Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten Out of Conference is a joke

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    There are like four non-UMD fans from Minnesota that will be cheering for Duluth.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Most of the people I know are rooting for Ohio State. Then Notre Dame. Then injuries.
      This.
      "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Most of the people I know are rooting for Ohio State. Then Notre Dame. Then injuries.
        That's funny!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
          That's funny!
          I'm conflicted. On the one hand I want a B1G team to win, but on the other I like UMD because they're a Minnesota team with the most guys from our state on their team. Then on the other hand I wouldn't mind seeing Notre Dame win it only because my brother played for them way back when. Which all leaves me , and will just sit back and watch some great hockey.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

It all comes down to where your true loyalties lie.

I've been a fan of ALL the Minnesota based hockey teams my whole adult life, but it was easier way back, Bemidji was Div 3 at that time, so they didn't directly compete with the Gophers who've been my #1 since birth. SCSU and Mankato were also in Div 2 and/or 3. The only other Div 1 team was UMD, and they weren't very good, cept for a short time when they had Brett Hull on their team, and I attended UMD for a short time in the 80s, and now my only neice and nephew both went there, so I have a small attachment to them despite their being in direct competition with the Gophers.

But slowly all of these teams rose up and ended up in Div 1, and then in the same Conf as Minnesota, so in direct competition. And even worse, now they're all in opposing conferences.

So I have to start to question whether my cheering for and supporting all Minnesota based hockey teams, basically the U's little brothers, is needed anymore? Early on it was sort of fine because it was good for Minnesota hockey, but Minnesota hockey hardly needs to grow anymore, and I'm not sure it can grow much more, and now other states are slowly catching up to Minnesota.

And all of the U's little brothers seem to be doing fine on their own now, UMD with a Title under it's belt and now another FF trip, SCSU was the #1 ranked team going into the tourney, Mankato was #6, BSU even has a FF to their credit, so they have all grown up and moved out of the house and are competing directly with the U for recruits and entry into the NCAA tourney, etc..

Thing is, time for all the Minnesota nice bs to be put aside. B1G fans have had to put up with all the noise from the NCHC crowd about how pathetic the B1G is, now the B1G has a chance to knock out the NCHC's last remaining team giving them a paltry 3-3 NCAA record for the year and guaranteeing the B1G a 9-3 NCAA record on the year and people are talking about cheering for UMD???

Screw that, I'll be cheering against UMD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              Accurate

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                I disagree. UMD vs another big ten team in a title game, most Minnesotans will root for the Dogs
                Correct. I will cheer for a Minnesota based school before UND, Michigan, or Wisconsin. etc.
                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                  Correct. I will cheer for a Minnesota based school before UND, Michigan, or Wisconsin. etc.
                  4four4, hey, I thought the same for most of my life. But what good does it do UMn when UMD, SCSU, MSU-M, or BSU beat BTHC teams?

So few people liked UMn moving to the BTHC, but now we are stuck with it, FOREVER. And UMD & SCSU especially are in a pretty legit conference, so any success they have can and probably will hurt us down the line.

I mean, I know where your feeling comes from. Felt that way for a long time, might still cheer for Minnesota based schools when they are NOT playing the Gophers or BTHC teams, but I might not anymore? I mean, the more I think about it, the more it seems Anti-Gopher.

So the average Minnesotan who is not a die hard Gopher fan, yes, I can definitely see them cheering for UMD. But Gopher fans? Harder to see it. Do you honestly think a UMD fan would cheer for the Gophers to beat UND or Denver?

Comment

I rooted for BSU when they went to the FF and would do it again since they still haven't won it all.

I was happy for UMD and their fans the first time they won it all, but now I'd like to see a BT team win it this year.

I would love to see MSUM win a title. And as for SCSU I would not hate to see them win one if they didn't go through the Gophers to get there. I think it's good for the sport and for our state. I wouldn't openly root for them, but I had friends play hockey there in the early days of Div I, they imho for the most part of ran a clean program and play a fun brand of hockey, and despite many of their fans I don't wish ill will on them.

For some context - i went to Minnetonka and if you know anything about our hockey history you know there's been some Viking's like heartache through the years while having to watch our #1 rival win title after title. This year when they finally won it all I had several friends that are from Edina and EP say they were actually cheering the Skippers this year despite the rivalry. Not completely analogous but I think it adds some perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      I rooted for BSU when they went to the FF and would do it again since they still haven't won it all.

I was happy for UMD and their fans the first time they won it all, but now I'd like to see a BT team win it this year.

I would love to see MSUM win a title. And as for SCSU I would not hate to see them win one if they didn't go through the Gophers to get there. I think it's good for the sport and for our state. I wouldn't openly root for them, but I had friends play hockey there in the early days of Div I, they imho for the most part of ran a clean program and play a fun brand of hockey, and despite many of their fans I don't wish ill will on them.

For some context - i went to Minnetonka and if you know anything about our hockey history you know there's been some Viking's like heartache through the years while having to watch our #1 rival win title after title. This year when they finally won it all I had several friends that are from Edina and EP say they were actually cheering the Skippers this year despite the rivalry. Not completely analogous but I think it adds some perspective.
                      Well, I may still cheer for BSU and MSUM when not playing the Gophers, until they win a Title, but UMD's got one now, could get another, been to back to back FFs, they don't need my support anymore. I mean I was VERY happy when they won their first title. But maybe its partly because they are in the NCHC now, but I just can't find it in me to cheer for them anymore, and if up against a B1G team, I'll absolutely cheer against them.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        And as for SCSU I would not hate to see them win one if they didn't go through the Gophers to get there.
                        Assuming the Huskies are on the Gopher's calendar next season in another "home and home" series I would think the atmosphere at both of the games will be tremendous.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I rooted for tUMD in 2011. Then they won it. I was happy. Then they turned into pompous arses with serious attitudes. Full on arrogance and snobbery. Guys, you won ONCE. Just stop. They didn't. So, no more from me.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I'm sticking with rooting for not Michigan. Then it may be a toss up. Not OSU, Not ND, Not UMD, or maybe actually wanting one of those teams to win.

ND or OSU is a tough one for me to decide, then compare that to UMD. Sigh...

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                              I'm sticking with rooting for not Michigan. Then it may be a toss up. Not OSU, Not ND, Not UMD, or maybe actually wanting one of those teams to win.

ND or OSU is a tough one for me to decide, then compare that to UMD. Sigh...
                              Picked UMD in my bracket challenge. Go Bulldogs.
                              Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by brenthoven View Post
                                i rooted for tumd in 2011. Then they won it. I was happy. Then they turned into pompous arses with serious attitudes. Full on arrogance and snobbery. Guys, you won once. Just stop. They didn't. So, no more from me.
                                they learned it by watching you, dad!

Comment

Working...
                                X