X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
    From her reaction it looked to me like she didn't see Knowles game winning shot either. Screened maybe?
    Your right, That's probably the logical explanation...Seemed like a rather harmless shot that she didn't react to...
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

A much better game for the Gophers today. They played 3 strong periods instead of just the 1 1/2 like yesterday. Zoom Boom was amazing! It was nice to see #4 on the ice and getting presented with the Cup as well! Captain Tianna for the post game, I like it.

It was a 9 point Taylor weekend for the Gophers!
      Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 01-06-2019, 10:36 PM. Reason: A little more cold in the arena with around 1000 less fans though.
      "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

The Gophers were more solid than great today, but that is a standard I'm perfectly happy with at the moment. It was probably Kelly Pannek's best game since the last time we played St. Cloud, and I'd really like to see Skaja stay on the wing opposite S. Potomak for a while; that's been the best iteration of that line so far this year.

On Saturday, Zumwinkle demonstrated again that she can be mostly anonymous for two and a half periods and then become non-anonymous in a hurry. On Sunday, she showed she can take control of a game.

The defense was a lot better. Skarzynski still had a few shifts where she wandered all over the defensive zone, but all six of them played better than they did on Saturday.

I'm willing to chalk Saturday up as shaking off the rust from a month off. My only real concern is that the Potomaks remained largely invisible. To do damage against Wisconsin and in the postseason, we're going to need them to step up.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
          My only real concern is that the Potomaks remained largely invisible.
          I think that Amy has looked like a different player since moving to center at the end of the first half. She has meant a lot in the possession battle, even if it hasn't always resulted in scoring.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            I think that Amy has looked like a different player since moving to center at the end of the first half. She has meant a lot in the possession battle, even if it hasn't always resulted in scoring.
            I agree. I think Amy moves with the puck as well as or better than anyone else on the team. Finishing is the issue. I always thought Kelli Blankenship showed that tendency as well. She was brilliant carrying the puck down the ice but then, not so much once she got there.
            Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 01-07-2019, 02:43 PM. Reason: But then again nothing good can happen unless you get there first.

Comment

Somewhat under the radar but...In the IIHF Ice Hockey U18 World Championship series, Gopher recruits have shown pretty well. Sidney Shearen with the game winning goal against Russia in game one. The Human Highlight Film with 2 goals in the win against Canada earlier today. Skylar Vetter in goal for both wins.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                Somewhat under the radar but...In the IIHF Ice Hockey U18 World Championship series, Gopher recruits have shown pretty well. Sidney Shearen with the game winning goal against Russia in game one. The Human Highlight Film with 2 goals in the win against Canada earlier today. Skylar Vetter in goal for both wins.
                Thanks for posting that. I wasn't aware that the IIHF U18 World series was going on in Japan. Wasn't aware of Abbey Murphy, either. Watched her two goals on the USA Hockey website. "Human Highlight Film" indeed. Didn't notice that Crowell wasn't on UMD's bench this weekend, but I can't imagine that she was unless she caught an overnight flight yesterday to Japan.

Is Skylar related to Jessie?
                Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 01-07-2019, 06:08 PM. Reason: I guess there's more hockey going on than just at Ridder!

Comment

Is Skylar related to Jessie?
                  I think that was addressed by the recruiting gurus over on GPL and if I remember correctly, she it not.
                  Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 01-07-2019, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                    I think that was addressed by the recruiting gurus over on GPL and if I remember correctly, she it not.
                    You are correct. After a little research I found that she is related to former Penn State hockey player Christi Vetter though.
                    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 01-07-2019, 08:37 PM. Reason: From Shyler to Skylar a brief history of Gopher goalies?

Comment

After a little research I found that she is related to former Penn State hockey player Christi Vetter though.
                      Christi Vetter is still on the PSU roster (RS senior). She was on the USA U-18 roster back in the day for one of those August series versus Canada when it was held in Blaine. IIRC, at that time she was more focused on some other sport (track or CC?).

Comment

I was able to attend my first hockey games this past weekend at Ridder. Needless to say, my experience did not disappoint. As everyone agrees, what a truly fantastic facility. This wasn't my first visit but the first time I have watched games. I have been fortunate to see the whole facility previously and it is top notch. Attending the games was awesome. From the first moment I walked in, the staff was courteous and accommodating. The fans were respectful, friendly, and extremely knowledgeable. The snack bar food was good and easy to get as there are multiple locations around the rink. There is not a bad seat in the house and having the band there made it even more exciting. I will say that for the first year of the Minnesota Cup, it did not disappoint. By the measure of game play (and not the outcomes), the final should have been UMD vs. Minn. state.
                        My only criticism is the sound system. It sounded like I was sitting in a class with Charlie Brown. For such a great place, I was surprised the sound was so bad.

To the great people at the arena, thank you for making this a great experience, I look forward to the many more visits in the next few years.

Comment

Originally posted by agfire View Post
                          I was able to attend my first hockey games this past weekend at Ridder. Needless to say, my experience did not disappoint. As everyone agrees, what a truly fantastic facility. This wasn't my first visit but the first time I have watched games. I have been fortunate to see the whole facility previously and it is top notch. Attending the games was awesome. From the first moment I walked in, the staff was courteous and accommodating. The fans were respectful, friendly, and extremely knowledgeable. The snack bar food was good and easy to get as there are multiple locations around the rink. There is not a bad seat in the house and having the band there made it even more exciting. I will say that for the first year of the Minnesota Cup, it did not disappoint. By the measure of game play (and not the outcomes), the final should have been UMD vs. Minn. state.
                          My only criticism is the sound system. It sounded like I was sitting in a class with Charlie Brown. For such a great place, I was surprised the sound was so bad.

To the great people at the arena, thank you for making this a great experience, I look forward to the many more visits in the next few years.
                          Glad you were able to attend and enjoy the games. Ridder has some faults as you mentioned (surprised you thought the snack bar food was good ) but it is just such a good arena to watch a hockey game. We are very blessed as fans to be able to watch the Gopher women play here.

Comment

Originally posted by agfire View Post
                            . . . My only criticism is the sound system. It sounded like I was sitting in a class with Charlie Brown. For such a great place, I was surprised the sound was so bad.
                            This had been a topic of conversation for some time. The estimates I have heard for replacement are mind boggling, several hundred thousand dollars. That is going to take an extraordinary effort unless one of us wins the PowerBall

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                              The estimates I have heard for replacement are mind boggling, several hundred thousand dollars.
                              For that, they could get us all wireless headphones.

Comment

Our little group at Ridder was just saying this past weekend that we seemed to be able to understand the announcer better than in the past. Maybe he's new or there has been an improvement to the system? I will say that the sound system is a whole lot better at Ridder than Mariucci which is listening to the Charlie Brown adults on steroids.
                                Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 01-08-2019, 03:44 PM. Reason: And no we don't all have new hearing aids.

Comment

Working...
                                X