X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Women's Hockey 2018-2019: NO COMMERCIALS, NO MERCY

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
    but also the people (KK, KP, etc)
    Why is everyone so afraid to name these people, and only use initials? I'll name them if you'd like!

Comment

I will be the contrarian. Rush Hockey and Naps are great for girls hockey. The one I never liked was Beantown because of the timing, but it has its fans. Most of the colleges are doing their own summer camps and showcases now too. The real problem I see is that you can spend as much money as you want. And if you have to pay for prep school are you really getting a scholarship when you are just fronting the money ahead of time. Most of the girls that ended up DOne were playing hockey year round. They may have played other sports too but maybe hockey went down to twice a week.

Comment

• Originally posted by shelfit View Post
        Very astute observation. Those "money grabbers" should be ashamed of themselves but they're too shallow to feel shame for living off the dreams of others and they have no ethics so it's not a surprise either unfortunately.
        I have to disagree. They offer services that clearly people want. No one forces parents to spend their money. Everyone has a dream. Some events are better than others for sure but they offer players the chance to be seen by scouts. Especially players who may be geographically disadvantaged and/or not on one of the top teams that get scouted frequently. I don’t understand the unethical comment either. Having interacted with them both over the years as a parent and a coach, I have not seen any evidence that they are unethical- whatever that may mean in this context.
        Last edited by Rightnut; 12-12-2018, 08:58 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
          I have to disagree. They offer services that clearly people want. No one forces parents to spend their money. Everyone has a dream. Some events are better than others for sure but they offer players the chance to be seen by scouts. Especially players who may be geographically disadvantaged and/or not on one of the top teams that get scouted frequently. I don’t understand the unethical comment either. Having interacted with them both over the years as a parent and a coach, I have not seen any evidence that they are unethical- whatever that may mean in thi context.
          Disagree. KP hires D1 coaches & assistant coaches for off season camps & showcases, and don’t forget the boondoggles to Europe! That’s a fair amount of cash in their pockets- and voila! Those coaches, in turn, offer spots to her chosen ones. Very cozy set up. Not that these girls aren’t good players but everyone knows who KP is connected to (little happens in Madison without her blessing)
          And now those young commits are being steered to up Selects Academy, which benefits her as well.
          Parents feel a lot of pressure to get their daughters in her good graces (by registering for camps, showcases, etc) because they feel without her help they have no chance. (Exceptions would be in MN, where she has no influence)

Comment

Originally posted by DDad16 View Post
            Why is everyone so afraid to name these people, and only use initials? I'll name them if you'd like!
            Naming them doesn't matter. A lot of you are missing part of the picture. To think that all of these parents are to blame is not accurate. To blame the camps is just as unfair. Sure they make money but anytime you can get in front of the people that make decisions regarding a scholarship to play hockey you do it. Why discourage that?
            Parents start saving money for college when they get home from the hospital. It's a ridiculous, out of whack expense...and not every parent will have the luck to have their kid experience. Everyone plans their kids future from day one. College is thought of 100's of times while they grow up. We know that tuitions today (70k) are nowhere near where they will be even 3 years from now. If this isn't a concern as a parent than you should have been celibate.
            Again, anytime you can get your kid in front of these people you do it.
            You are also forgetting the most important part of the equation...the kid. My kid knew she wanted to go to BC when she was 10. I knew nothing about college hockey, let alone the prep school scene. All I knew was that the cost of college was $50k at that time. We were lucky enough to be introduced to the Wizards program and from the contacts there (specifically Scott Fusco) onto BBN. All that time it was going to be BC. Not because of me but her.

She did contact the coach sophomore year to tell them that she is verbally committing. She would have called at 10 years old if she could have. Her parents wouldn't allow it. Trust me I know them. She didn't care who the coach was...it was BC. I know that everyone understands that a verbal commitment is not iron clad. Either party can move on. Oliver Walstrom committed as a 10-12 year old to Maine. He was from Maine and wanted to go to UMaine. He changed his mind and then to Harvard. He changed his mind again and onto BC. He grew up and understood what was best for him.

Anytime you can get your kid in front of these people do it. It could save you $280k. or $350k with the Huskies.

Comment

Originally posted by Quiet Riot View Post
              Naming them doesn't matter. A lot of you are missing part of the picture. To think that all of these parents are to blame is not accurate. .
              I did not blame the parents...in fact I said that the coaches who say they don't like the early commits either, could stop it. I don't care who started it, but I believe they can stop it, but since no one did the NCAA will. Your post is a bit confusing...at first you talk about your daughter: "My kid knew she wanted to go to BC", then later "her parents wouldn't allow it"....so if you are trying to "throw us off" , you messed up here...

Comment

Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
                I did not blame the parents...in fact I said that the coaches who say they don't like the early commits either, could stop it. I don't care who started it, but I believe they can stop it, but since no one did the NCAA will. Your post is a bit confusing...at first you talk about your daughter: "My kid knew she wanted to go to BC", then later "her parents wouldn't allow it"....so if you are trying to "throw us off" , you messed up here...
                I had to pick one previous post and i picked yours. this wasn't addressed specifically to you.

"She would have called at 10 years old if she could have. Her parents wouldn't allow it."

I stated that her parents weren't going to allow her commit at 10 years old.

throw off? don't know what that means...messed up...nope

Comment

• Originally posted by Quiet Riot View Post
                  My kid knew she wanted to go to BC when she was 10.
                  I think that’s really cool. You see that a lot with the Minnesota commits in their profiles, talking about growing up dreaming of going to that school. In that regard, I definitely understand the early verbals. I’ve also known people who just don’t like the recruiting process, just want to make a decision and move on with their life.

Fascinating topic, and lots of interesting perspectives here.

Comment

Parents start saving money for college when they get home from the hospital.
                    We didn't for my kids. They got jobs in high school. They worked every summer HS through college and saved money. So did I. It worked out great.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                      We didn't for my kids. They got jobs in high school. They worked every summer HS through college and saved money. So did I. It worked out great.
                      That's truly impressive. They know what a dollar is and how hard it is to get one.
                      Good for them...and you. That's a huge worry that not a lot of people are lucky enough to be rid of.

Comment

Naming them doesn't matter. A lot of you are missing part of the picture. To think that all of these parents are to blame is not accurate. To blame the camps is just as unfair. Sure they make money but anytime you can get in front of the people that make decisions regarding a scholarship to play hockey you do it. Why discourage that?
                        Parents start saving money for college when they get home from the hospital. It's a ridiculous, out of whack expense...and not every parent will have the luck to have their kid experience. Everyone plans their kids future from day one. College is thought of 100's of times while they grow up. We know that tuitions today (70k) are nowhere near where they will be even 3 years from now. If this isn't a concern as a parent than you should have been celibate.
                        You are also forgetting the most important part of the equation...the kid. My kid knew she wanted to go to BC when she was 10. I knew nothing about college hockey, let alone the prep school scene. All I knew was that the cost of college was $50k at that time. We were lucky enough to be introduced to the Wizards program and from the contacts there (specifically Scott Fusco) onto BBN. All that time it was going to be BC. Not because of me but her.

She did contact the coach sophomore year to tell them that she is verbally committing. She would have called at 10 years old if she could have. Her parents wouldn't allow it. Trust me I know them. She didn't care who the coach was...it was BC. I know that everyone understands that a verbal commitment is not iron clad. Either party can move on. Oliver Walstrom committed as a 10-12 year old to Maine. He was from Maine and wanted to go to UMaine. He changed his mind and then to Harvard. He changed his mind again and onto BC. He grew up and understood what was best for him.

Anytime you can get your kid in front of these people do it. It could save you $280k. or $350k with the Huskies.
                        My daughter, like a lot of other girls in college, grew up playing with boys. We knew nothing about girls hockey. Summer selects was our first introduction into girls hockey. It was an invaluable experience and my daughter was able to meet, for the first time, other like minded and talented girls. She then played with and against them in college

Comment

My daughter, like a lot of other girls in college, grew up playing with boys. We knew nothing about girls hockey. Summer selects was our first introduction into girls hockey. It was an invaluable experience and my daughter was able to meet, for the first time, other like minded and talented girls. She then played with and against them in college

Comment

• Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
                            Disagree. KP hires D1 coaches & assistant coaches for off season camps & showcases, and don’t forget the boondoggles to Europe! That’s a fair amount of cash in their pockets- and voila! Those coaches, in turn, offer spots to her chosen ones. Very cozy set up. Not that these girls aren’t good players but everyone knows who KP is connected to (little happens in Madison without her blessing)
                            And now those young commits are being steered to up Selects Academy, which benefits her as well.
                            Parents feel a lot of pressure to get their daughters in her good graces (by registering for camps, showcases, etc) because they feel without her help they have no chance. (Exceptions would be in MN, where she has no influence)
                            So you are saying that parents should sign up with her because she will get their daughter on a college team.
                            Last edited by Rightnut; 12-12-2018, 05:22 PM.

Comment

That's truly impressive. They know what a dollar is and how hard it is to get one.
                              Good for them...and you. That's a huge worry that not a lot of people are lucky enough to be rid of.
                              We also didn't go to Ivy League priced schools either or become doctors, or we all still would be in debt.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
                                Y'all must be referring to the Girls Hockey Cartel of El Pippo! She is the guilty party of organizing wonderful family trips to Europe, Off Season Camps, & Showcases...for profit! I am just appalled! She also seems to have given the blessing of the 4 MN Girls currently on the roster at Wisco...so she has influence in MN too! I think we will have a turf war on our hands with the other evil known as the Brodt Cartel currently rooted in the MN Girls Hockey dynasty! These for profit Camps, Showcases, Trips are everywhere...and yes for profit. These two have very successful programs that attract the majority of good talent and have earned the respect of every coach throughout the country! Shame on them!

The bottom line is if a kid has some natural ability, loves & is committed to the game, works their butts off on & off the ice, they can go anywhere they want with or without anyone. Jealousy and hatred is just misguided frustration with your own situation. The memories and relationships gained from all the Trips, Camps, Tournaments, Etc. with my daughter will be something I will always cherish, along with the friendships I maintain with both these terrible individuals as well as all the coaches along the way.

Comment

Working...
                                X