Shannon Miller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shannon Miller

Miller to Inferno is an interesting hire. Definitely piques my interest in that league. Whatever you think of Miller, her net contribution to the sport is that she moves the sport forward, and that is an understatement.

It will be interesting to see if she succeeds at coaching in the league and if she will play a role in helping the league take another step forward in some way.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
      if she will play a role in helping the league take another step forward in some way.
      If Shannon Miller can make it about Shannon Miller being the reason that the league takes a step forward, then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQGvxA8xFQo
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
        Miller to Inferno is an interesting hire. Definitely piques my interest in that league. Whatever you think of Miller, her net contribution to the sport is that she moves the sport forward, and that is an understatement.

It will be interesting to see if she succeeds at coaching in the league and if she will play a role in helping the league take another step forward in some way.
        I'm just excited to see the infamous black sequined jacket come out of retirement!

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          @TheCWHL: .@InfernoCWHL�� welcome Shannon Miller as the team's new head coach for the upcoming 2018-19 season! Read more ➡️ http://www.thecwhl.com/shannon-mille...rno-head-coach #WeAreTheGame https://***********/TheCWHL/status/1...249408/photo/1
          Every Ref in the league went out & bought ear plugs! What a great name for a team for her to coach! LOL

Comment

If not the final chapter in this lawsuit, it's at least getting near the back of the book:
            https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/ne...llion-from-UMD
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Tool Shed View Post
              Every Ref in the league went out & bought ear plugs! What a great name for a team for her to coach! LOL
              Except maybe Robert Ludwig, if he was in that league. He seemed to enjoy chatting with her at UMD's bench, at least at Ridder anyway. Then again, maybe he was just afraid not to go over.

Lughead actually blew his whistle a couple of times this past weekend. There were seasons when I thought it might be broken.
              Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 10-01-2019, 03:03 PM. Reason: Referees can change?
              "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                Lughead actually blew his whistle a couple of times this past weekend. There were seasons when I thought it might be broken.
                I'm sure it was just a random thing, he has never demonstrated any knowledge of the game.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  If not the final chapter in this lawsuit, it's at least getting near the back of the book:
                  https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/ne...llion-from-UMD
                  that works out to less than a dollar a person, I consider that a bargain, I'd have donated at least 50 bucks to get rid of her, although I'm a little disappointed they didn't include a clause not to return to MN

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    I'm sure it was just a random thing, he has never demonstrated any knowledge of the game.
                    Very true.

Well, there was that one time in Duluth on March 18, 2012 at 18:28 of the 1st period and even though it did take him awhile to remember where to put his hands, he did show a rudimentary knowledge of the game. Just in case you've forgotten.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penalty_shot_(ice_hockey)
                    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 10-03-2019, 12:39 AM. Reason: I wouldn't have mentioned it if the Gophers had won their last game last season.
                    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                      Very true.

Well, there was that one time in Duluth on March 18, 2012 at 18:28 of the 1st period and even though it did take him awhile to remember where to put his hands, he did show a rudimentary knowledge of the game. Just in case you've forgotten.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penalty_shot_(ice_hockey)
                      Blind squirrel theory.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                        that works out to less than a dollar a person, I consider that a bargain, I'd have donated at least 50 bucks to get rid of her, although I'm a little disappointed they didn't include a clause not to return to MN
                        My question with this whole thing: she didn't finish higher than fourth her last four years with no NCAA appearances. Under what grounds were they allowed to not give her a new contract? Also, isn't it a great country where the lawyers get paid more than the defendant does?
                        Steve
                        Penn State Class of '95
                        Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                          My question with this whole thing: she didn't finish higher than fourth her last four years with no NCAA appearances. Under what grounds were they allowed to not give her a new contract?
                          As has been explained over and over, if UMD had clearly made a lack of effectiveness the reason for not renewing her contract, they would have been fine. Their problem stems from having left a long trail of evidence that this was not the only consideration, and a last minute insistence that the real issue was that she made too much money (without having ever offered her a contract at a lower rate) did nothing to obscure that trail.

Comment

Imagine had she been a head coach at a school like UND that did not have a large enrollment to spread the cost over. She could have single handedly been to blame for ending the program. Still shocked at how their (UND) program went down, but had this been somewhere not in the Minnesota University system, this lawsuit would have destroyed opportunities for upcoming players. Not a good way to progress the sport.
                            Sports is a business, not a charity.
                            I know this comment is not too helpful, but just glad to have this in the rear-view mirror.

Also, I noticed somebody posted here that Miller went to coach the Calgary Inferno of the CWHL. Isn't that the league that folded? Sounds like they at least went out with a championship, but it doesn't look like Miller was even the coach there at the time so maybe it was a short stint?
                            I wanna go fast!

Comment

University of Minnesota Duluth, former women's hockey coach settle for $4.5 million

“It’s a good feeling to have this put to rest,” Miller said...
                              Good feeling for her attorneys also, as they're getting more than half!

http://www.startribune.com/umd-forme...ent/566349412/
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
                                Imagine had she been a head coach at a school like UND that did not have a large enrollment to spread the cost over. She could have single handedly been to blame for ending the program. Still shocked at how their (UND) program went down, but had this been somewhere not in the Minnesota University system, this lawsuit would have destroyed opportunities for upcoming players. Not a good way to progress the sport.
                                Sports is a business, not a charity.
                                I know this comment is not too helpful, but just glad to have this in the rear-view mirror.

Also, I noticed somebody posted here that Miller went to coach the Calgary Inferno of the CWHL. Isn't that the league that folded? Sounds like they at least went out with a championship, but it doesn't look like Miller was even the coach there at the time so maybe it was a short stint?
                                Miller stepped down in early December in the 18-19 season, so she wasn't the coach at the time the league folded. Ryan Hilderman and Mandi Duhamel co-coached the Inferno the rest of the season to the final Clarkson Cup. Though it was only Hilderman who got a Coach of the Year nod so maybe he was doing most of the coaching after the departure.
                                Last edited by Scott_TG; 12-26-2019, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X