Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

It's a done deal. Motsko to MN.
    http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...032718aaa.html

Comment

I'm surprised. He's 57. I can't believe he will be a long term / over 10 year coach.
      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
        I'm surprised. He's 57. I can't believe he will be a long-term / over 10-year coach.
        I'm surprised as well. Remember when the crowds were yelling, "GOpher REjects, clap, clap, clap clap clap" to all the other Minnesota schools? Recently they've been yelling at the goofs, "BULL Dog REjects!" or insert your favorite non-goofer Minnesota team.

New blood in WI, new blood in MN; it's going to be more fun!
        "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
          The Badgers need an identity. And through two seasons, it feels a lot like they're still looking to figure out just what it is going to be.
          I think the identity they want is up tempo and not terribly physical, which is ok. I prefer a speed game over a physical game.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Cool to see Smith and Turris out as the first F pair in OT for the Preds. After watching the waved off OT winner, I now officially do not know what offsides is anymore. The back of the front skate was on the line when the puck touched the line.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              Cool to see Smith and Turris out as the first F pair in OT for the Preds. After watching the waved off OT winner, I now officially do not know what offsides is anymore. The back of the front skate was on the line when the puck touched the line.
              Badger alums, and some Madison area non-Badgers (Kessel, Schmaltz's, Butcher), are doing very well in the NHL.

The NHL is looking into that "raised skate" scenario and they aren't going to waste time making a decision in the off season. I occasionally travel for my job and listen to SXM NHL Network. Last Friday an NHL official stated on the air that, ".....we DO NOT want to become the NFL of hockey..."

Personally, I'd like to get rid of the off side review. Sure there have been some waived off goals, but the plays are usually so **** close that the replays have to be reviewed one frame at a time. It's slows the game down. It's getting to the point that they are LOOKING for a reason NOT to allow a goal.
              "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                I think the identity they want is up tempo and not terribly physical, which is ok. I prefer a speed game over a physical game.
                I agree with this but they have not yet been able to bring in their forwards in mass....leaving their identity in limbo. I think starting in 2019-2020 they will have enough of the type of forwards they want on the roster to play to the identity they want to have.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                  Personally, I'd like to get rid of the off side review. Sure there have been some waived off goals, but the plays are usually so **** close that the replays have to be reviewed one frame at a time. It's slows the game down. It's getting to the point that they are LOOKING for a reason NOT to allow a goal.
                  Yes Yes Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                    I agree with this but they have not yet been able to bring in their forwards in mass....leaving their identity in limbo. I think starting in 2019-2020 they will have enough of the type of forwards they want on the roster to play to the identity they want to have.
                    I don't think I can take another year like this year!
                    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                      You won't hear any disagreement from UND fans. Not after the BU mess.

Comment

Perhaps that's true, but that does leave me a little uneasy. There were probably 9-11 F's on this roster that will play pro hockey, so I would think you could get something out of them that is more recognizable. In other words, if we can really only play the way we want to when we can get a dozen first rounders on the ice -- well, that's an overall plan that makes me a bit nervous, especially given the NHL's drastically increased appetite for young players. (was surprised that they offered to burn a year off of Mittlestadt's ELC to get him signed, for example)

FTR, I'm behind Tony 100%. I just think he's too smart and too competitive not to win here. It just feels to me a little like the steepness of the learning curve got him a little this year. When it's March and he's saying "Man, I just can't believe we're an under .500 team." It kinda leaves the impression that he doesn't know why that happened and that's not a good thing. Whether you're winning or losing, hopefully you know why.

It's still hard to fathom that we were 10-7-1 and then could only manage 4 wins the last 18 games. We've all joked about "Climbing the Mountain" a million times, but it's originally a Badger Bob saying, and the one thing that was pretty constant over the years here was that unlike a number of pretty good gopher teams I can think of, the Badgers were consistently a better team in March than they were in December. Not this year. And that's a hard thing to get around.
                        Originally posted by WiscTJK
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                        Originally posted by Timothy A
                        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Makes me wonder if something was amiss in the locker room.

Comment

• The D will be in place to make good outlet passes this year so that part of the equation should be better this year. Perhaps that was more of an issue than the forwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodhotter View Post
                              Makes me wonder if something was amiss in the locker room.
                              I thought that for a good portion of the year.

Originally I wasn't concerned in the least with Tony and the Olympics, but with the passing of JJ, it obviously not only took a personal toll on Tony, but significantly increased the demands on him and his time. Added to the apparent fragility of the team's mindset, perhaps that all played a significant role in the results as well.
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

The D will be in place to make good outlet passes this year so that part of the equation should be better this year. Perhaps that was more of an issue than the forwards.
                                As Almington said, better D = better G.

Better D also hopefully means better puck recovery, turnaround and outlets to transition, which can than = better F's.
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X