Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    Congratulations to Trent Frederic for embarking on his pro career. Sorry to see him go, seems like we were just getting to know him and he's gone. Such is college hockey life since the CBA changed. So long and thanks for all the goals, Freddy. Always a Badger.

At this point I think Mersch, Messner, and Ranta are the only NLI signed F's we're certain about. I'd venture Peltonen is almost certainly not coming in. Caufield may seem likely, but I wonder... Frederic was on as close to a full ride as you can get and Caufield probably isn't slated for the same money so you could put him off and bring him in with his brother next year. Other options would be any of a couple of high scoring Euro's, or Mathieu De St. Phalle, a bigger playmaker, is playing top line wing for Omaha, '99 born Roman Ahcan is playing 2nd line wing for Cedar Rapids, Jack Gorniak out of West Salem has been ranked in the 50's by Central Scouting, and Ben Almquist, another '99 who had 56 points in 25 games for Holy Family Catholic could all possibly accelerate.

A problem next year is now we're short of Centers. Malone, Baker, and Zirbel are the only natural centers coming back and the 3 freshman F's are all wings. Top 6 is maybe Ranta -Malone -Weissbach and Zimmer -Baker-Johnson. I liked how Freytag and Zimmer came on toward the end of the year, Dhooghe's a question mark, could play anywhere top to bottom. Mersch can score goals so I wouldn't be surprised to see him anywhere either. Messner would make a good 3rd line wing, too. It's going to be interesting... Spring signing is in the second week of April I think.
    So you think both the Peltonen's aren't coming? Todd M hadn't heard anything as of a few weeks back. Short on forwards, particularly centers, and log jam at defense.

Zirbel looked good, I thought, in the limited action he saw this year. Always bringing energy.
    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
      **** the Bruins. I've hated them for a long time.
      I second that motion. Thankfully there are no ex-Badgers on that team. That would be tragic. Thankfully the b-hawks don't have any anymore. Now if only the Wild would be cleansed.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        I second that motion. Thankfully there are no ex-Badgers on that team. That would be tragic. Thankfully the b-hawks don't have any anymore. Now if only the Wild would be cleansed.
        Suter isn't going anywhere for a long time. #LGW

Comment

Looking at a Tweet from Todd, it looks like the Badger hockey team could be bumped to play playoffs at the Coliseum in the future. This is a bunch of ****. This is so 70's and 80ish. Bump hockey, kiss everybody else's asses.

@ToddMilewski
          I got some clarification on how the WIAA boys basketball tournament could impact @BadgerMHockey in future years if it hosts playoffs:
          2019: Tourney during B1G semifinals and UW would play on Sunday
          2020-22: Tourney during B1G championship and UW would play at Coliseum*
          *The asterisk is there because the NCAA has been asked to consider allowing Sunday conference championship games, which could allow UW to play at the Kohl Center. I haven't heard an update on where that is in the NCAA process. ESPN had to be considered because of selection show.
          "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

WIAA and UW extended their HS championships agreement through 2025 this morning, meaning that if the B10 tourney format stays the same, the Badgers will not be able to host a championship (if they earn one) on their home ice for that same timeframe since basketball lands the same weekend of the B10 finals. I get that the Colosseum holds nostalgia for the program, but boy will it suck if we get to the point where we earn home ice in a tournament final and have to play that game in a facility that is neither our home, nor one that actually has regular, well-conditioned ice anymore. (Also, this means that with La Bahn excluded from Frozen Four hosting eligibility due to its short-sighted three-sided 2,250 capacity, the Badger Women also will continue to be unable to host a national championship final at the Kohl Center, either.)

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/h...4da4ac241.html

Comment

Stinks for the hockey programs, but clearly the money is much better with the WIAA and that's why they'd go that way with it.
              Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

I, of course, will always love the Coli and have thought it would be cool to play a nostalgia game there every year, maybe at the holiday break or to kick off the year, something just to keep the old traditions alive.

I realize I'm probably far in the minority there and most fans value a comfortable seat over nostalgia by a good deal anyway, which is all fine with me. Having said that though, playing a championship game there would just completely suck. Not that I think there's anything to be worried about next year.
                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                Originally posted by Timothy A
                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Looking at a Tweet from Todd, it looks like the Badger hockey team could be bumped to play playoffs at the Coliseum in the future. This is a bunch of ****. This is so 70's and 80ish. Bump hockey, kiss everybody else's asses.

@ToddMilewski
                  I got some clarification on how the WIAA boys basketball tournament could impact @BadgerMHockey in future years if it hosts playoffs:
                  2019: Tourney during B1G semifinals and UW would play on Sunday
                  2020-22: Tourney during B1G championship and UW would play at Coliseum*
                  *The asterisk is there because the NCAA has been asked to consider allowing Sunday conference championship games, which could allow UW to play at the Kohl Center. I haven't heard an update on where that is in the NCAA process. ESPN had to be considered because of selection show.
                  This is horse****. How the hell does an NCAA team get moved in favor of a high school sport? This ****es me off beyond belief.

They would NEVER pull this garbage with the precious big 2 sports.

Is Alvarez responsible? Cause someone is getting a piece of my mind

I'll take the occasion to talk banners, fans bringing signs and BLC while I'm at it.
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

When the Badgers were still at the Coliseum, there was a conflict almost every year with farm shows, cars shows etc. The Kohl Center is a UW facility. UW SHOULD come first. It was understandable because the Coliseum is a county facility, but at the time, Badger hockey was king. Who remembers the Badgers being bumped from the Coliseum to play at Hartmeyer? I do, I was there.
                    Last edited by MadCityRich; 03-14-2018, 11:58 AM.

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

I, of course, will always love the Coli and have thought it would be cool to play a nostalgia game there every year, maybe at the holiday break or to kick off the year, something just to keep the old traditions alive.

I realize I'm probably far in the minority there and most fans value a comfortable seat over nostalgia by a good deal anyway, which is all fine with me. Having said that though, playing a championship game there would just completely suck. Not that I think there's anything to be worried about next year.
                      Not to mention it only holds 8600 for hockey compared to 15,000 for the Kohl.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                        This is horse****. How the hell does an NCAA team get moved in favor of a high school sport? This ****es me off beyond belief.

They would NEVER pull this garbage with the precious big 2 sports.

Is Alvarez responsible? Cause someone is getting a piece of my mind

I'll take the occasion to talk banners, fans bringing signs and BLC while I'm at it.
                        Be prepared to have to explain to Barry that Wisconsin has a hockey program before you start your rant.

Comment

Originally posted by sunprairie View Post
                          Be prepared to have to explain to Barry that Wisconsin has a hockey program before you start your rant.
                          No ****ing ****. We had to remind him before he hired G2O.

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                            Stinks for the hockey programs, but clearly the money is much better with the WIAA and that's why they'd go that way with it.
                            Money, economic impact, plus they showcase UW to tens of thousands of people and prospective students every year. That's a big deal to the University. Having the little McBadgerton going through the college selection process right now reminds one of how much $$ Universities spend on recruiting students and how relentless they are about it. I hose down my my bushes out front every morning in case school reps are hiding there.
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Not to mention it only holds 8600 for hockey compared to 15,000 for the Kohl.
                              Right, this is the biggest reason it would suck to me. Get a season going, get back the fans, then tell half of them to take a hike the last home game.
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Having the little McBadgerton going through the college selection process right now
                                There is NO choice to be made, correct?
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X