This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers: Boogaloo

It's funny that despite our many differences we really only hate the same two candidates.

My own categorizations:

CA Garcetti -- small fry, there are always some like this
    CA Harris -- serious
    CA Newsom -- serious

CA Steyer-- rich man's vanity candidacy
    CA Swalwell -- media candidacy
    CO Hickenlooper -- small fry
    CT Murphy -- media
    DC Holder -- serious though I doubt he'll run
    DE Biden -- serous albeit ancient

HI Gabbard -- ridiculous candidacy
    MA Moulton -- small fry
    MA Patrick -- small fry
    MA Warren -- serious
    MD Delaney -- vanity
    MN Klobuchar -- serious
    NJ Booker -- serious

NY Bloomberg -- vanity
    NY Cuomo -- not running
    NY de Blasio -- small fry
    NY Gillibrand -- serious
    OH Brown -- serious

TX Castro -- media
    TX O'Rourke -- media and yet serious, like Obama
    VA Kaine -- establishment inertia candidacy
    VA McAuliffe -- inertia
    VT Sanders -- media
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

good lord, tD is going to win a 2nd term

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      CA Garcetti
      CA Harris
      CA Newsom
      CA Steyer
      CA Swalwell
      CO Hickenlooper
      CT Murphy
      DC Holder
      DE Biden
      HI Gabbard
      MA Moulton
      MA Patrick
      MA Warren
      MD Delaney
      MN Klobuchar
      NJ Booker
      NY Bloomberg
      NY Cuomo
      NY de Blasio
      NY Gillibrand
      OH Brown
      TX Castro
      TX O'Rourke
      VA Kaine
      VA McAuliffe
      VT Sanders
      countdown to the "draft hilly" campaign....
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

That's a good rundown, I think I mostly agree with your (Kepler) assessments. But yikes. That doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that Trump will be a one-termer. Again, I'm ever the pessimist with politics. But even among the serious candidates there...
        I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
          She doesn't seem to have been able to put the "shamelessly opportunistic" label behind her rightly or wrongly. Frankly I don't know a lot about her but I seem to recall she had a reputation as a bit of a moderate, safe pick from an update NY seat when she was appointed Senator. In fact I recall GOP Rep King declining to run for the Senate seat and saying that Gillenbrand doesn't inspire enough love or hate for him to be able to raise enough money off of to make it a competitive contest.
          I recall reading that she’s lost some support from big name donors due to how she treated franken. I hope that continues for her

Comment

I want to see Holder run just to witness the collective right-wing aneurysm.

Comment

I like the field. If you put the serious people up on stage together (Warren, Gillenbrand, Sanders, Brown, Harris, Biden, Klobacher, Booker, O'Rourke) that's a great debate that encompasses the entirety of the Dem coalition.

Way too early to talk about who will and won't beat Trump as aside from Biden and Sanders no one else has a national profile from a previous run. Lets see who catches fire and the imagination of Dems.
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                I want to see Holder run just to witness the collective right-wing aneurysm.
                Obama was our smartest president since Madison and Holder makes Obama look like an undergraduate. Holder, Warren, Klobuchar, and Harris debating would be like listening to a moot court at Harvard. But that could be a problem. The dummies really, really do not like smart people, and there are a sh-t ton of them.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Smart people are wasting their intellect in politics.

Unless of course you are a supreme ruler, and can dictate policy.
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    Smart people are wasting their intellect in politics.

Unless of course you are a supreme ruler, and can dictate policy.
                    Where have you gone, Marcus Aurelius? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Obama was our smartest president since Madison and Holder makes Obama look like an undergraduate. Holder, Warren, Klobuchar, and Harris debating would be like listening to a moot court at Harvard. But that could be a problem.
                      That's always a problem for the left. "Actually, according to Hegel, the for-itself can only be actualized through the in-itself. So the individuation of the subject necessarily demands the transcendence of the..."

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                        ... Klobuchar over her any day of the week.
                        She doesn't have "governor" on her resume, but she's my choice of the three you mention.
                        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Obama was our smartest president since Madison and Holder makes Obama look like an undergraduate. Holder, Warren, Klobuchar, and Harris debating would be like listening to a moot court at Harvard. But that could be a problem. The dummies really, really do not like smart people, and there are a sh-t ton of them.
                          There's one more problem:
                          Too many smart people do not grasp the concept of "know the audience" and say dumb (i.e. condescending) things at the worst times.

Case study: " ... basket of deplorables ... " She wasn't wrong. There's that deplorable fringe out there. But to cast it out for wide consumption made it a rallying cry for those wrongly tossed in the same basket.
                          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                            There's one more problem:
                            Too many smart people do not grasp the concept of "know the audience" and say dumb (i.e. condescending) things at the worst times.

Case study: " ... basket of deplorables ... " She wasn't wrong. There's that deplorable fringe out there. But to cast it out for wide consumption made it a rallying cry for those wrongly tossed in the same basket.
                            Tribalism. The appearance to some of being 'strong'. That's strong enough to say anything and making it not matter. Of course, that's terrible for both leadership and governance.
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

As someone posted, Sherrod Brown's bona fides are unquestionable. If he was the nominee I'd gladly vote for him and I wish the country was in a place where someone like Sherrod Brown would be electable as president. But having said that, he ain't got a chance.

I think he's low energy. He was on some short lists for VP in 2016 but folks realized he was much more valuable as a senator because had he left the senate (remember this was when most assumed the presidency was already Clinton's) he would be replaced by a republican appointee for the short term and his seat would likely be republican for the foreseeable future in Ohio, which make no mistake, is the reddest of red states outside those in the south or the white supremacist enclave of Idaho. But I also think the decision was made for other reasons. The fact is he won Ohio in part based on the power of his incumbency, moreso than a lot of other candidates who won re-election.

His win -- not that it matters a lot now because he did win -- was by a much smaller margin than almost all the polls showed. he also benefitted from the lack of willingness for the republican party to do much of anything to aid Renacci.

Of course with a real democratic machine behind him, and not the tattered remnants of the one masquerading as a political party in Ohio, maybe he'd have a chance were he to wake up long enough to win the nomination. On the eve of election day though, one of the people canvassing on my watch knocked on his door. He answered in a bathrobe. he wasn't campaigning for himself or other democrats. That's why I think he's a bit low energy.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                That's always a problem for the left. "Actually, according to Hegel, the for-itself can only be actualized through the in-itself. So the individuation of the subject necessarily demands the transcendence of the..."
                                Certainly. Science sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic and learning sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from bullsh-t. Especially when translated from German.

I don't blame the cattle for distrusting Hegel. I distrust him myself. Kant is even harder. But the mistake the dummies make is that something above them is meaningless. They mistake their personal limits for the limits of reason. Sometimes, a treatise is nonsense (cough, Heidegger) but sometimes the listener is just too short to reach the adults table.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 01-16-2019, 03:27 PM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X