Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    Ignoring the problem with the tire wear- I'm really not sure of that. As I saw the lap segments, if Hamilton could have passed in the first sector, it seems possible that he could have gotten enough time on LeCerc so that he would not be in DRS range before Parabolica. Especially medium vs. hard tires. And had he got by early, perhaps he could have preserved his tires... maybe.

But that was Mercedes only real strategy for the race.
    Here's another one I don't get. At the beginning of the year Williams says they lack downforce, now they have too much drag. So which is it, Too much downforce or not enough?
    Last edited by manurespreader; 09-28-2019, 09:35 PM.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      Here's another one I don't get. At the beginning of the year Willimas says they lack downforce, now they have too much drag. So which is it, Too much downforce or not enough?
      Both- you can get very inefficient downforce that causes more drag than downforce. They can't get it high enough to go around the twisty bits, and even that is so inefficient that it is big drag.

Comment

Odd news of the day- Haas is keeping their drivers for 2020- https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...Ls2Z2Z6qP.html

Comment

Odd news of the day- Haas is keeping their drivers for 2020- https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...Ls2Z2Z6qP.html
          Yeah, I can't figure that out.

The only thing I can think of is they couldn't work out a deal with Hulkenberg. Anyone else wouldn't be worth getting considering the car has been more of a problem than the drivers, so you better have experienced drivers to help sort out the car, and thus Grosjean and Magnussen are the best options out there right now.

Also read Kubica will not be returning to Williams. I expect Nicholas Latifi to buy ... ummm ... "get" that seat.

That essentially only leaves the question of whether Giovinazzi returns or not. That seat is essentially a Ferrari seat, so it all depends what they want to do with it. He would be the only Italian in their lineup, so maybe he gets a reprieve. Ferrari has no one in their academy capable of moving up (and yes, that includes Mick Schumacher).

Oh, and of course the Red Bull/Toro Rosso lineups for next year.
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

https://racer.com/2019/09/19/revival...5CEXWjLybfRBbM

Comment

• Good heavens. Just when you thought Ferrari couldn’t find a new way to grab defeat from the jaws of victory, they manage to find it.

At least it added some interest to the race. Please move this race to St. Petersburg. I have no idea what the track will be like, but it’s got to be better than Sochi.
              Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                Good heavens. Just when you thought Ferrari couldn’t find a new way to grab defeat from the jaws of victory, they manage to find it.

At least it added some interest to the race. Please move this race to St. Petersburg. I have no idea what the track will be like, but it’s got to be better than Sochi.
                Amen!

Comment

Since this is an open wheel racing thread in general- there's a new open wheel racing down under, which is kind of a modern F5000- https://www.s5000.com.au/

They use an existing chassis, a crate Coyote 5.0l, some modification, and done. There's a youtube channel for it, so if you want to check the videos out- they look interesting. And they had the first race this past weekend.

Comment

F1 news- Thanks to a typhoon, all of Saturday's F1 events have been canceled. Qualifying will be held Sunday morning.

Comment

Thanks to a very, very bad start for Seb and a collision by LeClerc, Mercedes wrapped up both the constructors and drivers's WC's yesterday. Now we see if Hamilton can fully wrap up his 6th.

Comment

Pato O’Ward released by Red Bull and he appears to be a front runner for a seat at McLaren Indycar.
                        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Some updates- Toro Rosso will change their name to Alpha Tauri- the fashion arm of Red Bull.

And Renault was removed from the results of the Japanese Grand Prix for illegal brakes.

Comment

Some updates- Toro Rosso will change their name to Alpha Tauri- the fashion arm of Red Bull.
                            I don't think this is a sure thing yet. In fact, the last I read, they are having second thoughts about the rename.

And Renault was removed from the results of the Japanese Grand Prix for illegal brakes.
                            They are lucky they weren't disqualified from the entire season.
                            Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                              I don't think this is a sure thing yet. In fact, the last I read, they are having second thoughts about the rename.

They are lucky they weren't disqualified from the entire season.
                              They, of course, say they did nothing wrong. I think Riccardo must be second-guessing his choice of last year.

I was hoping that at some point in the year Williams would be competitive but honestly, I think they are further away than they were a month ago and now it comes out that they have brake problems which mean the drivers are hesitant to brake as deeply as they might otherwise. And in F1 the brakes are a lot of the reason the cars are so fast. I believe the average deceleration rates are over 3 G's.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                                They, of course, say they did nothing wrong. I think Riccardo must be second-guessing his choice of last year.

I was hoping that at some point in the year Williams would be competitive but honestly, I think they are further away than they were a month ago and now it comes out that they have brake problems which mean the drivers are hesitant to brake as deeply as they might otherwise. And in F1 the brakes are a lot of the reason the cars are so fast. I believe the average deceleration rates are over 3 G's.
                                It is helpful to Williams that Haas is backing into their performance window.... which is really sad considering how they started the season.

Comment

Working...
                                X