Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

"Rome was not built in a day." Coach G will get results if the team sustains, consistent, self-disciplined effort over the season.
    http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=226630

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
      Best fans in all of college hockey are Badger fans. No question. Although my Maine fans are great too.
      Certainly can't argue with a superior intellect like this. Somebody buy BlackI a thinner!
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        I'm not sure how team builds a united cohesive chemistry when you are literally fighting for playing time every minute you are on the ice with your teammates. All these guys were one of the THE guys on previous teams, and not you are not playing at all or bouncing all over the place, and that is surely a foreign thing at this point in their careers. Naturally it only gets harder post college to keep your career alive, but them learning that skill now does nothing for this team now. I think they need to identify the top 9 F's, run them, and patch the 4th line together. Guys need to know their roles, be confident and not be looking over their shoulder constantly.

Maybe at some point they needed to pick a goalie and run with it too and take the good with the bad. Goalies are especially sensitive. What was going though Hayton's head being the savior to the goat? I can understand why he never got going. I think Berry was just being the Berry we knew from last year, and that's ok. I agree no one in all of college hockey would not have traded Jurusik for Hayton.
        Can't say I disagree. This was much more the formula the previous year and I liked getting fresh guys Saturday on the 4th line. Thought it was really smart handling of the roster. I think they did stick with one goalie early, perhaps too long. Maybe should have platooned from the start and let them both get established as when we did finally throw Jack in, it was almost out of desperation. Hindsight on some of this stuff is 20/20 I guess. We thought Hayton looked solid out of the gate, the chinks didn't start showing up regularly for a month or two.

Another thing is that the boys just didn't handle success very well. It's not surprising really as they'd busted *** for 2 or 3 years without much to show for it and in that circumstance, finally getting some wins and recognition can feel like you've finally arrived. Guys tend to relax a bit. The fact is though college Hockey is a race to get better faster than everyone else. Given a time machine, plenty of .500 teams from March would go back and just curb stomp winning teams from October.
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
          Wisconsin hasn't been a national power in 24 years now and that needs to be turned around or season tickets will tank. As it is they may have lost 1/3 of the fan base permanently.
          What exactly is your definition of a "national power"? Seriously, what are your criteria?

Going back 24 years puts as in the 93-94 / 94-95 range. Yeah, that was a great stretch from 87-88 to 94-98. 8 years in a row of making the tournament, 1 championship. 24 or more wins every year.

I would argue that there have been other stretches, and certainly other years where we have been a power.

I'll admit, that stretch from the late 80s to mid 90s was amazing. Who knows if it will ever happen again...but I would disagree with the notion that we haven't been a "national power" in over 2 decades. But we all know that I'm the apologist, glass is half full, everything is fine guy...so take that with a grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
            I don't disagree about being disappointed on Grant Cruikshank as he is a nice prospect that should have success at the D1 level. The reality is every team has 18 scholarships to try to spread over 25-30 kids and sometimes other schools will have more money to offer a kid then UW is positioned to at a given moment in time. Looking at the kids coming in next year, Ranta is getting money before Cruikshank, while Mersch/Messner are pretty nice prospect that have been committed a while too (my guess is both are coming for less then what money Cruikshank balked at). The further problem probably comes with trying to juggle the incoming D guys and their money. We have 4 D guys projected to get drafted (some pretty early) that are not coming for book money and a dining hall pass. If the choice is to spend parts of the 18 scholarships we have on Cruikshank or bolstering our D corp back to what it should be at UW....I'm picking guys about to get drafted that can help on D where we have been really bad since 2010.
            The counter to this though is that as it stands, it appears we will have 8 drafted D plus Tischke. (so it might as well be 9) 9 guys who would all get good minutes almost anywhere will fight it out for 4+2 spots. (I can see how that can become problematic if not handled carefully.) I'm still all for it, but at the same time you have to balance those guys value against your F prospects. Especially on a team that wants to play fast, puck possession offense. I mean if Bode Wilde suddenly decides he wants to be a Badger next year do we give him Baker's money? Wilde is a much better player, but...

I think maybe the fact that the Krygier boys are twins probably sealed the deal with Cruikshank. We might otherwise only have added one D there and kept enough $$ to keep Grant too.
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
              What exactly is your definition of a "national power"? Seriously, what are your criteria?

Going back 24 years puts as in the 93-94 / 94-95 range. Yeah, that was a great stretch from 87-88 to 94-98. 8 years in a row of making the tournament, 1 championship. 24 or more wins every year.

I would argue that there have been other stretches, and certainly other years where we have been a power.

I'll admit, that stretch from the late 80s to mid 90s was amazing. Who knows if it will ever happen again...but I would disagree with the notion that we haven't been a "national power" in over 2 decades. But we all know that I'm the apologist, glass is half full, everything is fine guy...so take that with a grain of salt.
              My definition of national power is consistent NCAA championship contender, period. From 1971 to 1994 that's what Wisconsin hockey was. Even in years where they missed the tourney: see Ranheim, Tuttle, Granato, they were **** good and we could sense the team was RIGHT THERE.

Since 1994, Sauer's recruiting fell off and Eaves had about 2-3 great seasons, some good seasons and a few terrible ones. So this last 24 years? No, Wisconsin has not been a national power. Just an occasional spark.

Another way to say it is over the last 24 years look at: Denver, Michigan, North Dakota, Boston College and to lesser degrees Minnesota, St. Cloud, Duluth, Boston University.

Wisconsin has been OUT of the conversation more often than not for almost a quarter century now.
              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

My definition of national power is consistent NCAA championship contender, period. From 1971 to 1994 that's what Wisconsin hockey was. Even in years where they missed the tourney: see Ranheim, Tuttle, Granato, they were **** good and we could sense the team was RIGHT THERE.

Since 1994, Sauer's recruiting fell off and Eaves had about 2-3 great seasons, some good seasons and a few terrible ones. So this last 24 years? No, Wisconsin has not been a national power. Just an occasional spark.

Another way to say it is over the last 24 years look at: Denver, Michigan, North Dakota, Boston College and to lesser degrees Minnesota, St. Cloud, Duluth, Boston University.

Wisconsin has been OUT of the conversation more often than not for almost a quarter century now.
                Nobody can argue with a straight face that the recent level of success at Wisconsin is acceptable.

Having said that though, the game has changed. In the last 10 years 15 different teams have played for the title. (BC 3 times and perennial super powers Duluth and Quinnipiac, twice each.) In the 10 years prior to that only 8 different teams played for the title. College hockey then and earlier was what the women's game is now. Totally dominated by a handful of programs. BC was the last men's dynasty of note, and unless something changes within the game, nobody will go on a run like that again in the foreseeable future. Too many good players and too much talent leaves early.

Ranheim, Tuttle, and Granato all played 4 years. Granato is a one and done today. Maybe two years out of Ranheim and Tuttle if you're lucky. Can you put 15-20 draft picks on a team today and have a bunch of them sit or just play 4th line minutes until they get their chance? Hard to imagine today, but that's more the way it was. Unless something changes in the upcoming CBA, building another dynasty is a long shot. The talent level of 18 year old stars is just not enough to consistently overcome 23-25 year old players with maturity, hockey sense, and great work ethic. By the time it is, the youngsters are gone because it saves the NHL money on salaries. Maybe something will change there but I'm not holding my breath.
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                  Serious inquiry guys, do you think the Badgers sub-500 season is due mostly to a failure in coaching or are the players mostly to blame? Thanks.
                  Who knows. If you read my posts I believe the constant line-up changes created on ice chemistry issues @ forward. Hayton's rough season doomed them, but no one could have predicted that. Mark Stroebel was a curious hire to replace Don Granato, they are not in the same league. Special teams were below average. I guess I'm voting coaching.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Maybe good ole Tony Granato is still getting used to college hockey. Constantly changing lines and having players looking over their shoulders is an NHL thing I assume. Maybe that approach will work for the team eventually... or maybe he'll have to change it up to make it more college friendly.

It's Tony Granato. Olympic coach. Former NHL coach. Charismatic guy who can obviously recruit. I have a very hard time believing that he will have sustained losing at this University. I think he'll figure it out. If he has to fire coaches or do whatever... I don't think he's leaving Wisconsin as a loser.

That being said this season was a dumpster fire sh*t storm and the team looked tri-polar. So hopefully he figures it out soon. Like next year.

And they should work on winning face offs.
                    Last edited by druzy192; 03-09-2018, 06:00 PM.

Comment

I vote hope. I don’t need my potential grad school team to be as depressing as my undergrad.

Comment

I agree and I'm ****ing sick of being told to be patient. I expected better things this year, but I kind of had a feeling with the loss of Kunin and Don G, and Tony coaching the olympics. Absence of snipers, defense and goaltending (a total breakdown) marked doom for this team.
                        "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by Schmitty View Post
                          my potential grad school
                          Do you know how to Polka, or are you willing to learn?

If you want to be a Badger, just come along with me,
                          By the light, by the light, by the light of the moon.
                          If you want to be a Badger, just come along with me,
                          By the bright shining light of the moon.
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by druzy192 View Post
                            Maybe good ole Tony Granato is still getting used to college hockey.
                            I think this.

He's the right guy but it's a different job. Like any new situation there's a learning curve. I believe' he'll produce winners.
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                              I agree and I'm ****ing sick of being told to be patient.
                              Oz was very much on this message the last post game and then later with a tweet about everyone expecting instant oatmeal. I kinda was disappointed by that. He knows the expectation is to win and to win and to win.

On assistants, I don't know Strobel well, but I know some hockey people that do and they all have a lot of respect for him, his work ethic, his enthusiasm and his hockey sense, not to mention his all out Badger-ness. Whether he's a step down from Donny-- well, a lot of people think Donny is going to be the next Blackhawks HC, so probably everyone is a step down. I'm not sure how that reflects poorly on Strobel though, as I can't think of any other NHL head coach people that are willing to be assistants at UW.

It's been suggested Steve Miller would have been so much better. True that Miller has been one of the premier assistants in college hockey, but Miller primarily made his name as the best recruiter in college hockey. In Oz we have what many people also consider to be the best recruiter in college hockey. If you hired Miller, who's going to be the recruiter in charge? I don't see how that makes sense, or how that works, or why either Oz or Miller would want to be in that situation.
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                                Oz was very much on this message the last post game and then later with a tweet about everyone expecting instant oatmeal. I kinda was disappointed by that. He knows the expectation is to win and to win and to win.

On assistants, I don't know Strobel well, but I know some hockey people that do and they all have a lot of respect for him, his work ethic, his enthusiasm and his hockey sense, not to mention his all out Badger-ness. Whether he's a step down from Donny-- well, a lot of people think Donny is going to be the next Blackhawks HC, so probably everyone is a step down. I'm not sure how that reflects poorly on Strobel though, as I can't think of any other NHL head coach people that are willing to be assistants at UW.

It's been suggested Steve Miller would have been so much better. True that Miller has been one of the premier assistants in college hockey, but Miller primarily made his name as the best recruiter in college hockey. In Oz we have what many people also consider to be the best recruiter in college hockey. If you hired Miller, who's going to be the recruiter in charge? I don't see how that makes sense, or how that works, or why either Oz or Miller would want to be in that situation.
                                I met Mark when he was a Badger, then again at the last WI Hockey Backers luncheon; only a 25+/- year spread! I may have posted here that after hearing him speak, I would go to war with him. I have NO idea how that translates to coaching college hockey, but we've got a year or two to find out. I'm really rooting for somebody with that much passion and hopefully, knowledge.
                                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Working...
                                X