Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Still upright

Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    a) Ferrari will never take him back, and b) he said he is not racing in F1 in 2019.
    I'm sure it will be INDYCAR and with whom is down to maybe 1 or 2 teams. It's definitely going to set off a lot of changes in F1 though. I think you'll see a couple of the development drivers moved up to regular seats and musical seats from everyone else.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Still upright

I saw where one of the Andretti's blamed Wickens today for the crash on lap 7, but in my mind it was all Hunter Reay. Wickens had overlap and Hunter reay moved over into him and kept moving over until they touched. I think Hunter Reay should be blamed, if anyone, for taking away racing room he should have given. Except he knows Wickens is faster and he doesn't want him to pass so we get this crap.

Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    I saw where one of the Andretti's blamed Wickens today for the crash on lap 7, but in my mind it was all Hunter Reay. Wickens had overlap and Hunter reay moved over into him and kept moving over until they touched. I think Hunter Reay should be blamed, if anyone, for taking away racing room he should have given. Except he knows Wickens is faster and he doesn't want him to pass so we get this crap.
    Agree. RHR caused that accident no doubt. Thankfully Wickens is ok.

I kept thinking no! Not another Greg Moore

My heart coukdnít Take that.

I hope this doesnít scare off Fernando.

Still upright

Gasly going to Red Bull, and Alonso will sit out this coming week and Norris from F2 will have his seat as a trial.

Alonso will sit out this coming week and Norris from F2 will have his seat as a trial.
    NOT true. Norris is only running FP1 in Alonso's car. Not the entire weekend. Alonso will be back in the car for FP2 onwards
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Still upright

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    NOT true. Norris is only running FP1 in Alonso's car. Not the entire weekend. Alonso will be back in the car for FP2 onwards
    Yes you are correct, sorry, I must have misread the item.

Iím worried Wickens is paralyzed

Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    I’m worried Wickens is paralyzed
    From the latest racer.com update: “The severity of the spinal cord injury is indeterminate at this time."

That has me very worried now.
    Russell Jaslow

I think the doctors are aware of the extent of Wickens injuries but for reasons unknown they are not divulging the info.

Still upright

I think the doctors are aware of the extent of Wickens injuries but for reasons unknown they are not divulging the info.
    The Indianapolis Star had an article where they said the rods and screws were installed to stabilize the situation. I dont know if that's a good sign or not. They said the surgery went as expected. Also don't know much from that either.

After Wheldon I wasnít sure what was a smart course for INDYCAR. Now after Wickens I think itís safe to say INDYCAR has two choices ahead:

1 - all ovals save for Indy must be one mile or less

2 - open the rules so the cars arenít covered by a blanket. A guy may win by 24 seconds but...

These cars are too close together to race superspeedways imo

Alonso would be smart to say heíll only race road/street courses if he comes

Also IF INDYCAR retains superspeedways thensafer barriers must be built 20 feet into the air. Catch fences are a terrible idea. They chew up cars, Wheldon, Wickens, Krosnoff and more...

Because the doctors can't without the explicit permission of the patient and family. HIPAA laws prevent the doctors from divulging anything the patient doesn't want them to.
    Russell Jaslow

Also IF INDYCAR retains superspeedways thensafer barriers must be built 20 feet into the air. Catch fences are a terrible idea. They chew up cars, Wheldon, Wickens, Krosnoff and more...
    Tony Renna.
    Russell Jaslow

Just a boring user.

After Wheldon I wasnít sure what was a smart course for INDYCAR. Now after Wickens I think itís safe to say INDYCAR has two choices ahead:

1 - all ovals save for Indy must be one mile or less

2 - open the rules so the cars arenít covered by a blanket. A guy may win by 24 seconds but...

These cars are too close together to race superspeedways imo

Alonso would be smart to say heíll only race road/street courses if he comes

I'm confused by your assertion that the cars are too close- that accident happened during the 2nd attempt to start the race, which means the cars are quite close together- there's no way around those instances. After that, they were never close, other than passing each other. IMHO, your post is more reactionary to that specific accident rather than what is going on for the rest of the race. The rest of the race was safe and fast, just like they are on most speedways. And the rules that put superspeedway aero for the short track was a great idea- really put the set up and the impact on the tires very much into play.

The catch fence part, that's spot on- they need to find a better solution than that. One that will absorb the car, tear it up *some* to absorb energy, but not get caught in the netting so that it rips the car apart in big chunks.

Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    I'm confused by your assertion that the cars are too close- that accident happened during the 2nd attempt to start the race, which means the cars are quite close together- there's no way around those instances. After that, they were never close, other than passing each other. IMHO, your post is more reactionary to that specific accident rather than what is going on for the rest of the race. The rest of the race was safe and fast, just like they are on most speedways. And the rules that put superspeedway aero for the short track was a great idea- really put the set up and the impact on the tires very much into play.

The catch fence part, that's spot on- they need to find a better solution than that. One that will absorb the car, tear it up *some* to absorb energy, but not get caught in the netting so that it rips the car apart in big chunks.
    Itís definitely reactionary. I missed the race so I only caught the accident.
    Iím very worried about Wickens. He was a clear star consistently outperforming Hinchcliffe. Weíve seen several instances where guys got lucky to walk away.

Beyond that iím worried About the perception of the sport. Jeff Gordon wouldnít race Indy because of memories of Greg Moore. Lewis Hamilton wonít ever race here or consider it due to Dan Wheldon. Alonso?

INDYCAR is viewed as incredibly dangerous and maybe that was ok from inception to the early 90ís, drivers accepted it, fans accepted it. Al Unser Jr., once said of injuries or the specter of dying in the car ďitís the nature of the beastĒ...

I think catch fencing should go and also superspeedways. Take away the ability to get thrown into fence at 220.

Just a couple quick thoughts.

Just a boring user.

Itís definitely reactionary. I missed the race so I only caught the accident.
    Iím very worried about Wickens. He was a clear star consistently outperforming Hinchcliffe. Weíve seen several instances where guys got lucky to walk away.

Beyond that iím worried About the perception of the sport. Jeff Gordon wouldnít race Indy because of memories of Greg Moore. Lewis Hamilton wonít ever race here or consider it due to Dan Wheldon. Alonso?

INDYCAR is viewed as incredibly dangerous and maybe that was ok from inception to the early 90ís, drivers accepted it, fans accepted it. Al Unser Jr., once said of injuries or the specter of dying in the car ďitís the nature of the beastĒ...

I think catch fencing should go and also superspeedways. Take away the ability to get thrown into fence at 220.

Just a couple quick thoughts.
    IMHO, the other drivers are deluding themselves that they are somehow safer. We have seen cars get thrown in the air in F1, so this can easily happen. We've also seen accidents in F1 that would never have occurred in Indycar- such as Jules. Or when corner workers are injured because of the lack of SC times. And we've also seen the alternate ways that drivers get injured and killed in closed cars. Nothing is safe in any motorsports, and decades of injuries and sometimes death very much illustrate that.

Death has happened in spectacular accidents and ones that look very simple. And drivers have walked away from crashes that look like they could have been killed. Regardless of what series they are in. So drivers get comfortable in the series they are in, and look with disdain onto other series. As I see it, that's the reality.

And it is the nature of the beast.

Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    IMHO, the other drivers are deluding themselves that they are somehow safer. We have seen cars get thrown in the air in F1, so this can easily happen. We've also seen accidents in F1 that would never have occurred in Indycar- such as Jules. Or when corner workers are injured because of the lack of SC times. And we've also seen the alternate ways that drivers get injured and killed in closed cars. Nothing is safe in any motorsports, and decades of injuries and sometimes death very much illustrate that.

Death has happened in spectacular accidents and ones that look very simple. And drivers have walked away from crashes that look like they could have been killed. Regardless of what series they are in. So drivers get comfortable in the series they are in, and look with disdain onto other series. As I see it, that's the reality.

And it is the nature of the beast.
    Youíre slowly talking me off the ledge re Indy 😎

Still upright

Youíre slowly talking me off the ledge re Indy 😎
    https://www.autosport.com/indycar/ne...safety-changes

I agree on raising safer barriers for sure. Do it all the way around the tracks and remove rows of seats if theyíre obstructed
    Last edited by solovsfett; 08-22-2018 at 11:37 AM.

Just a boring user.

I agree on raise no safer barriers for sure. Do it all the way around the tracks and remove rows of seats if theyíre obstructed
    It's not as if you are going to lose any fans- even at NASCAR races, the stands can be made smaller.

Thread Information