Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    NOT true. Norris is only running FP1 in Alonso's car. Not the entire weekend. Alonso will be back in the car for FP2 onwards
    Yes you are correct, sorry, I must have misread the item.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I’m worried Wickens is paralyzed
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
        I’m worried Wickens is paralyzed
        From the latest racer.com update: “The severity of the spinal cord injury is indeterminate at this time."

That has me very worried now.
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

I think the doctors are aware of the extent of Wickens injuries but for reasons unknown they are not divulging the info.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

I think the doctors are aware of the extent of Wickens injuries but for reasons unknown they are not divulging the info.
            The Indianapolis Star had an article where they said the rods and screws were installed to stabilize the situation. I dont know if that's a good sign or not. They said the surgery went as expected. Also don't know much from that either.

Comment

After Wheldon I wasn’t sure what was a smart course for INDYCAR. Now after Wickens I think it’s safe to say INDYCAR has two choices ahead:

1 - all ovals save for Indy must be one mile or less

2 - open the rules so the cars aren’t covered by a blanket. A guy may win by 24 seconds but...

These cars are too close together to race superspeedways imo

Alonso would be smart to say he’ll only race road/street courses if he comes

Also IF INDYCAR retains superspeedways thensafer barriers must be built 20 feet into the air. Catch fences are a terrible idea. They chew up cars, Wheldon, Wickens, Krosnoff and more...

Comment

Because the doctors can't without the explicit permission of the patient and family. HIPAA laws prevent the doctors from divulging anything the patient doesn't want them to.
                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Also IF INDYCAR retains superspeedways thensafer barriers must be built 20 feet into the air. Catch fences are a terrible idea. They chew up cars, Wheldon, Wickens, Krosnoff and more...
                  Tony Renna.
                  Russell Jaslow

Comment

After Wheldon I wasn’t sure what was a smart course for INDYCAR. Now after Wickens I think it’s safe to say INDYCAR has two choices ahead:

1 - all ovals save for Indy must be one mile or less

2 - open the rules so the cars aren’t covered by a blanket. A guy may win by 24 seconds but...

These cars are too close together to race superspeedways imo

Alonso would be smart to say he’ll only race road/street courses if he comes

I'm confused by your assertion that the cars are too close- that accident happened during the 2nd attempt to start the race, which means the cars are quite close together- there's no way around those instances. After that, they were never close, other than passing each other. IMHO, your post is more reactionary to that specific accident rather than what is going on for the rest of the race. The rest of the race was safe and fast, just like they are on most speedways. And the rules that put superspeedway aero for the short track was a great idea- really put the set up and the impact on the tires very much into play.

The catch fence part, that's spot on- they need to find a better solution than that. One that will absorb the car, tear it up *some* to absorb energy, but not get caught in the netting so that it rips the car apart in big chunks.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                      I'm confused by your assertion that the cars are too close- that accident happened during the 2nd attempt to start the race, which means the cars are quite close together- there's no way around those instances. After that, they were never close, other than passing each other. IMHO, your post is more reactionary to that specific accident rather than what is going on for the rest of the race. The rest of the race was safe and fast, just like they are on most speedways. And the rules that put superspeedway aero for the short track was a great idea- really put the set up and the impact on the tires very much into play.

The catch fence part, that's spot on- they need to find a better solution than that. One that will absorb the car, tear it up *some* to absorb energy, but not get caught in the netting so that it rips the car apart in big chunks.
                      It’s definitely reactionary. I missed the race so I only caught the accident.
                      I’m very worried about Wickens. He was a clear star consistently outperforming Hinchcliffe. We’ve seen several instances where guys got lucky to walk away.

Beyond that i’m worried About the perception of the sport. Jeff Gordon wouldn’t race Indy because of memories of Greg Moore. Lewis Hamilton won’t ever race here or consider it due to Dan Wheldon. Alonso?

INDYCAR is viewed as incredibly dangerous and maybe that was ok from inception to the early 90’s, drivers accepted it, fans accepted it. Al Unser Jr., once said of injuries or the specter of dying in the car “it’s the nature of the beast”...

I think catch fencing should go and also superspeedways. Take away the ability to get thrown into fence at 220.

Just a couple quick thoughts.

Comment

It’s definitely reactionary. I missed the race so I only caught the accident.
                        I’m very worried about Wickens. He was a clear star consistently outperforming Hinchcliffe. We’ve seen several instances where guys got lucky to walk away.

Beyond that i’m worried About the perception of the sport. Jeff Gordon wouldn’t race Indy because of memories of Greg Moore. Lewis Hamilton won’t ever race here or consider it due to Dan Wheldon. Alonso?

INDYCAR is viewed as incredibly dangerous and maybe that was ok from inception to the early 90’s, drivers accepted it, fans accepted it. Al Unser Jr., once said of injuries or the specter of dying in the car “it’s the nature of the beast”...

I think catch fencing should go and also superspeedways. Take away the ability to get thrown into fence at 220.

Just a couple quick thoughts.
                        IMHO, the other drivers are deluding themselves that they are somehow safer. We have seen cars get thrown in the air in F1, so this can easily happen. We've also seen accidents in F1 that would never have occurred in Indycar- such as Jules. Or when corner workers are injured because of the lack of SC times. And we've also seen the alternate ways that drivers get injured and killed in closed cars. Nothing is safe in any motorsports, and decades of injuries and sometimes death very much illustrate that.

Death has happened in spectacular accidents and ones that look very simple. And drivers have walked away from crashes that look like they could have been killed. Regardless of what series they are in. So drivers get comfortable in the series they are in, and look with disdain onto other series. As I see it, that's the reality.

And it is the nature of the beast.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          IMHO, the other drivers are deluding themselves that they are somehow safer. We have seen cars get thrown in the air in F1, so this can easily happen. We've also seen accidents in F1 that would never have occurred in Indycar- such as Jules. Or when corner workers are injured because of the lack of SC times. And we've also seen the alternate ways that drivers get injured and killed in closed cars. Nothing is safe in any motorsports, and decades of injuries and sometimes death very much illustrate that.

Death has happened in spectacular accidents and ones that look very simple. And drivers have walked away from crashes that look like they could have been killed. Regardless of what series they are in. So drivers get comfortable in the series they are in, and look with disdain onto other series. As I see it, that's the reality.

And it is the nature of the beast.
                          You’re slowly talking me off the ledge re Indy 😎

Comment

You’re slowly talking me off the ledge re Indy 😎
                            https://www.autosport.com/indycar/ne...safety-changes

Comment

• I agree on raising safer barriers for sure. Do it all the way around the tracks and remove rows of seats if they’re obstructed
                              Last edited by solovsfett; 08-22-2018, 11:37 AM.

Comment

I agree on raise no safer barriers for sure. Do it all the way around the tracks and remove rows of seats if they’re obstructed
                                It's not as if you are going to lose any fans- even at NASCAR races, the stands can be made smaller.

Comment

Working...
                                X