Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Interesting discussion on a reporters interpretation of what they've been told about the '21 rules- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZlEoE0Epgw

Key highlights- going from wing centric downforce to undertray/ground effects; 18" tires should help with suspension and aero models due to a better spring prediction system; no devices to push air around the car.

It will be interesting to see if it holds, as teams still want some individual style in the cars. But even with a virtually spec engine design, we still have had 4 very different powertrains. And I'm sure there will be some way to be creative- heck, the undertray will be so new to F1 that there's plenty of space to be individual there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      Here's a possibility for Mick Schumacher which I'm surprised I didn't think of earlier.

Mind you, I don't believe Mick is ready for F1, and quite frankly don't believe he ever will be. (He'll be the next Rolf Schumacher, not the next Michael...)

Nonetheless, if Ferrari is determined to eventually have Mick drive for them, then they could put him on Alfa Romeo next year. Let's face it, Antonio Giovinazzi is not going to be the next great Ferrari driver they were originally hoping for. So, if they push Antonio out next year, they can put Mick in there to give him some space with less pressure to hone his F1 skills.
      Good idea. I have no idea how good Mick is or can be, I guess i’m Pulling for him more out of nostalgia. Also, kids and relatives of former greats haven’t fared too well: Bruno Senna, Mansell’s sons, Prost etc

The one exception I can think of was Nelson Piquet Jr., whom I think could have been champion.
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
        Good idea. I have no idea how good Mick is or can be, I guess i’m Pulling for him more out of nostalgia. Also, kids and relatives of former greats haven’t fared too well: Bruno Senna, Mansell’s sons, Prost etc

The one exception I can think of was Nelson Piquet Jr., whom I think could have been champion.
        Damon Hill. Jacques Villeneuve. Nico Rosberg.

Max Verstappen. Kevin Magnussen.
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Damon Hill. Jacques Villeneuve. Nico Rosberg.

Max Verstappen. Kevin Magnussen.
          Agree on this list except Hill and Magnussen. Damon won a title in a car where I think the 20th place guy could’ve won.

Jury is out on KM I think

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Agree on this list except Hill and Magnussen. Damon won a title in a car where I think the 20th place guy could’ve won.
            But your definition was "fared too well." I think winning a title no matter how it's done, is faring pretty good. :-)

There are certainly a few guys who won titles that makes you scratch your head. I have always considered Damon to be one of the most undeserving titlist. The thing is, he could have won twice if not for Michael Schumacher's blatant cheater move.

Also, Button's title was a bit "lucky."

What would we be thinking of Massa if he actually did get that title he held for two corners?

Jury is out on KM I think
            I agree. But he's been around a lot longer than those who have not fared so well. That alone deserves some credit.
            Russell Jaslow

Comment

But your definition was "fared too well." I think winning a title no matter how it's done, is faring pretty good. :-)

There are certainly a few guys who won titles that makes you scratch your head. I have always considered Damon to be one of the most undeserving titlist. The thing is, he could have won twice if not for Michael Schumacher's blatant cheater move.

Also, Button's title was a bit "lucky."

What would we be thinking of Massa if he actually did get that title he held for two corners?

I agree. But he's been around a lot longer than those who have not fared so well. That alone deserves some credit.
              Agree on all of this.

Do you have any thoughts (going waaaay back) on Stefan Bellof? sp? I’ve heard he could have been another Senna type driver?

Comment

Do you have any thoughts (going waaaay back) on Stefan Bellof? sp? I’ve heard he could have been another Senna type driver?
                I don't know much about him, which is strange because I certainly was following the sport closely back then.

I know many considered him a potential champion, but he never was able to show much promise being on a terrible team using normally aspirated engines which were terribly down on power ... and then the team got kicked out of the series for cheating.

Also, he never competed in the British F3 series, which back then was the must do series to participate in to start making a name for yourself.

Many say his fatal crash was his fault. I once saw the in-car camera from Ickx's car, which stayed on for the entire rescue attempt. I'm sure it's on YouTube somewhere. Not a pleasant watch.
                Russell Jaslow

Comment

So any predictions for this weeks German GP? I'm going with LeClerc to win his first ever.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    So any predictions for this weeks German GP? I'm going with LeClerc to win his first ever.
                    It’s going to be hot. But Mercedes says they fixed their overheating problem. Never underestimate Mercedes' ability to fix a problem in one shot.

Meanwhile, I like their unique tribute to their history with their one off livery.
                    Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                      It’s going to be hot. But Mercedes says they fixed their overheating problem. Never underestimate Mercedes' ability to fix a problem in one shot.

Meanwhile, I like their unique tribute to their history with their one off livery.
                      And the new chassis is also lighter. While everyone brought their improvements early, Merc stayed on schedule, all the while winning. This is, finally, their major update.

Comment

Kvyat podium!
                        https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
                        https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                        NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                        Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

For sure, opposite weekend. Seb has a nothing day on Saturday, and finishes second on Sunday; Lewis takes pole on Saturday and has a race to forget on Sunday.

Crazy what changing weather brings for stirring things up.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                            For sure, opposite weekend. Seb has a nothing day on Saturday, and finishes second on Sunday; Lewis takes pole on Saturday and has a race to forget on Sunday.

Crazy what changing weather brings for stirring things up.
                            Amen!.
                            Lots of talk about Kvyat replacing Gasly at the break.

Tons of open wheel racing in the US this weekend as well. Big Ff shindig at Indy. Historics at Portland, NJ, and Waterford Hills. plus Indycar at mid ohio. Which is my favorite track.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                              Kvyat podium!
                              Heck, Stroll almost won the race! The whole thing was nuts.
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

Mick driving Dad's F2004 in the wet at Hockenheim.

https://youtu.be/XaFD1lwXNuM
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X