This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Yeah, if there is one thing Ready Player One is not, it’s being an ode to ‘MURICA!

For Brent, it’s a film about nearly everything bb_dl hates.
    It is most def not Murcia, makes me sad people think so.

The book was truly wonderful- in my top 10-15 of all time

Comment

• Re: Who is in your Deadpool for Solo: Infinity War

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Also, I'm an idiot. I finally got the meaning of the title "Amadeus," after 40 years.
      I’m still an idiot. Is there something I’m not seeing beyond the obvious?

(I assume you’re talking about the Murray Abraham movie)
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
        It is most def not Murcia, makes me sad people think so.

The book was truly wonderful- in my top 10-15 of all time
        I like the book but I’m not jazzed by it like you and Kep. I think the main reason being I don’t have as much nostalgia for a lot of the content, mostly due to age. I don’t like D&D and a lot of the 80’s arcade game stuff I’m not into, I’d be more nostalgic to Mario or Final Fantasy and the like versus Joust and Pac-Man. Though the movie references are great fun.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
          I like the book but I’m not jazzed by it like you and Kep. I think the main reason being I don’t have as much nostalgia for a lot of the content, mostly due to age. I don’t like D&D and a lot of the 80’s arcade game stuff I’m not into, I’d be more nostalgic to Mario or Final Fantasy and the like versus Joust and Pac-Man. Though the movie references are great fun.
          I am an 80s child so perhaps that is it

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
            Yeah, the whole setting of the movie is a subculture in which Halliday's obsession with 1980s pop culture has been elevated to mythopoetic status. I haven't seen the movie so I don't know how well it does it, but in the book it's done beautifully. Remember that this is a future that is 60 years removed from the 1980s, so it has the same meatworld historical relationship with it that today does with the 1950s.

I was 16-26 in the 1980s so I get all the references but I am a little old for the nostalgia -- the 80s don't hold any emotional appeal for me. Dr. Mrs. (10-20) is perfect for it, and she actually appreciated the detail much more than I did. She was also more into that culture than I was, which helps a lot.

I'm hopeful the movie works even if you don't really care about that particular period but that would make it inaccessible to the bulk of the audience that isn't capable of living at y and enjoying z's looking back at x. I was surprised they made a movie at all -- it's definitely a niche taste for a large group of people in their late 40s and then the usual population of nerds who can (and want to) perform the mental gymnastics required.
            Last edited by Kepler; 03-29-2018, 04:12 PM.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Yeah, the whole setting of the movie is a subculture in which Halliday's obsession with 1980s pop culture has been elevated to mythopoetic status. I haven't seen the movie so I don't know how well it does it, but in the book it's done beautifully. Remember that this is a future that is 60 years removed from the 1980s, so it has the same meatworld historical relationship with it that today does with the 1950s.

I was 16-26 in the 1980s so I get all the references but I am a little old for the nostalgia -- the 80s don't hold any emotional appeal for me. Dr. Mrs. (10-20) is perfect for it, and she actually appreciated the detail much more than I did. She was also more into that culture than I was, which helps a lot.

I'm hopeful the movie works even if you don't really care about that particular period but that would make it inaccessible to the bulk of the audience that isn't capable of living at y and enjoying z's looking back at x. I was surprised they made a movie at all -- it's definitely a niche taste for a large group of people in their late 40s and then the usual population of nerds who can (and want to) perform the mental gymnastics required.
              I’ve read the book so I know the story.

It was apparently a pet project for Spielberg, though he made a concerted effort to not really reference his stuff.

But yeah I think age has a lot to do with its appeal, if you’re in your late 30’s to late 40’s it’s awesome, for me in my early 30’s it’s really just a depressing glimpse of the future.
              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

The book version included several aspects of 80s culture - including music and literature. The film version focuses mainly on video games and movies. Not surprising considering the medium.

Comment

I liked Ready Player One...very cool movie with awesome references! I never read the book though...

But I will say this Nolan = Kepler
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    I liked Ready Player One...very cool movie with awesome references! I never read the book though...

But I will say this Nolan = Kepler
                    It was fun! And the book is awesome!!

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      I’m still an idiot. Is there something I’m not seeing beyond the obvious?

(I assume you’re talking about the Murray Abraham movie)
                      I have to admit, I'm wondering the same thing, and I think this movie is my 2nd fave movie of all time.

Edit: have a guess. Amadeus is his middle (or second) name. So he was considered not the star composer? The "second" composer?
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Doubtful. I’m guessing it has to do with the root definition of the name Amadeus.

But I’ve been wrong once before.
                        Last edited by dxmnkd316; 03-29-2018, 10:49 PM.
                        Code:
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          I’m guessing it has to do with the root definition of the name Amadeus.
                          Correct, "Amadeus" means "Love of God," the driving theme of Salieri's life and then his motive for revenge. Shaffer is brilliant and I ought to have gotten it immediately.
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            I have to admit, I'm wondering the same thing, and I think this movie is my 2nd fave movie of all time.
                            I highly recommend reading the play. The movie is excellent (Abraham may be the most inspired casting decision in movie history) and I love it. The play itself is balls to the wall one of the most perfect creations in the English language. It's between it and Rosencranz and Guildenstern for my favorite 20th C play. There is stuff in the text that will make you wonder how anyone can operate on so many levels at once.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Ready Player One.

A complete piece of sh-t. F. Awful. May Spielberg rot in hell.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Lol stop.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X