This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV: Did you make Barry's List?

Just binged all 12 hour long Eps of Glitch on Netflix. Was recommended by a few Aussie friends and the show is highly acclaimed down there. I really enjoyed it- seems to be done much better than the shows with a similar theme.

Comment

Bumping mics on Netflix is 5 stars if you like comics that work blue.
      Almost all of my favorite comedians roled into one series.

Comment

I'm about halfway through season three of The Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime, and holy hell this has been good. I saw some commentary that the secondary cast was over expanded in this season, but it works (so far).

Also, it's pretty amazing for a show about the dark depths fascism has that it made Hitler and Himmler likeable characters.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Anybody watching Escape at Dannemora on Showtime?

I've enjoyed it so far. Hits close to home for me since it's about 2 hours away from where I live and I have made many trips to Plattsburgh for work over the years which is the city the prison is just outside of.
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
            Anybody watching Escape at Dannemora on Showtime?

I've enjoyed it so far. Hits close to home for me since it's about 2 hours away from where I live and I have made many trips to Plattsburgh for work over the years which is the city the prison is just outside of.
            Yea, but you're protected by a moat and a tank.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              And ya see I didnt like that scene at all. It felt ridiculously forced and I honestly didnt feel anything for either character.

See my problem with the season is that El Padrino is just not that menacing. They never make him into the badass he was in real life. The Narcos version doesnt scare me, he is a whiny little weasel who doesnt have the sack to actually get his hands dirty outside of the very beginning. (and one guy he kills towards the end) Everyone else I can totally buy the characterization but you need to have the evil psychopath everyone hates or there is no reason to root for the cops to take him down. Sure the DFS are bad and we all want them to die but they almost wanted to make El Padrino into the Mexican version of Escobar and while in real life I could buy that the series just doesnt give him any real chance to be that ruthless.

I am all for the Readers Digest version of the story, but then pick stories that work better that way. The best part of these stories is how ridiculously powerful they were able to get in short time, and how long they held it and how fast it collapsed. The more you breeze through it though the less the fall is really that shocking. (which is why the Escobar story is the best...they stretch it out over 2 seasons leading into 3) Each of these stories should have at least two seasons on their own. (and it looks like Mexico will based on how it ended if not more depending what comes next)

If I was ranking the seasons out of 10:

Season 1: 9
              Season 2: 8
              Season 3: 6.5
              Season 4: 7.5

One thing I did like was how they were able to bring back certain characters as the stories intertwined with the Colombians stories. It was a treat seeing some of them again
              I finally finished the first three seasons, and will probably start Mexico this weekend.

I kind of disagree with you a little bit about your rankings of the first three seasons, and the idea that each story should be spread out over two seasons.

I thought the Season Two sucked. Of the 9-10 hours of run time, there had to have been 5 hours of shots of Escobar standing alone in his yard or in a field, smoking weed and gazing silently off into space. Another three hours was of him on the phone with his wife. It was like they had material for two hours of show but wanted to make an entire season out of it.

On the other hand, I liked Season Three. I didn't think it was quite as good as Season One, but I enjoyed it. It didn't feel to me like they were just trying to overwhelm the viewers with endless bloodbaths. My opinion might also be colored by the fact that while I liked the Pena character, I didn't care for Murphy's character.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Oh yeah I forgot about the endless Escobar scenes by himself. That did get tedious. I think Season 2 is clouded by the fact that I watched it back to back with 1 so it felt more spread out than it probably actually was. Season 3 broke new ground so it felt different even though I watched it almost right after I finished 2.

I downgrade Season 2 to a 7...it beats 3 because Escobar saying "Plata" 8 million times is still better than the weak way they presented the "Gentlemen of Cali"
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Started "Bad Blood" about the Rizzuto mafia family in Montreal. Kim Coates (SOA, Goon, other movies/tv) is in it, and the main character. Pretty solid so far, 3 eps into the 6 ep season. (Netflix Streaming)
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

In the middle of Springsteen on Broadway. Holy **** this is good, and I'm not a real big fan of Springsteen...
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      In the middle of Springsteen on Broadway. Holy **** this is good, and I'm not a real big fan of Springsteen...
                      It got even better. That was one of the best things I've watched on TV in a while. Period.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        It got even better. That was one of the best things I've watched on TV in a while. Period.
                        I've heard very good things. Prob will check it out over the long weekend.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Adam Sandler has a Netflix special.

Only mentioning because of this Chris Farley tribute.
                          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

That was amazing.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              That was amazing.
                              Yeah, every now and then Sandler can pull off something like that.
                              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Um......

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/422764-kevin-spacey-to-be-arraigned-on-charge-of-sexual-assault?fbclid=IwAR2lktrXJb8gqwNfLZUKytpLL4XLKIsvs ooArBdj1UymiIQI256l_ExQz_U
                                Last edited by Deutsche Gopher Fan; 12-24-2018, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X