Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

This aeroscreen will be a game changer for INDYCAR I think.
    https://www.indycar.com/News/2019/05...l-announcement

There certainly will be more crossover interest I think.

Just a boring user.

Reminds me of some of the 70ís Indy cars.

Monaco thru the ages thru the lens of McLaren

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/herit...naco-memories/

To call the Ferrari braintrust imbeciles would actually be a compliment. Thatís how bad itís gotten.

Still upright

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    To call the Ferrari braintrust imbeciles would actually be a compliment. Thatís how bad itís gotten.
    It sure would be and for Ferrari to lecture journalists about strategy at a meeting called for the purpose! insane.

Also, Alfa is coming apart as well. I wonder what the deal is there.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Just a boring user.

Makes you think itís possible for Williams to pass Alfa by the end of the season.

Still upright

I don't care who you are or what your background is, when you spin a car coming in to the pits, the owner will be unhappy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    I don't care who you are or what your background is, when you spin a car coming in to the pits, the owner will be unhappy about it.
    Probably Helioís last INDYCAR race.

Holding court

Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    Probably Helio’s last INDYCAR race.
    Helio has had his fair share of brainfarts but this situation was all on James Davison missing his pit box and going well below pit speed limit.

The one-offs and rookies continue to ruin the Indy 500 for the veterans. Ericsson's lock up and crash into the pits causing the yellow flag totally ruined an absolutely brilliant fuel run by Dixon. He absolutely would have been a factor in the end (Rahal/Bourdais incident probably would have not happened) and now he's 40+ points out of the championship lead.

It was an amazing few seconds that flipped this race, as Rossi had his massive problem in the pits and opened the door for Dixon's strategy to work, and then seconds later Ericsson barfed at pit-in and it was game over for Dixon, getting caught out on the yellow and then being behind the Rahal/Bourdais incident and getting damage which sent him further back.

The pit issues in this race for many drivers were quite frankly unbelievable. Will Power had a terrific mess on his hands as well, hitting one of his crew and running over a hose.

Jay Howard almost killed Dixon two years ago. Ericsson (rookie) made a mess of the race this year. Davison also a factor this year. Oriol Servia blocking Rossi a lap down. Are you kidding me? How will Indycar address these issues in future 500s before someone gets killed? I know some one-offs do well (Daly!) and some veterans also get into trouble to be fair but... it does seem there is an issue that needs to be addressed here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Helio has had his fair share of brainfarts but this situation was all on James Davison missing his pit box and going well below pit speed limit.

The one-offs and rookies continue to ruin the Indy 500 for the veterans. Ericsson's lock up and crash into the pits causing the yellow flag totally ruined an absolutely brilliant fuel run by Dixon. He absolutely would have been a factor in the end (Rahal/Bourdais incident probably would have not happened) and now he's 40+ points out of the championship lead.

It was an amazing few seconds that flipped this race, as Rossi had his massive problem in the pits and opened the door for Dixon's strategy to work, and then seconds later Ericsson barfed at pit-in and it was game over for Dixon, getting caught out on the yellow and then being behind the Rahal/Bourdais incident and getting damage which sent him further back.

The pit issues in this race for many drivers were quite frankly unbelievable. Will Power had a terrific mess on his hands as well, hitting one of his crew and running over a hose.

Jay Howard almost killed Dixon two years ago. Ericsson (rookie) made a mess of the race this year. Davison also a factor this year. Oriol Servia blocking Rossi a lap down. Are you kidding me? How will Indycar address these issues in future 500s before someone gets killed? I know some one-offs do well (Daly!) and some veterans also get into trouble to be fair but... it does seem there is an issue that needs to be addressed here.
    Yes, the inexperienced drivers or just plain bad drivers will end up killing someone.
    I believe thatís What led to Wheldonís accident. Too many newbies or **** drivers in front of him.

And speaking of the danger, I think Indy needs to mandate drivers stop heading toward the inside of the pit wall on the front straight. Thatís a disaster waiting to happen where a car flips up over the pit wall and fatally injured njures several people.

Just a boring user.

I know the subject isn't open wheel racing, but I suspect that this movie will be welcomed by this thread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkUEjI2dB7g

Still upright

Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    I know the subject isn't open wheel racing, but I suspect that this movie will be welcomed by this thread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkUEjI2dB7g
    looks good! I've been quite some time in Italy and on my facebook feed the trailer is coming across in Italian.
    also watch for " the art of racing in the rain", The book is worth a read.

also:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3umepZpAPN4
    Last edited by manurespreader; 06-03-2019 at 06:27 PM.

A simpler time with legends behind the wheel under dangerous conditions

https://youtu.be/V6cm3eWEHM0

Still upright

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post

Did you notice that in those clips the drivers' head were essentially the same height as the top of the roll bar. ?

There has been many changes since then, but at least safety has improved and not so many guys get killed.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post

Those cars are so gorgeous.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    Did you notice that in those clips the drivers' head were essentially the same height as the top of the roll bar. ?

There has been many changes since then, but at least safety has improved and not so many guys get killed.
    Or the track fencing. Or the helmets.

The Captain is chasing Rossi.

If he goes to Penske that would be awful for INDYCAR.

Although, I would assume Andretti would move Colton Herta over and possibly look at Pato Oíward.

Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    The Captain is chasing Rossi.

If he goes to Penske that would be awful for INDYCAR.

Although, I would assume Andretti would move Colton Herta over and possibly look at Pato O’ward.
    Who would Penske push aside? I'll be surprised if he changed his mind about adding another car. And once Pagenaud won Indy, his ride is safe.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    Who would Penske push aside? I'll be surprised if he changed his mind about adding another car. And once Pagenaud won Indy, his ride is safe.
    He wouldnít push anyone out. Itís Cindric that doesnít Want 4 cars but the Captain covets Rossi. Hopefully he stays with Andretti but Penskeís $ is huge.

Holding court

This Rossi stuff is going to be interesting.

Would be terrible for both Indycar and Andretti Autosport to lose him to Penske. With Rossi in his prime AA has inserted itself into the Penske/Chip battle. Which has been great for Indycar.

Speaking of Chip, he wants him too but we'll see how that goes. NAPA is going to have a say in things as well and Honda... you wonder if that helps get Chip into the conversation given the Penske relationship with Chevy. Meanwhile, Dixon is aging. Rosenquist has had an interesting year with some solid wreckage which Chip hates. Rossi could breathe life into CGR for a good while. Penske isn't going anywhere with Newgarden in that stable for a long time.

There's a lot of talent in the series but true elite young talent that is can't-miss... it's few and far between for now. Newgard and Rossi. 3 teams. One will be left out. Absolutely cannot have Roger own both. Herta looking like he can and will be in that category but I'm not comfortable putting him there yet (and my God do I hate everything about this Harding/Steinbrenner team).
    Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 06-25-2019 at 03:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Thread Information