Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Stuck throttle on that? (Can that happen in a "Fly by Wire" car?) That was strange in that she was carrying so much more speed than everyone...
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
      Stuck throttle on that? (Can that happen in a "Fly by Wire" car?) That was strange in that she was carrying so much more speed than everyone...
      She touched wheels with a car (before any of the videos picked this up), ran into the curbing which accentuated going airborne (and once airborne, nothing was slowing her down while everyone else was braking for the corner, thus the extreme speed differential by the time the various videos pick up the scene), and then flew over the car you do see in the video before going over the wall/fence. Most of this info comes from a racer.com article. The car you see slowing down all the way to driver's left is probably the one she touched wheels with.

Unless the FIA releases the onboard videos of all drivers involved, we may not know who's fault the initial wheel touching was.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
        She touched wheels with a car (before any of the videos picked this up), ran into the curbing which accentuated going airborne (and once airborne, nothing was slowing her down while everyone else was braking for the corner, thus the extreme speed differential by the time the various videos pick up the scene), and then flew over the car you do see in the video before going over the wall/fence. Most of this info comes from a racer.com article. The car you see slowing down all the way to driver's left is probably the one she touched wheels with.

Unless the FIA releases the onboard videos of all drivers involved, we may not know who's fault the initial wheel touching was.
        And she came real close to hitting that post which might have made a much different result.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CohuAMqJFNc

Comment

Hard to say much about the first testing of the year but Stroll was 3ed fastest for Force India, and Raikkonen is 3ed from last in the Sauber.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              Also, Fernando and Jimmy Johnson swapped rides on Monday- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-pAxfbZRIU

This was a 2013 McLaren, not the most recent one. But Johnson was able to get within 0.2 sec of Fernando's benchmark time set in the car. Which is just like the last two times that a cup drive swapped seats with an F1 driver- where the cup driver was much faster than anyone expected in the car- and much faster, relative, than the F1 driver was in the cup car. I really don't like watching NASCAR, but I certainly appreciate how good of drivers they are- I've done a NASCAR drive at MIS, and they balance a heavy car, with little aero, on small tires for hours at a time. Pretty amazing.

Comment

Hard to say much about the first testing of the year but Stroll was 3ed fastest for Force India, and Raikkonen is 3ed from last in the Sauber.
                There's nothing to say. :-) They are using a mix of this year's and next year's tires, so any times are completely meaningless.
                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                  Also, Fernando and Jimmy Johnson swapped rides on Monday- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-pAxfbZRIU

This was a 2013 McLaren, not the most recent one. But Johnson was able to get within 0.2 sec of Fernando's benchmark time set in the car. Which is just like the last two times that a cup drive swapped seats with an F1 driver- where the cup driver was much faster than anyone expected in the car- and much faster, relative, than the F1 driver was in the cup car. I really don't like watching NASCAR, but I certainly appreciate how good of drivers they are- I've done a NASCAR drive at MIS, and they balance a heavy car, with little aero, on small tires for hours at a time. Pretty amazing.
                  They have to use F1 cars over x number of years old, otherwise it's considered an official test which if course is against the rules.

When Hamilton and Stewart did the exchange at Watkins Glen, the first session was damp, so each driver ended up with faster times in the other one's cars than the regular drivers of those cars. It was hysterical looking at the non-racing press hype that without any idea what really happened.

I agree with you on what NASCAR drivers have to do. Many don't realize how difficult they have it driving those cars -- overweight, no downforce to speak of, and no tires worth a darn. Plus, they get more time in their cars than perhaps any other form of racing, even endurance racing (because their schedules are short). And there's nothing like time behind the wheel.
                  Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 11-28-2018, 07:33 AM.
                  Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post

I think that’s why guys like Gurney, Mario, Stewart and AJ are legends. You can only cross over to nascar and be successful if you have dirt track experience or something similar where cars slide up the turns etc. without that experience you have Montoya, Franchitti et al.

It’s easier going from taxi cabs to cars on rails. Much easier.

Whether Johnson would find that .2 is unknown but I wouldn’t bet against it.

I hate to say all this because I really don’t care for what a i cabs but...
                    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Just FYI, but on Sundays, starting tomorrow at 9 pm on CBS sports, will be races from the SCCA runoffs this year at Sonoma. Every Sunday evening in December. FF is near the end of the month but there are some good hard top races also.

Comment

Just FYI, but on Sundays, starting tomorrow at 9 pm on CBS sports, will be races from the SCCA runoffs this year at Sonoma. Every Sunday evening in December. FF is near the end of the month but there are some good hard top races also.
                        Sweeeeet. While I know nobody, the racing is still fun to watch.

Comment

Sweeeeet. While I know nobody, the racing is still fun to watch.
                          Anyone have any comments on Formula E?. The season starts this week.

Comment

Anyone have any comments on Formula E?. The season starts this week.
                            I struggle with it.

I've really not found myself interested enough to watch an entire race. I've seen bits and pieces, but it does not capture my attention that much.

Comment

I struggle with it.

I've really not found myself interested enough to watch an entire race. I've seen bits and pieces, but it does not capture my attention that much.
                              The cars are fast and supported by big money but... they don't last an entire race, so the driver has to come in and change cars part way through. Otherwise good racing. I believe SCCA is sponsoring a Formula E series in the US but I don't know much about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                                The cars are fast and supported by big money but... they don't last an entire race, so the driver has to come in and change cars part way through. Otherwise good racing. I believe SCCA is sponsoring a Formula E series in the US but I don't know much about it.
                                I wish they would change the battery packs and not the car. The technology would filter down to the public.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X