X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    No, that was a loooooong time ago and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edwsf-8F3sI
    Strange, we just got back from the X buying tickets to see him this Monday. Not getting Gopher men's season tickets this year freed up some money for other things.
    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      No, that was a loooooong time ago and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edwsf-8F3sI
      A wide variety here for sure but the original is quite good as is Nina Simone's version

Original

Nina Simone

I also like Muse's version and and if you've got 10 minutes to spare, Traffic's version is interesting.

Muse

Traffic
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
        I agree with all of this. Incompetence that evens out with a dash of what I perceive as indifference on Ludwig's part.
        Others I talk to disagree, but I think Ludwig/Kaehler is the worst crew in the WCHA. It's also possible that Greg Shepard disagrees, since they invariably ref the WCHA final and represent the conference in the NCAA tourney, but the historical record suggests that his just means that Shepard thinks of Bob Ludwig as family.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
          Others I talk to disagree, but I think Ludwig/Kaehler is the worst crew in the WCHA. It's also possible that Greg Shepard disagrees, since they invariably ref the WCHA final and represent the conference in the NCAA tourney, but the historical record suggests that his just means that Shepard thinks of Bob Ludwig as family.
          were you the guy screaming at him during the UMD game telling him he sucked ... yada yada?

the first penalty called by the other ref clearly he did not agree with, and I'm guessing that's why he let some go to make up for it

he doesn't suck, he blows

Comment

I have been watching many different games on flohockey in the WCHA. I must say the officiating is incredibly poor. If this league wants to be taken seriously, spend some money on refs. It seem like the refs also get intimidated by certain teams/staffs which should never happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Milty View Post
              It seem like the refs also get intimidated by certain teams/staffs which should never happen.
              You'd have really enjoyed 15 years ago when the Zamboni drivers always had to wait for the pre-intermission referee instruction sessions to be over before they could start the task of resurfacing.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Nice story about an amazing Gopher hockey player, Taylor Williamson.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/03/1...s-hockey-team/

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  You'd have really enjoyed 15 years ago when the Zamboni drivers always had to wait for the pre-intermission referee instruction sessions to be over before they could start the task of resurfacing.
                  There were more referees back then and they all needed "instructions," especially Doocy, Storey, Mendel and the Shepherds and mostly from "she who will not be named."

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                    Nice story about an amazing Gopher hockey player, Taylor Williamson.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/03/1...s-hockey-team/
                    "This is my life, and I'm OK with that."
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I'm trying to remember if a team that was this shaky defensively has ever won the national championship; no luck so far. Maybe it is all about perception, and the minute a team wins the title, we suddenly remember only its good and not its bad. And I do know that Princeton caused many of Minnesota's problems today, because Fillier in particular is wicked good.

On the plus side, Kelly Pannek was very good today. While part of me wonders where she was at other points of the season, I'm glad that she showed up today.

Comment

I'm trying to remember if a team that was this shaky defensively has ever won the national championship; no luck so far. Maybe it is all about perception, and the minute a team wins the title, we suddenly remember only its good and not its bad.
                        One thing, albeit a fairly small one, they need to work on is being able to one-time a shot without loading up before the pass is even made. Knowles had one today that she telegraphed so blatantly that the Princeton forward was about three feet away from her by the time the puck arrived, and #24 fired it anyway, almost leading to a breakaway the other direction.

Comment

because Fillier in particular is wicked good.
                          Well, other than she's extremely fast, has a very hard and accurate shot and is very adept overall in handling the puck, I guess she's okay.

On the Gopher end, I wish Scobee wouldn't feel the need to touch every single puck that goes by the side of her net, especially when there are only Gopher players around it. The Pannek line was by far the best line on the ice all day, but overall "shaky defensively" was also way too common for much of the Gophers play today.

Comment

I'm trying to remember if a team that was this shaky defensively has ever won the national championship; no luck so far.
                            True. However, I can't remember a national champion that has as much trouble scoring as Wisconsin does.* I can't remember a national champion with the array of *** losses, or as little production from its second and third lines, as Clarkson. And I can't remember a national champion that finished as far behind the competition in the rankings as Cornell.

No matter what happens next week, we're going to have a national champion that has at least one major blemish. I'm not sure why the Gophers' flaws stand out any more than the other teams'.

*We are, after all, talking about a team that, if we ignore empty net goals, scored 0, 3, 2, 1, and 2 goals against what we are stipulating is a shaky defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                              I'm not sure why the Gophers' flaws stand out any more than the other teams'.
                              Because they're the ones that I give a rip about. The Gophers have more strengths than weaknesses, for sure. And overall, I thought that they played pretty well defensively yesterday, once they truly recognized what they were up against. Going forward, I'm not sure how much time that they can afford to figure things out.

One of the strengths, IMO, is how consistent the freshmen have been this season. I'd say #6 and #16 have had the biggest delta, from how they have played at their lowest, to how they are playing now, and even that hasn't been a ton of variance as compared to how first year ups and downs can go. Both Oden and Heise have been remarkably consistent for all of the different roles that they've been asked to fill over the course of the year. It isn't as easy to continue to have a positive impact on the game when you're often surrounded by different people as they make it look.

In terms of just being a fan and watching the sport, I hope that we have more games against Princeton in the future. IMO, that is what women's hockey should be, two teams getting up and down the ice and trying to make things happen. If there were more games that looked like that, I think that the sport would have more fans.

Comment

In terms of just being a fan and watching the sport, I hope that we have more games against Princeton in the future. IMO, that is what women's hockey should be, two teams getting up and down the ice and trying to make things happen. If there were more games that looked like that, I think that the sport would have more fans.
                                (where is the nod in agreement emoji?) Very fun game to watch because of this! My guest yesterday, who has been to 10 games with me, thought this was the best she has seen largely for that reason.

Truth be told, winning the game also helped for me!

Comment

Working...
                                X