Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Results 361 to 380 of 403

Thread: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

  1. #361
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    6,502

    Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

    This aeroscreen will be a game changer for INDYCAR I think.
    https://www.indycar.com/News/2019/05...l-announcement

    There certainly will be more crossover interest I think.

  2. #362
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    10,478

    Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

    Reminds me of some of the 70ís Indy cars.

  3. #363

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    38,013

    Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

    Monaco thru the ages thru the lens of McLaren

    https://www.mclaren.com/racing/herit...naco-memories/

  4. #364
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    5,700

    Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

    To call the Ferrari braintrust imbeciles would actually be a compliment. Thatís how bad itís gotten.

  5. #365
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    6,773

    Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    To call the Ferrari braintrust imbeciles would actually be a compliment. Thatís how bad itís gotten.
    It sure would be and for Ferrari to lecture journalists about strategy at a meeting called for the purpose! insane.

    Also, Alfa is coming apart as well. I wonder what the deal is there.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  6. #366
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    10,478

    Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

    Makes you think itís possible for Williams to pass Alfa by the end of the season.

  7. #367
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    6,773

    Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

    I don't care who you are or what your background is, when you spin a car coming in to the pits, the owner will be unhappy about it.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  8. #368
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    6,502
    Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    I don't care who you are or what your background is, when you spin a car coming in to the pits, the owner will be unhappy about it.
    Probably Helioís last INDYCAR race.

  9. #369
    Holding court
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    HOTel cORAL esSEX
    Posts
    5,889

    Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

    Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    Probably Helio’s last INDYCAR race.
    Helio has had his fair share of brainfarts but this situation was all on James Davison missing his pit box and going well below pit speed limit.

    The one-offs and rookies continue to ruin the Indy 500 for the veterans. Ericsson's lock up and crash into the pits causing the yellow flag totally ruined an absolutely brilliant fuel run by Dixon. He absolutely would have been a factor in the end (Rahal/Bourdais incident probably would have not happened) and now he's 40+ points out of the championship lead.

    It was an amazing few seconds that flipped this race, as Rossi had his massive problem in the pits and opened the door for Dixon's strategy to work, and then seconds later Ericsson barfed at pit-in and it was game over for Dixon, getting caught out on the yellow and then being behind the Rahal/Bourdais incident and getting damage which sent him further back.

    The pit issues in this race for many drivers were quite frankly unbelievable. Will Power had a terrific mess on his hands as well, hitting one of his crew and running over a hose.

    Jay Howard almost killed Dixon two years ago. Ericsson (rookie) made a mess of the race this year. Davison also a factor this year. Oriol Servia blocking Rossi a lap down. Are you kidding me? How will Indycar address these issues in future 500s before someone gets killed? I know some one-offs do well (Daly!) and some veterans also get into trouble to be fair but... it does seem there is an issue that needs to be addressed here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

  10. #370
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    6,502
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Helio has had his fair share of brainfarts but this situation was all on James Davison missing his pit box and going well below pit speed limit.

    The one-offs and rookies continue to ruin the Indy 500 for the veterans. Ericsson's lock up and crash into the pits causing the yellow flag totally ruined an absolutely brilliant fuel run by Dixon. He absolutely would have been a factor in the end (Rahal/Bourdais incident probably would have not happened) and now he's 40+ points out of the championship lead.

    It was an amazing few seconds that flipped this race, as Rossi had his massive problem in the pits and opened the door for Dixon's strategy to work, and then seconds later Ericsson barfed at pit-in and it was game over for Dixon, getting caught out on the yellow and then being behind the Rahal/Bourdais incident and getting damage which sent him further back.

    The pit issues in this race for many drivers were quite frankly unbelievable. Will Power had a terrific mess on his hands as well, hitting one of his crew and running over a hose.

    Jay Howard almost killed Dixon two years ago. Ericsson (rookie) made a mess of the race this year. Davison also a factor this year. Oriol Servia blocking Rossi a lap down. Are you kidding me? How will Indycar address these issues in future 500s before someone gets killed? I know some one-offs do well (Daly!) and some veterans also get into trouble to be fair but... it does seem there is an issue that needs to be addressed here.
    Yes, the inexperienced drivers or just plain bad drivers will end up killing someone.
    I believe thatís What led to Wheldonís accident. Too many newbies or **** drivers in front of him.

    And speaking of the danger, I think Indy needs to mandate drivers stop heading toward the inside of the pit wall on the front straight. Thatís a disaster waiting to happen where a car flips up over the pit wall and fatally injured njures several people.

  11. #371
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    10,478

    Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

    I know the subject isn't open wheel racing, but I suspect that this movie will be welcomed by this thread...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkUEjI2dB7g

  12. #372
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    6,773

    Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    I know the subject isn't open wheel racing, but I suspect that this movie will be welcomed by this thread...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkUEjI2dB7g
    looks good! I've been quite some time in Italy and on my facebook feed the trailer is coming across in Italian.
    also watch for " the art of racing in the rain", The book is worth a read.

    also:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3umepZpAPN4
    Last edited by manurespreader; 06-03-2019 at 06:27 PM.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  13. #373

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    38,013

    Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

    A simpler time with legends behind the wheel under dangerous conditions

    https://youtu.be/V6cm3eWEHM0

  14. #374
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    6,773

    Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    A simpler time with legends behind the wheel under dangerous conditions

    https://youtu.be/V6cm3eWEHM0
    Did you notice that in those clips the drivers' head were essentially the same height as the top of the roll bar. ?

    There has been many changes since then, but at least safety has improved and not so many guys get killed.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  15. #375

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    65,253

    Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    A simpler time with legends behind the wheel under dangerous conditions

    https://youtu.be/V6cm3eWEHM0
    Those cars are so gorgeous.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  16. #376
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    19,041
    Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    Did you notice that in those clips the drivers' head were essentially the same height as the top of the roll bar. ?

    There has been many changes since then, but at least safety has improved and not so many guys get killed.
    Or the track fencing. Or the helmets.

  17. #377
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    6,502

    Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

    The Captain is chasing Rossi.

    If he goes to Penske that would be awful for INDYCAR.

    Although, I would assume Andretti would move Colton Herta over and possibly look at Pato Oíward.

  18. #378
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    5,700

    Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

    Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    The Captain is chasing Rossi.

    If he goes to Penske that would be awful for INDYCAR.

    Although, I would assume Andretti would move Colton Herta over and possibly look at Pato O’ward.
    Who would Penske push aside? I'll be surprised if he changed his mind about adding another car. And once Pagenaud won Indy, his ride is safe.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

  19. #379
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    6,502
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    Who would Penske push aside? I'll be surprised if he changed his mind about adding another car. And once Pagenaud won Indy, his ride is safe.
    He wouldnít push anyone out. Itís Cindric that doesnít Want 4 cars but the Captain covets Rossi. Hopefully he stays with Andretti but Penskeís $ is huge.

  20. #380
    Holding court
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    HOTel cORAL esSEX
    Posts
    5,889

    Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

    This Rossi stuff is going to be interesting.

    Would be terrible for both Indycar and Andretti Autosport to lose him to Penske. With Rossi in his prime AA has inserted itself into the Penske/Chip battle. Which has been great for Indycar.

    Speaking of Chip, he wants him too but we'll see how that goes. NAPA is going to have a say in things as well and Honda... you wonder if that helps get Chip into the conversation given the Penske relationship with Chevy. Meanwhile, Dixon is aging. Rosenquist has had an interesting year with some solid wreckage which Chip hates. Rossi could breathe life into CGR for a good while. Penske isn't going anywhere with Newgarden in that stable for a long time.

    There's a lot of talent in the series but true elite young talent that is can't-miss... it's few and far between for now. Newgard and Rossi. 3 teams. One will be left out. Absolutely cannot have Roger own both. Herta looking like he can and will be in that category but I'm not comfortable putting him there yet (and my God do I hate everything about this Harding/Steinbrenner team).
    Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 06-25-2019 at 03:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •