Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    However, I see BlackI throws around the same "if you don't agree with me" lines that a few BU fans throw around.
    C'mon, it is the off-season and we have to pass the time scraping over something.

So why were you in the the BU thread lavishing praise on the Terriers the past week or two? It seems an odd thing to do when BU is your worst enemy. :
    It must have been a momentary lack of good judgement.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
      Also, his brothers Steve and Martin were very great Maine players.
      Very talented indeed. I loved them in Planes, Trains and Automobiles too!

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
        Very talented indeed. I loved them in Planes, Trains and Automobiles too!
        Those aren't pillows!

Comment

I don't recognize the forfeits. The NCAA can kiss my asphalt. They don't care about ineligible players at Georgia and North Carolina so I don't have to either. I have warned people in the athletics department that one day I am going to replace the team picture at the entrance to Alfond with our true record on the ice. And no one from the NCAA will ever notice.

According to the game-by-game Maine archives the all-time record against BU is 54-60-14 and 47-64-9 against BC. However, I see in the "Record vs Opponent" section, the numbers are different. It looks like whoever proof read the media guide missed that.

Comment

Thanks for the comments on Coach Gendron's first season, as well as on Coach Whitehead and some of the players. For the most part very civil.

However, I see BlackI throws around the same "if you don't agree with me" lines that a few BU fans throw around.

So why were you in the the BU thread lavishing praise on the Terriers the past week or two? It seems an odd thing to do when BU is your worst enemy.

BU has 65 wins vs Maine (65-52-13), although 3 of the BU wins were by forfeit (62-54-14 on ice) and only 1 BC win was by forfeit (70-46-9; 69-47-9 on ice according to Maine. BC has 69-46-9, a one game difference, and does not appear to have accepted the forfeit loss). That said I can see why BlackI thinks BU is Maine's worst enemy, as both teams were great through most of the nineties and BU handed Maine its only defeat in 1992-93. However, in looking at postseason play it does appear BC is truly Maine's worst enemy.
            HEA Quartefinals
            Maine vs BC, one series, 2-0
            Maine vs BU, 3 series, 1-6
            HEA Semifinals
            Maine vs BC, 1-3
            Maine vs BU, 6-0
            HEA Championships
            Maine vs BC, 2-5
            Maine vs BU, 1-1
            NCAA Quarterfinals
            Maine vs BC, 0-1
            Maine vs BU, 1-0
            NCAA Semifinals
            Maine vs BC, 2-0
            All Postseason
            Maine vs BC, 7-9
            Maine vs BU, 9-7

So Maine has done much better against BU, especially in the Hockey East semifinals, While BC has pretty much owned Maine in Hockey East semis and championship.

Sean

P.S. Corrections are appreciated, as I have already found two errors I made and corrected. That's what happens when I don't have the games in a database.
            Sean, it's easy to hate BU and Parker, not so with Len Ceglarski and York

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

One bad goal given up by Romeo, one breakaway goal up given by Romeo, 2 zip umd

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                One bad goal given up by Romeo, one breakaway goal up given by Romeo, 2 zip umd

Not a bad game by Romeo though, just 2 goals against. Their forwards couldnt get it done.

Duluth looked alot improved since they were here.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                  Actually that would be Boston College. The Eagles have 67 wins against Maine, the Terriers 60. In fact, despite two separate 13 game winless streaks against BU the Black Bears are only six wins behind.
                  But Jack Parker dropped the dime on Walsh &UNO.
                  Originally posted by mookie1995
                  bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                  Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                  Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                    I know... I am trying to have amnesia... sat through Giontas 5 goals in 15 minutes or whatever it was. Got stats on that?

Anyone close to Kariya was Gionta in my opinion... since then nobody. But as good as Gionta was he was never PK.
                    True, but Gionta went in the corners.
                    Originally posted by mookie1995
                    bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                    Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                    Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                      I don't recognize the forfeits. The NCAA can kiss my asphalt. They don't care about ineligible players at Georgia and North Carolina so I don't have to either. I have warned people in the athletics department that one day I am going to replace the team picture at the entrance to Alfond with our true record on the ice. And no one from the NCAA will ever notice.

According to the game-by-game Maine archives the all-time record against BU is 54-60-14 and 47-64-9 against BC. However, I see in the "Record vs Opponent" section, the numbers are different. It looks like whoever proof read the media guide missed that.
                      I would hope that you would not want ineligible players on Maine's team, or any team for that matter, regardless of what the the NCAA does or doesn't do. As for forfeits, I think that in season forfeits, like Maine's in 1993-94 and BU's in 1972-73, should be counted as they affect where the team finishes in the league standings. However, I think retroactive forfeits, like Maine's in 1991-92, are pretty much useless (just ask New Hampshire).

Regrading the BU-Maine series, you mention Maine having different numbers for BC in different places; they also have different numbers for BU in different places as well. I have researched BU's game-by-game history in detail and I stand by the records I posted (65-52-13; 62-54-14 on ice).

Sean
                      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                      BU Hockey highlights and extras
                      NCAA Hockey Financials
                      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                        I would hope that you would not want ineligible players on Maine's team, or any team for that matter, regardless of what the the NCAA does or doesn't do. As for forfeits, I think that in season forfeits, like Maine's in 1993-94 and BU's in 1972-73, should be counted as they affect where the team finishes in the league standings. However, I think retroactive forfeits, like Maine's in 1991-92, are pretty much useless (just ask New Hampshire).

Regrading the BU-Maine series, you mention Maine having different numbers for BC in different places; they also have different numbers for BU in different places as well. I have researched BU's game-by-game history in detail and I stand by the records I posted (65-52-13; 62-54-14 on ice).

Sean
                        In my freshman year our ineligible player was Cal Ingraham. My understanding was that the NCAA allowed him to play when he transferred from Air Force on the condition that he surrender his senior season (93-94). This is corroborated by a post from Robert Whitaker on the old College Hockey Discussion List:

However, it looks like Walsh may have his work cut out for the team to repeat as NC$$ champions. With some time to kill in the media workroom at the Bradley Center the other day, here's what Sean Grande (BU color analyst) and myself came up with for next year's preseason Maine roster:

Paul Kariya: Canadian Olympic team.
                        Jim Montgomery: graduates.
                        Cal Ingraham: owes NC$$ his senior year as a red shirt after transfer from USAFA

Eric Fenton: graduates.
                        Peter Ferraro: goes pro.
                        Chris Ferraro: goes pro.
                        Martin Mercier: graduates.
                        Dave LaCouture: graduates.
                        Kent Salfi: graduates.
                        Chris Imes: goes pro.

Garth Snow: graduates.
                        Mike Dunham: goes pro.
                        It was after the investigation the NCAA decided to go back and punish us for using an "ineligible" player.

It isn't like anyone from UMaine illegally signed memorabilia for a booster, or committed academic fraud for two decades or raped little boys in the shower. So yeah, I'm giving us a pass.

Incidentally, when BU admitted a few years ago ago that they might have broken NCAA rules, do you want to guess how many NCAA investigators descended on Commonwealth Avenue?

Comment

It looks like the Duluth series will be the 19&20 of October. Is anyone else planning to make the trip? If there is sufficient interest I can contact some local hotels and see about getting a group rate.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                            True, but Gionta went in the corners.
                            Kariya passes were such he didn't have to go into the corners.

Comment

Maine will play Yale in Portland. Date not announced. It won't be Thanksgiving week because the Bulldogs are in Ireland. Probably over winter break.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                                In my freshman year our ineligible player was Cal Ingraham. My understanding was that the NCAA allowed him to play when he transferred from Air Force on the condition that he surrender his senior season (93-94). This is corroborated by a post from Robert Whitaker on the old College Hockey Discussion List:

It was after the investigation the NCAA decided to go back and punish us for using an "ineligible" player.

It isn't like anyone from UMaine illegally signed memorabilia for a booster, or committed academic fraud for two decades or raped little boys in the shower. So yeah, I'm giving us a pass.

Incidentally, when BU admitted a few years ago ago that they might have broken NCAA rules, do you want to guess how many NCAA investigators descended on Commonwealth Avenue?
                                What happen tarnished the Maine Hockey Program forever in many people's eyes...mostly the outside crowd...Maine paid the penalty's and Walsh took the brunt of it all. Sadly you go to places that rooted hard for Maine, but no more....best to move on, and when hooted or booted by the NEVER DO WRONG schools/universitys/fans...just laugh and move on....Hardware stays...and never will they see a team like the 92-93, never....Maine Hockey will live on and whatever may be said...well like I said before...MOVE ON and tough _ _ _ _ to them nay sayers

Comment

Working...
                                X