X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Who is in your Deadpool for Solo: Infinity War

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    Disney has six of the all-time domestic and five of the global top 10.

Comment

Super Troopers 2

There's an f-bomb in this. Or 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QbL-E4EASI
      A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

A Quiet Place, a.k.a., Kids Ruin Everything. Great premise, genuinely scary, pretty well acted. Krasinski and Blunt suck in real life but they were perfectly average and no distraction. The brats were the interesting performances. I'd love to see the original screenplay before the pretty ones got involved -- I'm sure it is much better. But I'd still say it's a good pop out horror. Solid B, has moments (when the leads are offscreen) of A-ishness.

The writers allowed K&B to dumb down their screenplay in exchange for creative control on their next movie, also through Bay, so we'll see what they've got then.
        Last edited by Kepler; 04-07-2018, 06:08 PM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Solo looks like it’s going to be pure fun.

https://youtu.be/jPEYpryMp2s

Written by Lawrence Kasdan so it’s going to be quickly paced, I can’t wait.
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
            Solo looks like it’s going to be pure fun.

https://youtu.be/jPEYpryMp2s

Written by Lawrence Kasdan so it’s going to be quickly paced, I can’t wait.
            That trailer is not doing it for me. I really cringed at a few of those scenes.

Comment

Yeah watching Donald Glover try and do a Billy Dee Williams impression is just not my cup of tea. And nothing about whatshisface screams "Young Han Solo" to me. I hope people like it though. If I see it it will be because of MoviePass
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                Yeah watching Donald Glover try and do a Billy Dee Williams impression is just not my cup of tea. And nothing about whatshisface screams "Young Han Solo" to me. I hope people like it though. If I see it it will be because of MoviePass
                I'm curious, and I've seen exactly 0 trailers for the movie, what would make them feel like the characters they're trying to resurrect? I don't care one way or the other, this will just be a chase/caper movie with some fan service tossed in for good measure. Ron Howard directed it...eventually...so I'm expecting at least something salvageable from it though not awe inspiring.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  I'm curious, and I've seen exactly 0 trailers for the movie, what would make them feel like the characters they're trying to resurrect? I don't care one way or the other, this will just be a chase/caper movie with some fan service tossed in for good measure. Ron Howard directed it...eventually...so I'm expecting at least something salvageable from it though not awe inspiring.
                  I dunno I have tried explaining it but I cant which is frustrating. That is always the problem with new people filling iconic roles. To me it looks like kids putting on their own fanfic movie (with an obviously bigger budget) trying to play Lando and Han. I had the same problem with McGregor as Obiwon though by the third movie it was at least believable they were the same person. Same with Chris Pine as Kirk (or well any of that cast) it just feels like younger people playing dress up.

It will probably be the same when, after Indy 5 comes out, they recast Indy.

Sometimes it works like with Bond (though there is definitely fan divide over the various interpretations) but part of what made Han Solo cool was what Ford brought to the character itself. (things you see in all his movies) That is not something someone else can just do because they arent him. They might be able to copy it, but it will always feel off even if the actor is great.

This isnt a great parallel but I think the scenario works. When the Godfather was made the studio didnt want Pacino to play Michael, one of their top choices was James Caan. Now Caan is a great actor (much more suited for Sonny anyways but that is neither here nor there) and probably would have been fine or even really good in the part but it would have been a completely different character because many of the things that made Michael great were things Pacino himself brought to the part. (mannerisms, looks, tone of voice...etc) The performance transcends the part itself. That is how I feel about Harrison Ford as Han Solo. The character itself is pretty paint by numbers but something about his performance in the part pushed it beyond that for some of us.

I dont expect most to agree with me, and I am not out to change anyone's mind on the subject. Like I said I really hope it is good and people love it. I guess I am just getting over exposed to Star Wars cause even the things that should grab me and make me want to see the film (the nerd stuff like the Falcon, Chewy, Han Probably winning the Falcon in a game of Sabaac...etc) just arent enough anymore.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    I dunno I have tried explaining it but I cant which is frustrating. That is always the problem with new people filling iconic roles. To me it looks like kids putting on their own fanfic movie (with an obviously bigger budget) trying to play Lando and Han. I had the same problem with McGregor as Obiwon though by the third movie it was at least believable they were the same person. Same with Chris Pine as Kirk (or well any of that cast) it just feels like younger people playing dress up.

It will probably be the same when, after Indy 5 comes out, they recast Indy.

Sometimes it works like with Bond (though there is definitely fan divide over the various interpretations) but part of what made Han Solo cool was what Ford brought to the character itself. (things you see in all his movies) That is not something someone else can just do because they arent him. They might be able to copy it, but it will always feel off even if the actor is great.

This isnt a great parallel but I think the scenario works. When the Godfather was made the studio didnt want Pacino to play Michael, one of their top choices was James Caan. Now Caan is a great actor (much more suited for Sonny anyways but that is neither here nor there) and probably would have been fine or even really good in the part but it would have been a completely different character because many of the things that made Michael great were things Pacino himself brought to the part. (mannerisms, looks, tone of voice...etc) The performance transcends the part itself. That is how I feel about Harrison Ford as Han Solo. The character itself is pretty paint by numbers but something about his performance in the part pushed it beyond that for some of us.

I dont expect most to agree with me, and I am not out to change anyone's mind on the subject. Like I said I really hope it is good and people love it. I guess I am just getting over exposed to Star Wars cause even the things that should grab me and make me want to see the film (the nerd stuff like the Falcon, Chewy, Han Probably winning the Falcon in a game of Sabaac...etc) just arent enough anymore.
                    I thought McGregor was great from the start but I see your points.

I think Solo will be like the first 20 mins of Indy 3 with River Phoenix as young Indy. Lots of fun and a few callbacks that show winning the falcon, saving chewie and maybe even how Solo fell out of favor with the Hutts etc

Like Rogue One I have no expectations other than a good summer thrill ride of a movie.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      This is beautifully stated. Well said.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Like Rogue One I have no expectations other than a good summer thrill ride of a movie.
                        The best thing SW could do is get back to that as the expectation. The Universe and the fans are parasites weighing it down and enfeebling it, and putting it into an impossible situation. Maybe that's because the prequels were so awful the fanbase had no choice but to turn inwards and create interest among themselves while trying to ignore the actual disasters on screen. I can't think of a director who failed his fans as enormously and arrogantly as Lucas, leading me to believe it was actually never him, and others deserve the credit for what was great in the first two movies.

Other than burning every print and erasing every file of Ep 1-3, the best thing SW could do would be worry less about continuity and Canon and more about telling a good story. Personally I think they did that with TLJ (and I am hardly a fanboy).
                        Cornell University

Comment

Mother!

That was one :censored: ed up movie. I didn't expect anything less, given the director, but wow. That being said, not my cup of tea. It was well done, it took a while to figure out which way he was going. Really a deep movie. Just didn't hook me. Basically watched it until the end to see what he was going to do with it.

Strap in for this one, folks. Gonna need it.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            The best thing SW could do is get back to that as the expectation. The Universe and the fans are parasites weighing it down and enfeebling it, and putting it into an impossible situation. Maybe that's because the prequels were so awful the fanbase had no choice but to turn inwards and create interest among themselves while trying to ignore the actual disasters on screen. I can't think of a director who failed his fans as enormously and arrogantly as Lucas, leading me to believe it was actually never him, and others deserve the credit for what was great in the first two movies.

Other than burning every print and erasing every file of Ep 1-3, the best thing SW could do would be worry less about continuity and Canon and more about telling a good story. Personally I think they did that with TLJ (and I am hardly a fanboy).
                            Agreed on all points!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I should elaborate a bit. While Lucas had great ideas initially it was Gary Kurtz and later Lawrence Kasdan who helped him see it through.

Kurtz was the QC as far as I can tell and it’s revealing that Lucas pushed him out when their visions diverged on ROTJ.

Story here: http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/star-wars-was-born-a-long-time-ago-but-not-all-that-far-far-away-in-1972-filmmakers-george-lucas-and-gary-kurtz-wer/amp/

The reason the prequels were so terrible is there was no Kurtz or even a Kasdan to reign him in off of Col. Kurtz island.

And it would have helped as well if he allowed Natalie Portman to act and used Liam Neeson as Kenobi and McGregor as Anakin. But I digress...
                              Anyway, you’re right, Kurtz and Kasdan should get far more credit for the original trilogy than they’ve received.

Comment

And it would have helped as well if he allowed Natalie Portman to act
                                I don't think Meryl Streep could have saved that steaming pile.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X