X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    Anyway, don't worry, Sophie, the rest of us still love you, and Eeyore doesn't like anyone.
    Though, I'm willing to bet that I'm the only non-Skarzynski that wears her jersey. I routinely get asked if I'm her father, so it's almost like we're family. And family is allowed to criticize.

And the officiating was Hockey East level bad all weekend. I'll disagree with you in that I think the interference on Skarzynski needs to be called; in general, I'm of the opinion that if penalties are as obvious as the ones today were, they have to be called even if they're away from the play. But there were a lot of things that weren't that should have been I'll concede that I'm biased, so I saw them in one direction, but:

1) On Friday, Schammel's stick got hacked out of her hands away from the play with no call;
    2) While the Amy Potomak tripping call today was blatant, dumb, and needed to be called, it only happened because there was no call ten seconds earlier when she got drilled at center ice;
    3) On two occasions, the Badgers committed obvious penalties while already shorthanded and play continued: Williamson was tripped behind the net in the second period, and S. Potomak got leveled along the boards in the third and was really slow to get up.

Given how bad the Gopher power play was, none of that probably made a difference,

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
      Sure, but that was also one of the most pointless penalty calls that you'lll see in the WCHA. The puck was a zone away, Marshall had a 20-ft headstart, and the contact was minimal. According to a rule book, you can call that interference, but we saw a lot more interference from our referees today. Had they been trying to do so, could they possibly have gotten in the way more times than they did? I think it was Kaehler who had about a 10 second stretch in the 3rd where he kept moving to where the puck already was. The Gophers are trying to cycle, but the ref keeps getting in the way. Zero feel for the game. None. Then there was the play in the first period where a Wisconsin shot is heading toward the far corner, and the ref kicks it back toward the slot. The puck moves a lot faster in an NHL game and the players are bigger, but for some reason, those officials have the sense to get out of the way. I'm glad that neither team scored a PP goal, because most of the penalties called on both teams were bogus nonsense that should have been let go. It looked like calls you'd see in Hockey East. Or maybe I just feel this way because the last couple Gopher PPs were so atrocious. Anyway, don't worry, Sophie, the rest of us still love you, and Eeyore doesn't like anyone.

As for line combos in the second period, it is hard to roll lines in a period that has 10 minutes of penalties. Someone is always coming off the PK or PP and so shuffling is needed.

Gopher fans, if we don't like this roster, what roster is ever going to make us happy? I blame Laura Halldorson. If she had rolled out a first roster that looked like the first varsity team for Lindenwood, then maybe we'd have some perspective a couple of decades later. All we've ever known is good, so we're beyond spoiled.
      The 2012/2013 roster wasn't too bad...
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
        Yeah, they were okay. They never should have given up 3 goals to BU, though. That was ridiculous...
        Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 01-20-2019, 02:15 PM. Reason: or 3 goals twice to the Sioux of all teams!!!
        "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

The concern for this team from the beginning of year was the defensive unit and to a lesser extent goaltending. Goaltending has been good but the decision making and pace of decisions by the defensemen have proven to be problematic. I'm not sure that is going to "get better" but we will see.
          Frost:“Defensively, I thought we played very well but didn’t generate as much as we needed to on the front end to get some second and third opportunities, and the result is only scoring one goal on the night and most nights that’s not going to get it done.”

oh for one

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
          Other than two really dumb penalties, that was the best period the Gophers have played since December..
          The Badgers dictated much of the play in the first period — which Frost called the team’s worst of the night

oh for two, lol

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
          I do, too, but the single biggest problem has been getting the puck out of their own end. The lack of scoring starts at the back end.
          Frost:“Defensively, I thought we played very well but didn’t generate as much as we needed to on the front end to get some second and third opportunities,

oh for three, LOL

the blue line has progressed nicely over the course of the season, sure, against a team like WI they are going to be rushed and make a few mistakes, just like we saw WI make mistakes Saturday. That's what partly and often mostly determines which team wins, the team that forces the other to make mistakes, and then capitalizes on them. I'd rank the Gopher blue line even with the Badgers, the results so far to date prove as much. Sure there may be differences, that's what you get with 12 different players.
          Last edited by pokechecker; 01-20-2019, 02:59 PM. Reason: sometimes even fans have a bad day

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            What a weekend for senior forward Nicole Schammel - huge congrats to her! And we have a new No. 1 scoring leader in the WCHA

Well done, Nicole!
            fixed it for you, yes indeed, IMO the most consistent well playing Gopher this year, nice to see her get some goals since piling up the helpers which sometimes get overlooked

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            And have we found a new No. 1 goaltender for down the stretch? If not yet, at the very least Miss Scobee should get her share of opportunities during the rest of the regular season, if to prove she's No. 1 in going into the league playoffs, and (hopefully for her) beyond that to Frozen Four

Well done, Scooby Doo
            If Frost would have started Gulstene for the game Saturday I would not have been surprised, nor argue, I thought she played well Friday, that was a heckuva game put in by Scooby Doo, the REAL season hasn't yet started, so IMO, keep playing both and then he'll have to decide if he wants to keep platooning or go with the one he feels can get them to the FF and beyond.
            That's why he gets the big money
            Last edited by pokechecker; 01-20-2019, 03:20 PM.

Comment

I'll have to go back and review who was on that roster; it was a long time ago.

https://board.uscho.com/showthread.p...ckey-2012-2013

Notice that Eeyore still experienced much angst. His greatest worry was depth, so one might assume that he'd be more at peace with the increased depth this year, but ...
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

a lot of angst over the calls of the refs, but hockey and inconsistent calls are like the 4th of July and fireworks, apple pie and ice cream, Donald Trump and Nancy Pelosi disagreeing ....
                the team that played the best won on both days, so despite the non-calls and inconsistency, it had no effect

but it would have been cool for the ref to call a penalty on the doofous who kept getting hit by the puck

and thinking back to the game a few years back where the puck hit an official behind the Badger net and was promptly put in by Piazza that turned the outcome in the Gophers favor, the outcome of the similar gaff was no goal, so I'm giving the doofus a pass on that

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  I'll have to go back and review who was on that roster; it was a long time ago.

https://board.uscho.com/showthread.p...ckey-2012-2013

Notice that Eeyore still experienced much angst. His greatest worry was depth, so one might assume that he'd be more at peace with the increased depth this year, but ...
                  If (Still) Eeyore didn't express angst I would start to worry...

Comment

I haven't studied pairwise calculations, but despite a split in series, shouldn't the lower ranked team benefit better from a split than the higher ranked team? I was a little puzzled that UM is still a ways from flipping UW.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyhub View Post
                      I haven't studied pairwise calculations, but despite a split in series, shouldn't the lower ranked team benefit better from a split than the higher ranked team? I was a little puzzled that UM is still a ways from flipping UW.
                      Going into the weekend (but maybe after an early afternoon game or two on Friday), Wisconsin's bonus-adjusted RPI was .6681 and Minn win .6524, a lead of .0157. After all the Saturday games, Wisconsin was .6625 and Minn .6509, a lead of .0116.
                      Last edited by robertearle; 01-20-2019, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AAA Dad View Post
                        I wonder if you think that needs to "get better"???
                        Sure, And they were able to come back and win on Saturday so that is "better".

Look, it is your prerogative to not agree with my taking issue with the decision making capabilities of the defensive corp of Minnesota but if I were an opposing coach and had speedy forwards like Wisconsin, UMD, and Ohio State have, I would definitely be going all in on attacking Minnesota's D. It's a risky proposition, but the alternate to sit back and let Minnesota's forwards come at you is not going to work.

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                          Sure, And they were able to come back and win on Saturday so that is "better".

Look, it is your prerogative to not agree with my taking issue with the decision making capabilities of the defensive corp of Minnesota but if I were an opposing coach and had speedy forwards like Wisconsin, UMD, and Ohio State have, I would definitely be going all in on attacking Minnesota's
                          D. It's a risky proposition, but the alternate to sit back and let Minnesota's forwards come at you is not going to work.
                          Brilliant strategy for Gopher demise...Please don't share with UW OSU or UMD coaches!

Comment

Brilliant strategy for Gopher demise...Please don't share with UW OSU or UMD coaches!
                            if opposing coaches look for strategy here, they have already lost

Comment

Brilliant strategy for Gopher demise...
                              With the Gophers being 22-3, about the only brilliant strategy for the beating the Gophers is having Wisconsin's roster or wearing green uniforms, although I suppose you could include the "black on back" unis as well.

Comment

one can only wonder how good the blue line will be if they stop making all those bad decisions, LOL
                                Marshall leads the league in +/- followed by Skarzynski and Brown
                                Only two Badgers are above Knowles
                                and Hengler & Ostertag are tied with the #4 Badger
                                IOW, all 6 are in the top ten

Wente, Schammel, and Zumwinkle not surprisingly are the top line in +/-
                                I believe Schammel's +/- should be 1 greater than it is, assisted on a goal earlier in the year but not given credit for being on the ice

Comment

Working...
                                X