. I agree, Shelfit.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                        To keep it more on Minnesota topic, I would love to see a Zumwinkle college highlight vid some day. Looked up her stats, pretty impressive freshman year as WCHA scoring champion. I also had to look up number 19 to figure out who you guys were talking about. Yes that could be quite the duo.
                        Not a college highlight video but from high school...She is one heck of an athlete.

http://video.startribune.com/boom-wa...hot/412219243/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_-yh40t9vA

https://www.gameonmn.com/news_articl...3?referral=rss

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                          Great links, thank you. Watched the longer one with my four year old. She’s a hockey fan but also shares a name with Zum so I knew she would especially like it when I told her that. I assume Zumwinkle will show up in some Gopher hi-lights once the season starts.

The one article references former Gopher, Ronda Curtin Engelhardt as coach of Breck; Engelhardt was recently named the Minnesota Whitecaps co-coach as well, with Jack Brodt.

Comment

Meet the Newcomers: Gracie Ostertag

GS: What's one part of your game that you feel really confident in...?
                            GO: My physical aspect in the defensive zone is something I'm confident in. I'm really good at breaking the puck out and seeing what's available.

Two strengths the coaches and fans will very much appreciate.

https://gophersports.com/news/2018/7...-ostertag.aspx

Comment

My daughter has played against Gracie a few times over the years as they are the same age. SSM was really good, all great players from front to back, and Gracie stood out in that group, she was fun to watch. Very solid defender and has a very good shot. I don't root for your Minnesota Gophers but I will say that you have a real star in the works there with Gracie Ostertag. My opinion...Olympic potential.

Comment

2018-19 Roster is up, with updated bios but sans photos of the incoming freshmen.

https://gophersports.com/roster.aspx?path=whockey

Comment

Working...
                                X