Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

So COTA is on the schedule for INDYCAR, interesting.

Also Alonso testing this week with Andretti.

Holding court

Alonso seemed quite happy in Alabama yesterday. Will be interesting to see what kind of shot in the arm he gives the series over a full season. New schedule looks good. People are freaking over COTA (*shrugs*). Need a title sponsor, need to work on super speedway package, need to continue to look into safety items like windscreen and possibility of extending safer barrier higher, need to find a way to increase the size of the purses for these races ... but otherwise things are looking up.

NBC will be better. Schedule keeps getting better. More cars seem to be in the works. Alonso will raise status of the series by himself and increase international interest.
    Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 09-06-2018 at 02:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Just a boring user.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Alonso seemed quite happy in Alabama yesterday. Will be interesting to see what kind of shot in the arm he gives the series over a full season. New schedule looks good. People are freaking over COTA (*shrugs*). Need a title sponsor, need to work on super speedway package, need to continue to look into safety items like windscreen and possibility of extending safer barrier higher, need to find a way to increase the size of the purses for these races ... but otherwise things are looking up.

NBC will be better. Schedule keeps getting better. More cars seem to be in the works. Alonso will raise status of the series by himself and increase international interest.
    While I very much like the idea of Indycar racing at COTA, I'm not really sure why people think this is some earth moving thing. Indycars and F1 cars are not even close to each other- so why the need to compare them? And the racing strategies are way more different- with Indycar adding in refueling to work with tire wear. Totally ignoring the powertrain issue. The only thing they have in common is a DI V6 turbo. Other than that, they bear no relationship. And the aero concept is MUCH different.

So I just don't get the fascination to compare the two series. Unless F1 is worried that Indycar is so much more reasonable to race at that money will start heading there.... Which has happened exactly never, when it's always been an option.

Still upright

Looks like LeClerc to Ferrari is a done deal and Kimi is out. Might he retire or go to Indycar or a lesser team?
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    Looks like LeClerc to Ferrari is a done deal and Kimi is out. Might he retire or go to Indycar or a lesser team?
    It would be awesome to see him in INDYCAR!

I doubt he’d come though, no teams with money for him plus I don’t think he’s showed interest ever.

Just a boring user.

It's official now. https://formula1.ferrari.com/en/kimi-...e-end-of-2018/ and https://formula1.ferrari.com/en/charl...rrari-in-2019/

But here's the odd part- Kimi is going to Sauber. https://www.sauberf1team.com/news/ki...am-from-2019-2 which makes no sense to me, unless Kimi is doing it for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    It's official now. https://formula1.ferrari.com/en/kimi-...e-end-of-2018/ and https://formula1.ferrari.com/en/charl...rrari-in-2019/

But here's the odd part- Kimi is going to Sauber. https://www.sauberf1team.com/news/ki...am-from-2019-2 which makes no sense to me, unless Kimi is doing it for the money.
    Bizarre. He won’t Have a chance for podiums so I assume Sauber bought Kimi a small country to come over.

Still upright

I believe Ferrari controls one of the Sauber seats and Kimi is really good technically so the car will improve a good bit. Having said that, no way he's on the podium unless maybe 4 or 5 guys in front of him all crash.

Still upright

Well here is some other news in Formula cars.
    Club Ford has gotten really big on the west coast to the point where cheating has shown up. The vintage race organizers are really not set up like the SCCA is to tear down a car and the protest fee is so big no one protests. So a number of guys who happen to have what can be chraitibly described as suspect motors, all on the west coast, have been winning races in older cars vs much newer and thoeretically faster machines.. Anyway bottom line the non cheaters, being unable to convice the others to submit to a teardown have started their own vintage series for cars which are willing to be torn down. Hopefully it will be something everyone else takes to heart.

Next year being the 50th Anniversary of FF there will be a lot of events.
    Last edited by manurespreader; 09-11-2018 at 07:12 PM.

Let's go RED!

While I very much like the idea of Indycar racing at COTA, I'm not really sure why people think this is some earth moving thing. Indycars and F1 cars are not even close to each other- so why the need to compare them? And the racing strategies are way more different- with Indycar adding in refueling to work with tire wear. Totally ignoring the powertrain issue. The only thing they have in common is a DI V6 turbo. Other than that, they bear no relationship. And the aero concept is MUCH different.

So I just don't get the fascination to compare the two series. Unless F1 is worried that Indycar is so much more reasonable to race at that money will start heading there.... Which has happened exactly never, when it's always been an option.
    I think it is interesting to compare the different technologies and look at how the cars perform differently like the braking points, the speed through and acceleration points thru the corners. The top speed is also a point of interest and even look at the acceleration and deceleration rates. I would also be curious about the drag numbers between the 2.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Just a boring user.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    I think it is interesting to compare the different technologies and look at how the cars perform differently like the braking points, the speed through and acceleration points thru the corners. The top speed is also a point of interest and even look at the acceleration and deceleration rates. I would also be curious about the drag numbers between the 2.
    It's interesting, sure. But earth shattering and some how a threat to either series that the cars can be directly compared to each other? The two series are so totally different that a comparison is more an academic thing than some meaningful grade of the two series.

It's interesting, sure. But earth shattering and some how a threat to either series that the cars can be directly compared to each other? The two series are so totally different that a comparison is more an academic thing than some meaningful grade of the two series.
    It's all going to be moot, because they are talking about using a different configuration for Indy car. So much so, that COTA is even thinking of adding a new section just to give Indy car a different layout.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Holding court

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    It's all going to be moot, because they are talking about using a different configuration for Indy car. So much so, that COTA is even thinking of adding a new section just to give Indy car a different layout.
    Personally I like this so we don't have to deal with the comparing of lap times.
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Still upright

I love Raikkonen, he is so funny! You can hear the press laughing in the background. "Are you going to help Vettel win the championship",......" I can only drive one car."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzJicWmy8dA

Personally I like this so we don't have to deal with the comparing of lap times.
    And after all that, Indy car says they will race the same configuration as F1.

My attitude is, who cares about the lap times? We all know F1, due to various technical reasons, will be faster than an Indy car. So what. Enjoy whatever race you want to watch, and leave it at that. Like you said, we shouldn't have to deal with the comparison.

I can't remember anyone making a big deal over the lap times of the WEC and IMSA when they both ran at COTA. Even when they were there on the same weekend. People watched each race and enjoyed them for what they were.

Speaking of IMSA, has anyone ever done Sebring? I'm seriously thinking of going since it's now a doubleheader with WEC. Of course, I have no idea where to stay since all rooms within an hour drive of the track have been sold out since the day after this past year's race. But other than that, any tips for attending that weekend?
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar

How can I follow online? I don't have cable...
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Still upright

For indycar they have video highlights an hour or so after the race and qualifying. They also show the entire race on their web site the next day.
    For F1 you can buy the video feed live or you can use the feeds of others. F1 word is a good site, they have a youtube channel, F1 has it's own, which is pretty good, there is a live animated version of the race on line, you can tune in via tune in radio to BBC 5 and listen to the race sometimes, not every time, the BBC on twitter has live chat as the race goes by which is what I usually use( that way if I'm at a track somewhere I can still follow) and you can go to the twitter feed of both F1 and the BBc and find good stuff.
    Otherwise, for other open wheel series, Racer magazine is pretty good but you have to subscribe.

Open wheel racing is amazingly diverse and vibrant and there are too many Formula if you ask me. Each of which has a following and each of which is monstrosuly expensive, Even FVee.
    Last edited by manurespreader; 09-14-2018 at 06:39 PM.

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar

For indycar they have video highlights an hour or so after the race and qualifying. They also show the entire race on their web site the next day.
    For F1 you can buy the video feed live or you can use the feeds of others. F1 word is a good site, they have a youtube channel, F1 has it's own, which is pretty good, there is a live animated version of the race on line, you can tune in via tune in radio to BBC 5 and listen to the race sometimes, not every time, the BBC on twitter has live chat as the race goes by which is what I usually use( that way if I'm at a track somewhere I can still follow) and you can go to the twitter feed of both F1 and the BBc and find good stuff.
    Otherwise, for other open wheel series, Racer magazine is pretty good but you have to subscribe.

Open wheel racing is amazingly diverse and vibrant and there are too many Formula if you ask me. Each of which has a following and each of which is monstrosuly expensive, Even FVee.
    Thanks! Much like everything else, once I knew what I was watching, and what to watch for, it became so much more enjoyable.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Holding court

Dixon. GOAT?

So sad this season is over though. Should be interesting to see all the seats get filled. Not sure what this nonsense is between Andretti and Harding (Honda and Chevy) but I don't like it. They got Pato O'Ward a terrific car from Andretti apparently? Gave Chaves garbage all season long until they threw him out like trash to cash in on checks from other drivers.

Dixon. GOAT?

So sad this season is over though. Should be interesting to see all the seats get filled. Not sure what this nonsense is between Andretti and Harding (Honda and Chevy) but I don't like it. They got Pato O'Ward a terrific car from Andretti apparently? Gave Chaves garbage all season long until they threw him out like trash to cash in on checks from other drivers.
    Dixon certainly needs to be in the conversation of GOAT. In the era he’s raced in there haven’t been years where one or maybe two guys dominate a season like Michael did or Al Jr. Mario, A.J. Etc would win races by an entire lap or more at times. So with the era of parity Dixon has what 42 wins? That’s absolutely astounding work.

Gotta say O’Ward is the real deal. He showed much better than Herta.

Also, Rossi is going to be a great driver for a long long time. I was skeptical at first but this season erased those doubts.

Finally, Robert Wickens released a video. He wants to race again someday. I just hope he can walk out of the hospital on his own. Anything beyond that is amazing.

Thread Information