Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Shannon Miller

Re: Shannon Miller

Miller to Inferno is an interesting hire. Definitely piques my interest in that league. Whatever you think of Miller, her net contribution to the sport is that she moves the sport forward, and that is an understatement.

It will be interesting to see if she succeeds at coaching in the league and if she will play a role in helping the league take another step forward in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    if she will play a role in helping the league take another step forward in some way.
    If Shannon Miller can make it about Shannon Miller being the reason that the league takes a step forward, then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQGvxA8xFQo

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    Miller to Inferno is an interesting hire. Definitely piques my interest in that league. Whatever you think of Miller, her net contribution to the sport is that she moves the sport forward, and that is an understatement.

It will be interesting to see if she succeeds at coaching in the league and if she will play a role in helping the league take another step forward in some way.
    I'm just excited to see the infamous black sequined jacket come out of retirement!

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    @TheCWHL: .@InfernoCWHL�� welcome Shannon Miller as the team's new head coach for the upcoming 2018-19 season! Read more ➡️ https://www.thecwhl.com/shannon-mille...rno-head-coach #WeAreTheGame https://twitter.com/TheCWHL/status/1...249408/photo/1
    Every Ref in the league went out & bought ear plugs! What a great name for a team for her to coach! LOL

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

If not the final chapter in this lawsuit, it's at least getting near the back of the book:
    https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/ne...llion-from-UMD
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Tool Shed View Post
    Every Ref in the league went out & bought ear plugs! What a great name for a team for her to coach! LOL
    Except maybe Robert Ludwig, if he was in that league. He seemed to enjoy chatting with her at UMD's bench, at least at Ridder anyway. Then again, maybe he was just afraid not to go over.

Lughead actually blew his whistle a couple of times this past weekend. There were seasons when I thought it might be broken.
    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 10-01-2019 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Referees can change?
    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
    Lughead actually blew his whistle a couple of times this past weekend. There were seasons when I thought it might be broken.
    I'm sure it was just a random thing, he has never demonstrated any knowledge of the game.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    If not the final chapter in this lawsuit, it's at least getting near the back of the book:
    https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/ne...llion-from-UMD
    that works out to less than a dollar a person, I consider that a bargain, I'd have donated at least 50 bucks to get rid of her, although I'm a little disappointed they didn't include a clause not to return to MN

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    I'm sure it was just a random thing, he has never demonstrated any knowledge of the game.
    Very true.

Well, there was that one time in Duluth on March 18, 2012 at 18:28 of the 1st period and even though it did take him awhile to remember where to put his hands, he did show a rudimentary knowledge of the game. Just in case you've forgotten.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penalty_shot_(ice_hockey)
    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 10-03-2019 at 01:39 AM. Reason: I wouldn't have mentioned it if the Gophers had won their last game last season.
    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
    Very true.

Well, there was that one time in Duluth on March 18, 2012 at 18:28 of the 1st period and even though it did take him awhile to remember where to put his hands, he did show a rudimentary knowledge of the game. Just in case you've forgotten.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penalty_shot_(ice_hockey)
    Blind squirrel theory.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Do You Believe in Miracles? YES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    that works out to less than a dollar a person, I consider that a bargain, I'd have donated at least 50 bucks to get rid of her, although I'm a little disappointed they didn't include a clause not to return to MN
    My question with this whole thing: she didn't finish higher than fourth her last four years with no NCAA appearances. Under what grounds were they allowed to not give her a new contract? Also, isn't it a great country where the lawyers get paid more than the defendant does?
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95
    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Quote Originally Posted by spwood View Post
    My question with this whole thing: she didn't finish higher than fourth her last four years with no NCAA appearances. Under what grounds were they allowed to not give her a new contract?
    As has been explained over and over, if UMD had clearly made a lack of effectiveness the reason for not renewing her contract, they would have been fine. Their problem stems from having left a long trail of evidence that this was not the only consideration, and a last minute insistence that the real issue was that she made too much money (without having ever offered her a contract at a lower rate) did nothing to obscure that trail.

I got the juice

Imagine had she been a head coach at a school like UND that did not have a large enrollment to spread the cost over. She could have single handedly been to blame for ending the program. Still shocked at how their (UND) program went down, but had this been somewhere not in the Minnesota University system, this lawsuit would have destroyed opportunities for upcoming players. Not a good way to progress the sport.
    Sports is a business, not a charity.
    I know this comment is not too helpful, but just glad to have this in the rear-view mirror.

Also, I noticed somebody posted here that Miller went to coach the Calgary Inferno of the CWHL. Isn't that the league that folded? Sounds like they at least went out with a championship, but it doesn't look like Miller was even the coach there at the time so maybe it was a short stint?
    I wanna go fast!

Thread Information