Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    The cars are fast and supported by big money but... they don't last an entire race, so the driver has to come in and change cars part way through. Otherwise good racing. I believe SCCA is sponsoring a Formula E series in the US but I don't know much about it.
    They are no longer changing cars this year. The technology has gotten to the point where the batteries will last an entire race. Interestingly, someone pointed out that this means the tires may not last...

SCCA is the sanctioning body, not sponsor, for the US FE race in Brooklyn. Just like the local FIA approved racing group is the sanctioning body for their country's respective FE race. This is the way it used to work with F1.
    Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 12-12-2018, 12:16 PM.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      They are no longer changing cars this year. The technology has gotten to the point where the batteries will last an entire race. Interestingly, someone pointed out that this means the tires may not last...

SCCA is the sanctioning body, not sponsor, for the US FE race in Brooklyn. Just like the local FIA approved racing group is the sanctioning body for their country's respective FE race. This is the way it used to work with F1.
      It helps that they are not changing cars.

But the tracks I've seen them on suck pretty badly. Maybe I'll check into Mexico City, since it's a real track.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        It helps that they are not changing cars.

But the tracks I've seen them on suck pretty badly. Maybe I'll check into Mexico City, since it's a real track.
        Even when they use a "real" track, they cut it short. The cars can't handle all out long straightaway running. Heck, even Monaco gets cut short. So did Long Beach when they ran there. So, it's still "suck pretty badly."
        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Anyone have any comments on Formula E?. The season starts this week.
          Well, this guy's not a fan...

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...ener-live-hype
          Russell Jaslow

Comment

Good news, I hope.

http://theliberal.ie/michael-schumac...ces-condition/
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

https://www.ayrtonsenna.com.br/en/te...onsennapenske/
              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

I'm super pumped for the 2019 season. It looks like Marcus Erickson will be extremely fast for SPR and there is finally more money coming into Indycar even though Verizon has left. I think there is more fan interest this year than in the past and it will be an exciting season.
                In F1 I'm picking Renault to be the surprise of the year and I would not be surprised if they surpass Red Bull, making the races a lot more fun to watch. I'm also hoping Williams is more competitive.

As far as SCCA, they continue to shoot themselves in the foot and FRP/USAC are close to( already have) stealing a lot of the open wheel cars away from them. At the 50th Formula Ford reunion at Road America there are 200 cars registered already for a September event and a waiting list. ( This is a spectator event as part of a larger VSCDA race meeting) Registrations are running 4 cars with treaded tires to 1 car on slicks, which says a lot! The action in amateur racing in the US is definitely in Vintage events.
                The first race meets of the year have already happened on the west coast (in the pouring rain.)
                And Finally Robert Wickens continues to make progress in recovery from the Pocono crash.
                Last edited by manurespreader; 02-12-2019, 02:57 PM.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

The introductions to the new cars are, so far, showing different ideas on how to solve the same thing. Subtle- nothing one can really tell on TV- but different, for sure. It will be interesting to see the cars at winter testing.

Of note- I sure hope Rich Energy does not bring down Haas.

Comment

A full look at a 2019 car. I especially note the numerous small details at the back.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKiyUr7kG-g

Comment

Anyone see the Alfa Romeo (aka Sauber) front wing? Interesting idea...

Comment

So day 1 of 8 test days and Williams is a no show. And they will also no show tomorrow and maybe half of wednesday.

Seriously, they have a budget of 150 million dollars, they have hundreds of employees and they can't get it done? All they said last year was, we are going to focus on next year.. Well it's next year now guys. Not only that, rumours from the factory are that the car is 2 seconds slower than last years horrendous car. Two years ago they hired a new Technical director from Mercedes. They pay him big bucks. Lot of good it did.
                        I feel for Claire Williams having to go out and say to people well, no it won't be today, Or tomorrow or maybe even weds morning. Maybe Weds afternoon.
                        Sad state of affairs.

Comment

So day 1 of 8 test days and Williams is a no show. And they will also no show tomorrow and maybe half of wednesday.

Seriously, they have a budget of 150 million dollars, they have hundreds of employees and they can't get it done? All they said last year was, we are going to focus on next year.. Well it's next year now guys. Not only that, rumours from the factory are that the car is 2 seconds slower than last years horrendous car. Two years ago they hired a new Technical director from Mercedes. They pay him big bucks. Lot of good it did.
                          I feel for Claire Williams having to go out and say to people well, no it won't be today, Or tomorrow or maybe even weds morning. Maybe Weds afternoon.
                          Sad state of affairs.
                          To be fair, Ferrari expected similar drop off in speeds. Maybe not 2 whole seconds, but considerably slower.

I'm no Ferrari fan- but well done running an endurance race today. I wonder how many laps Charles will get tomorrow.

Comment

Right now it's a crap shoot who is fastest in F1. Top teams are not showing what they can really do, and Mercedes methodology is top notch. I really like how they go about it.
                            Having said that, I think this year will be extremely competitive with any number of midfield teams getting points and podiums.
                            Hamilton came out today and said that the mods to the wings, which were meant to make it easier to pass, have made no difference at all thus far.
                            And the Alpha seems to be very quick.

Comment

Anyone have any comments on Formula E?. The season starts this week.
                              I've been watching FE so far this year and it's been pretty fun. 4 races done, 4 different winners.

The end to last week's race was mental, 3 of the top 4 ran out of energy on the last lap
                              https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
                              https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                              NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                              Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

After the first week of testing it's apparent that Ferrari has a leg up on everyone. Renault is doing quite well and will challenge for podiums and Mercedes has a serious problem wiht front grip. Now up to now, Mercedes solved their front grip problems by upping the front wings effect, but this year, with the new rules, they haven't been able to do that and they are now having understeer problems. We'll see how they solve it. All of the other teams have gone over to more rake in the cars except them. They have resisted because all that rake messes up the rear roll centers, but they may be forced into it.

Comment

Working...
                                X