Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Just a boring user.

Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    For some reason I get those two guys confused on a regular basis. There's a lot of rumblings on other sites that Ferrari is not going to sign Kimi again and might insist instead that he go to Sauber in exchange for LeClerc. I think LeClerc is fast and up and coming but he's not as fast as Kimi and Ferrari has dropped the ball with Kimi several times this year. Word is that Marchionne wanted LeClerc and now that he's gone it's all in turmoil.
    BTW I saw this movie on the airplane recently and it's really worth watching. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3e5hGgeNoQ
    I know LeClerc is still not quite there, but I really think he's going to win a Championship with Ferrari. I know a lot of credit should be given to Sauber and the team, but I also think a lot of that his Charles, especially considering how much faster than Ericcson.

I'm no FCA fan, but I am really sad that Marchionne is doing so badly- they called it grave this morning on NPR. Big bummer.

And I saw that movie a few weeks ago on a flight home. Interesting, but also kind of sad, illustrating how Ferrari manipulated his drivers and the outcome in that era.

But back to Kimi- I don't know how to read the situation. He's not regularly faster than Seb on one hand, but is driving better than he has in years, on the other. And he's being treated really badly by the team leaders- always bowing down to Vettel. It's almost as if the team has totally forgotten who won them a title, and who beat them to titles.

Still upright

MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

I love F1 but this bull**** of having number 1 and number 2 drivers is degrading. Either let them duke it out in the track or race one car.

Senna/Prost is still the best thing to happen to F1 because they were allowed to each other as hard as possible.

Re: INDYCAR, I hope Rossi wins today with Newgarden second.

Still upright

Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    I love F1 but this bull**** of having number 1 and number 2 drivers is degrading. Either let them duke it out in the track or race one car.

Senna/Prost is still the best thing to happen to F1 because they were allowed to each other as hard as possible.

Re: INDYCAR, I hope Rossi wins today with Newgarden second.
    The trouble with having two number ones is you get what happened at Red Bull. Kimi has taken it in the shorts as has Bottas and others over the years. Mercedes won today because they set up Bottas to go a little bit slow and let Hamilton get a good cushion. This saved his tires and he cruised. If he had been forced into using them, the Ferrari's would probably have gone 1/2.
    You got half your wish anyway.

The trouble with having two number ones is you get what happened at Red Bull. Kimi has taken it in the shorts as has Bottas and others over the years. Mercedes won today because they set up Bottas to go a little bit slow and let Hamilton get a good cushion. This saved his tires and he cruised. If he had been forced into using them, the Ferrari's would probably have gone 1/2.
    I just don’t think it’s anything’but a video game if you have a pecking order. That's Why I love when Andretti drivers duke it out, they’re allowed to race each other. Even Penske allows it.

I think Bottas could challenge Hamilton and Vettel but he’s harnessed by bs team orders.
    Last edited by solovsfett; 07-29-2018 at 06:54 PM.

Just a boring user.

Given the struggle that Vettel had to pass Bottas, and Hamilton having far better tires, I don't see how the Ferraris could have passed Hamilton. Wrong track. Even if they forced Lewis to drive harder, I just don't see the pass being made. And as much as I really hate Ferrari, I hope that the rule makers see the boring races thanks to how the aero works out. You should not be able to hold off a car that is 1-2 seconds a lap faster than you for that long and that easily.

I'm also not convinced that Bottas is that fast of a driver. There's been plenty of chances where he could have shown his ability, and has not really shown the pace. Good driver, no doubt, but not a great one.

Nice win by Rossi, BTW. And I'm sure there's a lot of crying over him making it a fuel economy run. But looking at his lap times when it mattered, he didn't give up that much. For the most part, he won by a pit stop (ok, it was far less than that, but given how much he had to save, it should have been a lot closer). And better, when he was still working on a FE run, he was closing on drivers who were not. Great drive.

Still upright

Speaking of overtaking, here's the rules changes for next year and a little further on. Also a blown rim as he was mentioning, is a wheel center that has air blown out the center of it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1LlCNgF8DI

Still upright

The politics of the Force India situation is getting comical.But the underlying issues have been there for a while and now everyone is finding out.
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/45026461

this is a good article about the costs and benefits of the various racing series. I'd say indycar has turned a corner and is doing a lot better but losing Verizon will be a blow.
    https://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/...ar-and-indycar

thirdly,
    You might have watched a little of the free stream of the Mazda road to indy races from mid Ohio this last week. It' not cheap to run a team in this series but it is good racing, a lot better training than indy lights, but Mazda is not going to sponsor it after this year. They will need a new sponsor, though I think the series will survive.

And last, this last weekend at Road America in Wisconsin, a Formula C racer on a test day was killed in the Kink. ( one of the fastest corners in American road racing. A suspension piece on his car broke and he hit a cement wall. ) This is the second American killed this year in amatuer open wheel racing. The first was a man from Illinois up at A canadian track driving a Formula A. He lost control of his car and hit a wall also. There are barriers that could have been in place in each of these events that might not have resulted in a fatality. I seriously hope tracks do more in prevention.

And last, this last weekend at Road America in Wisconsin, a Formula C racer on a test day was killed in the Kink. ( one of the fastest corners in American road racing. A suspension piece on his car broke and he hit a cement wall. ) This is the second American killed this year in amatuer open wheel racing. The first was a man from Illinois up at A canadian track driving a Formula A. He lost control of his car and hit a wall also. There are barriers that could have been in place in each of these events that might not have resulted in a fatality. I seriously hope tracks do more in prevention.
    At Mosport during Canada's largest vintage weekend driving a Formula 5000 car, a 1972 Lola T300. Jeff Green, from Illinois, was an established race car driver who also competed in Formula Mazda and was quite competitive. So, he wasn't the typical "weekend" racer. He also helped bankroll Victor Franzoni's Indy Lights ride.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    At Mosport during Canada's largest vintage weekend driving a Formula 5000 car, a 1972 Lola T300. Jeff Green, from Illinois, was an established race car driver who also competed in Formula Mazda and was quite competitive. So, he wasn't the typical "weekend" racer. He also helped bankroll Victor Franzoni's Indy Lights ride.
    I miss Formula 5000 races at The Glen.

Still upright

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    I miss Formula 5000 races at The Glen.
    We are staritng to get some clarity on who is driving for whom next year. I don't think Alonso is moving to indycar. He's been making comments on the work they have put in for the 2019 car.And neither do I think McLaren is going to run a team next year. Lance Stroll is moving to Force India since his dad bought the team this morning. That leaves an opening at Williams. I think it will be Sainz, but I could be wrong. Sainz is popular with some other teams also. Mercedes has to decide a few things and they have really 4 drivers for 3 openings plus their formula 2 guy is really good and banging down the door for a ride. Renault also has too many drivers and has to get rid of one.

It should be an interesting next 10 days.
    Last edited by manurespreader; 08-07-2018 at 09:11 PM.

Just a boring user.

We are staritng to get some clarity on who is driving for whom next year. I don't think Alonso is moving to indycar. He's been making comments on the work they have put in for the 2019 car.And neither do I think McLaren is going to run a team next year. Lance Stroll is moving to Force India since his dad bought the team this morning. That leaves an opening at Williams. I think it will be Sainz, but I could be wrong. Sainz is popular with some other teams also. Mercedes has to decide a few things and they have really 4 drivers for 3 openings plus their formula 2 guy is really good and banging down the door for a ride. Renault also has too many drivers and has to get rid of one.

I really wish Stroll didn't win FI. As much as Rossi sr is the same thing, the fact that he was teamed with Andretti would have made that a better team. Or the energy drink group would also have been better, as that would have brought a company that is growing fast be able to take on Red Bull in both the market and F1- listening to one of their owners, they have a pretty clear vision.

Stroll just want to get Lance a seat.

I could be wrong, but what qualifications does the Stroll family have in making race cars or even racing at a high level?

Technically, Lawrence Stroll did not buy the team. He was an investor in a consortium that took over the team.

But, considering he is the only one who has a son in F1....

Ocon may end up at Williams. Perez will not lose the Force India ride due to his sponsors funding of that team. So, Ocon is the odd man out, and Mercedes is starting to have closer working relationships with Williams, so I think Ocon ends up there. Sainz will go to McLaren as I don't think Red Bull will pull him back. Red Bull will go with Gasly to appease Verstappen. The big question is who does Red Bull put at Toro Rosso? They have nobody qualified in the pipeline.
    Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 08-08-2018 at 07:58 AM.
    Russell Jaslow

Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    I really wish Stroll didn't win FI. As much as Rossi sr is the same thing, the fact that he was teamed with Andretti would have made that a better team. Or the energy drink group would also have been better, as that would have brought a company that is growing fast be able to take on Red Bull in both the market and F1- listening to one of their owners, they have a pretty clear vision.

Stroll just want to get Lance a seat.

I could be wrong, but what qualifications does the Stroll family have in making race cars or even racing at a high level?
    That energy drink group are complete scam artists. They have nothing. They barely have a product. When the administration judge saw their balance sheet, he immediately threw them out of any consideration.

As for Stroll, it's not like they are going to make the technical or race operations decisions on the team anymore than Mallya did. Mallya put a great group of racing people in charge of that sort of thing which is why Force India always punched above their weight with limited resources. The Stroll consortium will do the same -- provide the money (and a driver) and get out of the way.
    Russell Jaslow

Technically, Lawrence Stroll did not buy the team. He was an investor in a consortium that took over the team.
    Reuters report that administrators accepted the offer from Stroll’s fellow investors which include Canadian entrepreneur Andre Desmarais, Jonathan Dudman of Monaco Sports and Management, fashion business leader John Idol, telecommunications investor John McCaw Jr, financial expert Michael de Picciotto, and Stroll’s business partner Silas Chou.

I wonder if John McCaw, Jr. is related in anyway to Bruce McCaw, the former CART team owner, who made his fortune in the telecommunications industry?
    Russell Jaslow

Just a boring user.

That energy drink group are complete scam artists. They have nothing. They barely have a product. When the administration judge saw their balance sheet, he immediately threw them out of any consideration.

As for Stroll, it's not like they are going to make the technical or race operations decisions on the team anymore than Mallya did. Mallya put a great group of racing people in charge of that sort of thing which is why Force India always punched above their weight with limited resources. The Stroll consortium will do the same -- provide the money (and a driver) and get out of the way.
    Even if they are an investment group, they also have to know what and where to invest in. While the team may tell them, I'm not sure they will correctly follow that, especially if little Stroll struggles- since he seems to be a pretty poor vehicle development driver.

Mallya didn't have the same kind of skin in the game, so other than trying to get an Indian driver, his interests are not nearly as personal, so he was able to manage the investment pretty darned well. Other than the fact that he lost HUGE money, which lead to the demise of the team.

I just don't see Stroll Sr getting out of the way with Stroll Jr as a key member of the team, and that's a problem.

Dixon signs a multi-year deal with Ganassi which is the smart choice.

Rumors are starting in an announcement from Alonso tomorrow.

I can’t help but think he’s going to INDYCAR. Why else post a cryptic tweet about a presser? If he’s staying it’s not a reason for a hyped announcement I wouldn’t think.

We’ll see.

Just a boring user.

So Alonso will not be driving for McLaren in 2019 https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...-in-f1-in-2019

Not all that surprising of news, but interesting. No announcement of where he will race next.

Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    So Alonso will not be driving for McLaren in 2019 https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...-in-f1-in-2019

Not all that surprising of news, but interesting. No announcement of where he will race next.
    INDYCAR or he replaces raikonnen at Ferrari IF his ego can handle Vettel as teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    INDYCAR or he replaces raikonnen at Ferrari IF his ego can handle Vettel as teammate.
    a) Ferrari will never take him back, and b) he said he is not racing in F1 in 2019.
    Russell Jaslow

Thread Information