Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    Why are we assuming Guite can coach a bench? Reminds me of those wanting Corkum to take over for Whitehead. Where is Bob these days?

If and when Red goes I say clean house and see what shakes loose. If Bens the best of the bunch fine but no going in thinking that please
    Yes, I agree. Nothing against Guite, but there is no way I want the job handed to him.

Comment

Originally posted by fishman'81 View Post
      i don't pretend to have clue one as to the ncaa's terms, but if they were to consider the spill-over effect on the local economy -and i'd guess that that wouldn't be a factor since college hockey is still a red-headed stepchild of that grimy business- both portland and the ncaa would actually benefit via such an event. (imagine!)

still, the visiting fans would stay locally, dine well, and chug some black fly stout at gritty's... A win/win for everyone involved.

(and let somebody else "host".)

edit: This site just censored the nc "dollar-signs" suffix. Wow. Trickle-down dictatorship has arrived. Seen a bit of it on the d-3 boards, too. It's disturbing. Apparently, there's an ncaa mole on this site whose job is to keep us all in line.
      nc$$

Comment

Just for kicks heres your Garden appearances since Maine missed in 2007 thanks to Jon Quick (out of a possible 12)

BC—- 10
        BU —- 9
        Lowell — 6
        Prov — 5
        UNH — 5
        NU — 4
        Vermont — 3
        ND — 2
        Maine — 2
        UMass — 1
        Mack — 1

Active coaches with 0 Garden appearances, Red, Carvel, Cav. With more than 1 year on the job, well, just one

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
          nc$$
          Honest to God, it didn't work for me. (Russian trolls..? )

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
            Portland would be a fine place for a regional, if it weren't for the terms the NCAA imposes on the host. There's a reason no one out west wants to host. It will cost the school money - which incidentally comes from us taxpayers - that it doesn't have.
            Do you happen to know whether or not the host school ever turns a profit on a Regional, at least in the Northeast?

Comment

If it is a money loser, why do schools keep coming back to host a regional?
              bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
              SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
              All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
              A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Ticapnews-

Did you delete or move your analysis post? I'm glad I saved it, good information.

Comment

I'm assuming the two eastern regionals can draw a profit, at least some years. Otherwise there's not much reason for teams that can't reasonably make it (Holy Cross, Brown) to keep bidding.

Comment

How did Maine do when they Hosted the ICE-BREAKER a few years back in Portland (Maine, LSSU, Mich.State, N.Dakota) Didn't Maine have to pony up the money for all 3 teams to be there.?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                      Do you happen to know whether or not the host school ever turns a profit on a Regional, at least in the Northeast?
                      I have asked on other threads but don't know. I think Fairfield has a deal with the NCAA which is why they keep hosting even though they don't have a team. The best comparison would be UNH but I don't know if they make any money in Manchester.

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                      UMass decided not to host again. Even BU decided to stop hosting. Out west no one except North Dakota wants to host. Yale has more money than God so can do whatever it wants. I would love to know what incentive UNH has to keep hosting at Manchester. If hosting a regional was a money maker then the NCAA would get more bids. Portland will probably win because of lack of competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                        Ticapnews-

Did you delete or move your analysis post? I'm glad I saved it, good information.
                        It should still be in the old thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                          How did Maine do when they Hosted the ICE-BREAKER a few years back in Portland (Maine, LSSU, Mich.State, N.Dakota) Didn't Maine have to pony up the money for all 3 teams to be there.?
                          I didn’t think attendance was very good, but not sure how much money they made/lost.
                          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                            I'm assuming the two eastern regionals can draw a profit, at least some years. Otherwise there's not much reason for teams that can't reasonably make it (Holy Cross, Brown) to keep bidding.
                            Who knows why schools in the Ivy League do anything If the stars align you might make a profit. If it was more profitable, one would have to assume you'd see Providence host in Providence, since they've become a consistent tournament team. They could reap the profits AND assure themselves of "home" ice in the regional.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                              Ticapnews-

Thanks. Got it.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                                That's what I was wondering... But, if it was anything like a guaranteed money-maker for the host school, then I'd guess everyone would bid.
                                Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-16-2018, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X