This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

Looking at the wreckage from across the country on the scoreboard, I guess coming away with two wins is a successful weekend, but this was another really poor effort bailed out by a miracle shot. Five Hole Frenzy is right about the breakout, except that it's not a new problem. The Gophers have been predictable on this for years. At even a hint of pressure, they drop the puck back behind the net and give the other team a chance to set up their forecheck. At some point, they need to change things up.

The passing is back to last year's level. It looked even worse today, because the puck was really sticking to the ice, but there are still too many times when they refuse to see that an opposing player is standing right in the lane they proceed to pass the puck through. Knowles did that today, which led to Bemidji's breakaway goal.

There was a lot of visible frustration on the part of the Minnesota players this weekend. They have two weeks to figure out how to channel that in productive ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
      Looking at the wreckage from across the country on the scoreboard, I guess coming away with two wins is a successful weekend, but this was another really poor effort bailed out by a miracle shot. Five Hole Frenzy is right about the breakout, except that it's not a new problem. The Gophers have been predictable on this for years. At even a hint of pressure, they drop the puck back behind the net and give the other team a chance to set up their forecheck. At some point, they need to change things up.

The passing is back to last year's level. It looked even worse today, because the puck was really sticking to the ice, but there are still too many times when they refuse to see that an opposing player is standing right in the lane they proceed to pass the puck through. Knowles did that today, which led to Bemidji's breakaway goal.

There was a lot of visible frustration on the part of the Minnesota players this weekend. They have two weeks to figure out how to channel that in productive ways.
      We talked about it in the preseason. Get the puck to Zoom Boom. Turns out to be the difference today.
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
        We talked about it in the preseason. Get the puck to Zoom Boom. Turns out to be the difference today.
        And better things would happen when she can blister one from a better angle, as was the case on her goal today. One criticism I have is when they feed her the puck on the power play for the one-timer blast she's at too wide of an angle to have a decent chance of beating the goalie, no matter how hard her shot may be. They need to work the puck around faster - and not all around the perimeter - until she can get open for a more direct angle. If the play is not there then someone else should be open for a better opportunity from close-in range.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          And better things would happen when she can blister one from a better angle, as was the case on her goal today. One criticism I have is when they feed her the puck on the power play for the one-timer blast she's at too wide of an angle to have a decent chance of beating the goalie, no matter how hard her shot may be. They need to work the puck around faster - and not all around the perimeter - until she can get open for a more direct angle. If the play is not there then someone else should be open for a better opportunity from close-in range.
          To your point...This year, the Gopher's power play is pretty disappointing by their normal standards. And likewise the penalty kill. Too much talent to be where both of those are ranked currently.

Comment

I assume they are looking for a redirect

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
              I assume they are looking for a redirect
              I think redirecting a onetimer by 12 would be easier said than done, unless it just happens to hit you (not recommended). She has scored a few goals on those already in her career, so I don't agree with D2D that it is as low a percentage play as he thinks. If nothing else, the D isn't likely to block it and the goalie is going to have a hard time controlling the rebound, so if she puts it on frame, it is a nice opening volley. It is easier for the D to block it if she is on top of the umbrella, although early in the game, it may dissuade people from wanting to block so many shots. But if it gets blocked from the top, it could lead to a scoring chance for the other team, if the shot blocker is still upright.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

To your point...This year, the Gopher's power play is pretty disappointing by their normal standards. And likewise the penalty kill. Too much talent to be where both of those are ranked currently.
                The Gophers have never had a season where they converted at a lesser rate than their opponents on the power play. They are currently at .194 to their opponents .214. The good news is that both rates are heading in the right direction. They had a .148 rate to their opponents .294 on October 23rd. A Gopher teams all time low was surprisingly in 2006 at .174, but they still held their opponents to the lesser rate of .149.
                Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 11-04-2018, 02:10 PM. Reason: The 2006 team did make it to the championship game though. Don't remember how the final game came out. Okay, half fake news.
                "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  I think redirecting a onetimer by 12 would be easier said than done, unless it just happens to hit you (not recommended). She has scored a few goals on those already in her career, so I don't agree with D2D that it is as low a percentage play as he thinks. If nothing else, the D isn't likely to block it and the goalie is going to have a hard time controlling the rebound, so if she puts it on frame, it is a nice opening volley. It is easier for the D to block it if she is on top of the umbrella, although early in the game, it may dissuade people from wanting to block so many shots. But if it gets blocked from the top, it could lead to a scoring chance for the other team, if the shot blocker is still upright.
                  Yeah, that works too - redirect or rebound. Chaos creates goals

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    I see your point but her winning power play goal on Saturday did not come from her usual stationary far left wing position, and it obviously was not blocked! To avoid having shots blocked from the point on the PP they need to move the puck quicker to get their opponent's box moving constantly while being aware of their positioning and to NOT take the shot when there is little space between the shot-taker and the opposing forward. What I've noticed is that Gophers' opponents (including their goalies, and pretty much everyone in the building) knows what's coming, and it's made the Gopher power play too one-dimensional. And when shooting from such a wide angle it's harder for the other two forwards to set a screen and even harder than normal to get a tip on one of her blasts. Plus, most of the rebounds will come back, not directly in front of the goal but back to that same side.

As bluffrinkrat notes our PP conversion rate is very low compared to normal at .194. Obviously that's not ideal or even good, so I do think it's time to make some adjustments. Despite dozens of one-timer attempts from her usual spot Saturday's PP goal was her first of the year, and it didn't come from that usual spot.

Please also note that in no way am I criticizing #12, who leads the team in goals (6) and has otherwise been terrific all over the ice. This is more a case of changing things up a bit to make her, and the overall power play, more effective than what we've seen thus far.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I would contend that a big reason why the PP conversion numbers are as low as they are is that the other unit with Pannek and the Potomaks has struggled as well, and in most of the games that I've seen, it had more than half of the PP minutes. Anyway, Frost did say that it was deliberate to move #12 to the other side to create shooting opportunities for her; obviously, a one-time shot isn't an option from the right side.
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

When a team or player stinks up the rink they hear about it, so it’s only fair when the fans stink up the rink they hear about it too.

Literally, fans stunk up the place. My guess is with the change in weather people dug out their cold weather gear but unfortunately hadn’t cleaned it since last winter. The worst was section 12, but maybe the smell in 14 was partially masked by the pizza stand. I sought refuge on the opposite side of the rink, which isn’t exactly free of strange scents given that’s where the concession stands are (boiled brat anyone?). Even the men’s room smelled better.
                        Ah!! The sweet smell of urinal bisquits!

Comment

Oh and it's probably too much to ask to not get out-adjusted by the opposition coaching staff on Saturday.

Ya know, if the opposition changes its forecheck for the second game of the series it's ok for you to make adjustments accordingly.
                          You are missing the master plan, it is intentional to not make adjustments in order to make make sure the second game is closer or even have to come from behind, they don't want to be stuck in a situation like BC always beating up cupcakes and then when you play teams that are as good as you and have no experience in those situations.

It is all part of the Master Plan, believe it!

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                            It is all part of the Master Plan
                            Admittedly, the sarcasm was working overtime this weekend. BTW, you wouldn't happen to know if that plan is funded by George Soros, would you?

Also I'll check with Ma to see if she cleaned my jacket before I wore it to the game. She did make sure I soaked in the tub until my fingers wrinkled, so I'm pretty sure I didn't stink...

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                              When a team or player stinks up the rink they hear about it, so it’s only fair when the fans stink up the rink they hear about it too.

Literally, fans stunk up the place. My guess is with the change in weather people dug out their cold weather gear but unfortunately hadn’t cleaned it since last winter. The worst was section 12, but maybe the smell in 14 was partially masked by the pizza stand. I sought refuge on the opposite side of the rink, which isn’t exactly free of strange scents given that’s where the concession stands are (boiled brat anyone?). Even the men’s room smelled better.
                              Ah!! The sweet smell of urinal bisquits!
                              We've sat in section 13 for 16 years or so and have never noticed an odor emanating from either section next to us. No nose plugs needed, although we are getting a lot older and our olfactories may not be functioning as well as in year's past. A few years ago we did wonder if we should bring earplugs to the game when a now defunct visiting team's fans would descend on Ridder and stand right behind us screaming their lungs out.

As far as the food goes, the pizza is much better now since our two favorite pizza servers began using the new bread formula. We do miss Drew's popcorn this year and I have calculated that the Incredible Shrinking Not So Hot Chocolate Cup will completely disappear in two years (more to follow).
                              Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 11-05-2018, 03:40 PM. Reason: There's a "Certified Compostable" cup?
                              "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Admittedly, the sarcasm was working overtime this weekend. BTW, you wouldn't happen to know if that plan is funded by George Soros, would you?

Also I'll check with Ma to see if she cleaned my jacket before I wore it to the game. She did make sure I soaked in the tub until my fingers wrinkled, so I'm pretty sure I didn't stink...
                                no, it is funded by PJ Fleck's wife who knows he isn't worth it

rather than check with your ma to see if she cleaned your jacket, check hers, it was a stale perfume odor

I guess I should have quoted an earlier thread talking about the OSU game

… to their credit in the Sat OSU game they executed what they were told to do … the center got the puck to her not just once, but on two faceoffs, and she put it on goal both times. It would be easy to Monday morning QB the coaches for this strategy, … only because it failed.

A few of you have criticized BC coaches for not changing in their thread. Having only seen them play in the NCAA tournament I’m not so sure that is a fair criticism. Coaches tend to stick with what got them there, only one team can win. The video posted of Brandt feeding Potomak in the 2016 final could just as easily be used to criticize the present Gophers, it is one of the few times over the last three years that a Gopher forward has been in proper position to receive the fruits of one of her team mates labor. Usually there is a pack of Gophers along the boards but nobody is in position to get a good shot on goal.

That’s one of the things I noticed immediately about Skaja that got me excited about her play when I first saw her, arriving at the net at the right time. This is something that is learned over time until it is automatic. The Gophers players spent most of their HS years with the puck on their stick, I’m sure it’s true of her too, but what you do when the puck isn’t on your stick is important too.
                                Last edited by pokechecker; 11-06-2018, 09:09 AM. Reason: $7 for a frozen pizza you can get for a buck at the store, mmmmm

Comment

Working...
                                X