Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647 LastLast
Results 901 to 920 of 935

Thread: TV: Did you make Barry's List?

  1. #901
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    32,800

    Re: TV: Did you make Barry's List?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Same. Maybe I’ll post my review in the religion thread
    I'll get popcorn.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  2. #902
    Arthur Morgan's Buddy
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    39,029

    Re: TV: Did you make Barry's List?

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    So, no one shoot me for this suggestion, but I watched The Last Hangover on Netflix last evening. I really enjoyed it. My wife, not so much, but I'm not sure she has a sense of humor.

    It's only about 45 minutes long. It's subtitled, and the subtitles are fast because the dialogue is fast, so you have to be ready.

    It's a spoof of The Hangover, set in the context of The Last Supper. The apostles wake up the morning after partying at the Last Supper and Jesus is missing. You need to have a pretty good working knowledge of both The Hangover and the Gospel account of Jesus Last Supper with the apostles. But if you have even a decent working knowledge, there are a lot of pretty good jokes.

    But, it's not going to be for everyone, so be forewarned.

    https://www.dearcastandcrew.com/conte...-hangover.html
    5mn Major will have a heart attack
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  3. #903
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    189

    Re: TV: Did you make Barry's List?

    So my daughter has made me watch The Masked Singer for the second week in a row. Anyone else watching this steaming pant load of ****? I thought this was the golden era of television.

  4. #904
    rock and roller
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory
    Posts
    21,650

    Re: TV: Did you make Barry's List?

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Krug#1 View Post
    So my daughter has made me watch The Masked Singer for the second week in a row. Anyone else watching this steaming pant load of ****? I thought this was the golden era of television.
    it is. Just not network tv.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

  5. #905
    rock and roller
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory
    Posts
    21,650

    Re: TV: Did you make Barry's List?

    And speaking of golden age, funniest line on tv all year long. Comes near the end of this clip, from Black Frankie, so wait for it. NSFW.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3iiwO3gYtI
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

  6. #906
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    115,970

    Re: TV: Did you make Barry's List?

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    So, no one shoot me for this suggestion, but I watched The Last Hangover on Netflix last evening. I really enjoyed it. My wife, not so much, but I'm not sure she has a sense of humor.

    It's only about 45 minutes long. It's subtitled, and the subtitles are fast because the dialogue is fast, so you have to be ready.

    It's a spoof of The Hangover, set in the context of The Last Supper. The apostles wake up the morning after partying at the Last Supper and Jesus is missing. You need to have a pretty good working knowledge of both The Hangover and the Gospel account of Jesus Last Supper with the apostles. But if you have even a decent working knowledge, there are a lot of pretty good jokes.

    But, it's not going to be for everyone, so be forewarned.

    https://www.dearcastandcrew.com/conte...-hangover.html
    This keeps popping up on my recommended list. Might check it out.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  7. #907

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,697

    Re: TV: Did you make Barry's List?

    Does Bird Box count as TV or Movie?

    In any case, saw it last night with Dr. Mrs. Excellent. Solid A. Spoilers:

    The ending was terrible. And her "apotheosis" to a mother betrayed her entire character. The whole point of her character is her inability to feel; it's what makes her interesting. Turning her into just another dullard human at the end was a lazy sop to the dummies, albeit it will win awards.

    The best way to describe the movie would be A Quiet Place with good actors. Bullock is ideal as sharp and cold -- she even looks perfect. And her acting, if you cut the braying drill sergeancy with the kids which is merely scene-setting, is excellent. Less is more and boy she can do less.

    I loved that the whole aesthetic of the film is cold, aloneness, and hypersensitiveness to sensory input. It's the closest I have seen any film get to how an INTJ experiences the world and you people.

    In sum, a great movie if you cut out the final reel, which sums up a large number of films and nearly every good movie made since 9/11.
    Last edited by Kepler; 01-11-2019 at 09:42 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  8. #908
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    3,563

    Re: TV: Did you make Barry's List?

    I saw bird box. It wasn’t “zomg terrible” like a lot of people said. I thought it was ok

  9. #909

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,697

    Re: TV: Did you make Barry's List?

    What kind of a moron would think it was terrible? A 17 year old boy?
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  10. #910
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    115,970

    Re: TV: Did you make Barry's List?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    What kind of a moron would think it was terrible? A 17 year old boy?
    I think a lot of people heard the hype and had unrealistic expectations. I thought it was very good, myself.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  11. #911
    Arthur Morgan's Buddy
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    39,029

    Re: TV: Did you make Barry's List?

    If it was anything like A Quiet Place it was vastly overrated...
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  12. #912
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    115,970

    Re: TV: Did you make Barry's List?

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    If it was anything like A Quiet Place it was vastly overrated...
    I really liked A Quiet Place.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  13. #913
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,669

    Re: TV: Did you make Barry's List?

    I did too. I found it unnerving which isn’t very common for me and movies.

  14. #914
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    115,970

    Re: TV: Did you make Barry's List?

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I did too. I found it unnerving which isn’t very common for me and movies.
    That's a good description of it: unnerving. I prefer those types of horror movies. Put me on edge. Don't try and just gross me out with slashing everything.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  15. #915
    Arthur Morgan's Buddy
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    39,029

    Re: TV: Did you make Barry's List?

    Eh I got past that halfway through the movie. The story was lame and the ending was legit one of the worst I have seen in a long time. It wasnt a 'bad" film but it wasnt particularly great either.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  16. #916
    NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Posts
    19,041

    Re: TV: Did you make Barry's List?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    That's a good description of it: unnerving. I prefer those types of horror movies. Put me on edge. Don't try and just gross me out with slashing everything.
    Same here. Did a very good job with the tenseness.
    Last edited by French Rage; 01-12-2019 at 12:52 PM.

    Cornell '04, Stanford '06


    KDR

    Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

  17. #917
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    3,563
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    I really liked A Quiet Place.
    I liked it more than bird box

  18. #918
    He fixes the cable?
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    22,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Eh I got past that halfway through the movie. The story was lame and the ending was legit one of the worst I have seen in a long time. It wasnt a 'bad" film but it wasnt particularly great either.
    Thisis how I felt about it. Meh. Not bad, not great.

    I might have been in the wrong mood. I was picking the thing apart as I was watching. "Oh, so it gets you through a camera feed but not through the holes in a blanket?"

  19. #919

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,697

    Re: TV: Did you make Barry's List?

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    If it was anything like A Quiet Place it was vastly overrated...
    A Quiet Place was a good concept destroyed by two of the worst actors this side of Dump's mistresses. The writer supposedly traded having his story dragged through sewage by the morons in exchange for full creative control on his next film, so I have hopes there.

    Both AQP and BB used negative sensory input to good effect. They are definitely both art house movies -- comic book movie guy isn't going to like them because no splosions or sophomoric male machismo. I'm sure it didn't help bring in the pea brains for both movies to be built around strong female lead characters. (BB in particular must make Dumpies very nervous.)
    Last edited by Kepler; 01-12-2019 at 04:15 PM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  20. #920
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    115,970

    Re: TV: Did you make Barry's List?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    A Quiet Place was a good concept destroyed by two of the worst actors this side of Dump's mistresses. The writer supposedly traded having his story dragged through sewage by the morons in exchange for full creative control on his next film, so I have hopes there.

    Both AQP and BB used negative sensory input to good effect. They are definitely both art house movies -- comic book movie guy isn't going to like them because no splosions or sophomoric male machismo. I'm sure it didn't help bring in the pea brains for both movies to be built around strong female lead characters. (BB in particular must make Dumpies very nervous.)
    Renee Z and Kevin Costner weren't in it....
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •