Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4041424344454647484950

Thread: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    Two good defenses and bad ice don't make for explosiveness.
    Unless a bad hop turns into a breakaway...

It looks like an all WCHA final. I got a bad feeling about this one...Pankowski and Shaver's last chance for a trophy. They will leave it all out there. And Wisconsin's physicality works so much in their favor. Well, go Gophers and give it all you have. If the Gophers win it will be a good day !

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyhub View Post
    I got a bad feeling about this one...Pankowski and Shaver's last chance for a trophy. They will leave it all out there. And Wisconsin's physicality works so much in their favor. Well, go Gophers and give it all you have. If the Gophers win it will be a good day !
    Hard to say this but Wisconsin looked like the best team of the four today. They once again will be the best team going into the final like they were in 2017. Minnesota, surprisingly played good defense today and Alex Gulstene looked very confident in net. She should be the starter on Sunday.
    "I want to get a vending machine, with fun sized candy bars, and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late."
    "I played golf...I did not get a hole-in-one, but I did hit a guy. That's way more satisfying."
    "I would imagine that if you could understand Morse code, a tap dancer would drive you crazy."
    "I'd like to get four people who do cart wheels very good, and make a cart." Mitch Hedberg

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Hard to say this but Wisconsin looked like the best team of the four today. They once again will be the best team going into the final like they were in 2017.
    At the WCHA Final Faceoff, the Gophers looked like the best team in the semis. UM hasn't played at its highest level very often this year. That game against UMD (other than the soft goal allowed), against SLU, maybe in Columbus. If they finally play well against the Badgers, then I think that they can hang with them. Maybe Sunday will be the day that the Minnesota shots hit the inside of the pipe and go into the net, instead of the pipe and out like so far in the NCAAs. Ostertag's goal today only needed another 1/4 of an inch. Maybe Sunday. Cornell was very good defensively. Not UW good, but close. Offensively, the Big Read had that stretch near the end of the first, but I don't remember much else.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Hard to say this but Wisconsin looked like the best team of the four today.
    I agree, but I wonder how much of that is due to Clarkson being pretty much a one-line team. Might the Gophers, with their four very solid forward lines applying relentless offensive zone pressure, would have also worn Clarkson down and capitalized on the growing fatigue of their first line in the 3rd period? Even though Cornell (or anyone else!) does not have the same very top end as Clarkson, they are a more evenly balanced and skilled team (throughout their entire lineup) and therefore likely would have given Wisconsin a better game than what we saw of Clarkson, which was completely out of gas in the 3rd period tonight.

They (Wisconsin) once again will be the best team going into the final like they were in 2017. Minnesota, surprisingly played good defense today and Alex Gulstene looked very confident in net. She should be the starter on Sunday.
    After pitching a shutout this afternoon I would be shocked if she were not the starter in the National Championship game on Sunday. You could tell throughout that she was totally "locked in" and really concentrating on the puck when Cornell got it into a dangerous scoring area. Defensively, it was a total team effort, backstopped by Alex Gulstene, in holding an excellent Big Red team to no goals.

Wisconsin will pose an even more difficult challenge, but if every player rises to the occasion a win and a National Championship is definitely within reach.
    Last edited by D2D; 03-23-2019 at 01:05 AM.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

No time like the present as you stand in the line for the second place trophy to start thinking about next year.
    "I want to get a vending machine, with fun sized candy bars, and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late."
    "I played golf...I did not get a hole-in-one, but I did hit a guy. That's way more satisfying."
    "I would imagine that if you could understand Morse code, a tap dancer would drive you crazy."
    "I'd like to get four people who do cart wheels very good, and make a cart." Mitch Hedberg

No time like the present as you stand in the line for the second place trophy to start thinking about next year.
    With only 18 skaters and players coming in the following year, we're going to pick up Gebhard & Bullock for their senior seasons

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Thanks to the senior class for all that you've given us, and best of luck for wherever your lives take you from here.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Thanks to the senior class for all that you've given us, and best of luck for wherever your lives take you from here.
    👍

I think the problems today started with the coaching staff. You just can't change what you've done all year in the last game. Aside from the top lines getting more worn down, implicitly saying that Catie Skaja and Abigail Boreen aren't good enough to play in the championship sends the wrong psychological message.

Definitely. Though I'm sure having all of those walk-ons caused all sorts of problems in the locker room.

Thread Information