This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
    They won 6 games!!!! What was he adjusting, his tie? Cmon Ralph. Btw- Lammers who should have been hired took his team from 5 wins to 11 in his 1st season. Wasn't even in our final 3 candidates.
    I read this as an attack on Smith. “Look, he only won a few games, and we should’ve hired this other guy!”

AspyDad, I’ll take you at your word that you harbor no ill will at Smith. This comment just made me feel your (rightful) anger at the administration was going to Smith.

What RedCloud eloquently wrote I essentially agree with.

Edit: And I just want to add that while Smith should not be above criticism, I feel a first year coach coming into this situation shouldn’t be judged in year 1 on wins. That’s why I took exception to this comment.
    Last edited by rsfs04; 03-06-2018, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Thanks. I remember reading something before Christmas - which could have meant the source was "fake news".
          I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            You know, I'm always thankful when I see things that remind me that when you think you've heard or seen it all, you really haven't!
            I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Yeah, timing is everything. I'd at least let the sting of another losing season fade a bit before asking for $$. Although if there is a proven correlation between the # of Ipads and the # of wins, Dave can have my credit card.

Comment

I became a certified curmudgeon early this calendar year.

I agree that AspyDad cares and the great majority of his comments have not been against Smith. It is just all of the praise of SA that is getting to me. I liked SA as a person, not that I knew him personally, but I felt that it was time that he was let go. I am happy that he is doing well with the USNTDP. I do note that he always sent notes when I donated to the team and I don't recall Smith doing so. Anyway, he is history, as are Harkness, Addesa, Fridgen, Powers, and many others. We have to move on.

I don't believe that the record is the only thing that counts, although it certainly does. It is important that we produce players who show RPI in a positive light to the public, whether it is as athletes or in another endeavor. That is more Joe Juneaus and J.F. Gosselins and fewer Phil Kenners.

I am surprised that you compare this to RPISPORT-L, but maybe I don't pay enough attention to the discussion there.
                Your comment used poor judgment re: AA game. Why I bring Appert up is because many of you thought he was a bad coach but his current record and success at DU and the fact he was entrusted with USA elites belies that fact. This discussion started with Macadam saying it won't be Smith's fault if he doesn't turn this around; I agree about this point. You and others fell in the trap of blaming the coach with Apps at the end, so don't give me that line. You're may be sick of me but your puns and other stuff can be annoying but I never said it but since you have taken the low road, there you go. I won't disturb your group think. All is fine...nothing to see here.
                "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by rsfs04 View Post
                  I read this as an attack on Smith. “Look, he only won a few games, and we should’ve hired this other guy!”

AspyDad, I’ll take you at your word that you harbor no ill will at Smith. This comment just made me feel your (rightful) anger at the administration was going to Smith.

What RedCloud eloquently wrote I essentially agree with.

Edit: And I just want to add that while Smith should not be above criticism, I feel a first year coach coming into this situation shouldn’t be judged in year 1 on wins. That’s why I took exception to this comment.
                  Ty. I do think that Barr, Lammers or Muse should have got the job. It's Smith's, so be it.
                  "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                    Aspy, Appert may be a great coach, but the last three years at RPI, either the team wasn't talented enough, or they just didn't buy into his program. He was ineffective.
                    Smith has the team playing with more enthusiasm and energy. And while they did not win many games, they did buy into the system and were listening to the coach.
                    Lets give him a chance to show what he can do with his own team.
                    I too believe that Appert was a great guy and I wish him the best. But I will wait until he is back in D-1 hockey before I anoint him...
                    Ty. I don't know if they did. Troy York departure was strange considering he was a Smith recruit. Hope this finds you well.

Comment

• Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

I am surprised that you compare this to RPISPORT-L, but maybe I don't pay enough attention to the discussion there.
                      I hardly see any discussion there at all. Just a post from Charlene every now and then. Or maybe I'm looking at the wrong place?

Comment

This might be a little strange, and I know I'll get a snarky remark or two or twenty... Is there a lack of focus with our teams? The workload isn't much of an excuse because there are 59 other teams that deal with the same thing, but the management of it (irony intended given the major of the majority of the team) may in fact be a problem. I'm not sure if a technological device is going to help, especially if these kids already have to buy laptops and whatnot, but if focus really is a problem, which could explain why we can beat #1 in one night and give up a touchdown in the next game, then perhaps there's a character upgrade that needs to happen to be able to tackle this sort of a stressful environment, as it will only get worse once they're in the real world.

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                          If I'm not mistaken, he is co-coach, not head coach.
                          He's also not the most winningest coach in USNTDP history, nor is he the owner of the best single-season record, but let's not have the facts cloud a good story.
                          Last edited by ServinisScores; 03-06-2018, 10:40 AM.
                          Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                            You know, if he truly didn't care, he wouldn't be here. If he was only an Appert fan, as is being intimated, why would he bother, especially when he hasn't said peep about Smith - and in fact said he holds him no ill will? This is out of line and beneath you. I would have expected this kind of tripe from some salty bedwetter like ServinisScores but not from you.

I'm in full agreement that when Appert was fired, it was for cause. I said so at the time and looking back I still can't fault the decision. But in all honesty, there's no reason to fire a guy if you don't have a concrete plan for improving without him, especially when even the haters would admit that the man had many redeemable qualities - it's just that they weren't enough to justify keeping him if you wanted the program to advance on the ice. Smith's hiring left a whole lot of us scratching our heads, especially considering the hype that surrounded a number of other candidates that the rest of the hockey world thought were outstanding possibilities for resurrecting a program that is adrift.

He's not wrong. This year's team, in the only numbers that count at the end of the day, was worse than last year's team. And yes, there's a multi-year process that it takes for a new coach to turn things around, everyone gets that, even if a good number of the bedwetting clique oddly never gave the same courtesy to Smith's predecessor. But in [current year], we do have the ability to see slightly into the future given the equally multi-year recruiting process that now exists. Combine the fact that of all the myriad recruits that we have on the list, the most common thing we're seeing and reading about them is "well, they're 21" and not "man, I can't wait for this guy to get here," and combine that with the amount of turnover we've already seen with the roster and that everyone fully expects is going to be happening again this summer, perhaps even especially you, and you CAN NOT fault a person for questioning the situation as it currently exists.

And I don't see a single person laying a shred of blame on Dave Smith. Not one, not even AspyDad, who, yes, is a guy who likes Seth Appert more than your average human being. This is all about the decision to fire a poorly performing coach without eliciting an actual path forward. Apparently the path forward is to bring in overage players and slash and burn the guys who the previous coach brought in. It's not an untried method, at least the first part. I'm willing to give it a shot, even though the amount of turmoil we're currently seeing eclipses anything Appert ever had outside of his final season (where I think he knew the writing was on the wall and eventually started throwing stuff against the wall to see what would stick).

You don't like constant whining? Welcome to my world for the past decade. It's a big reason why I rarely even bother checking in here during the regular season anymore. It's become Diet RPISPORT-L. Just as toxic with fewer calories.
                            You know, when it comes to RPI hockey, not many people know more than you. And I love listening your comments on the team. But when you stoop to calling people names, you lose me.
                            And while I would like to tell you what I think of you, I have way more respect for myself and you. Stick to facts, and stop denigrating people.
                            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                            Benjamin Franklin
                            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                            Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                              You know, when it comes to RPI hockey, not many people know more than you. And I love listening your comments on the team. But when you stoop to calling people names, you lose me.
                              And while I would like to tell you what I think of you, I have way more respect for myself and you. Stick to facts, and stop denigrating people.
                              Well put, EHF, way better than I could have.
                              Class of '93

Comment

For those not aware, this appears to be across the athletic programs - women's lacrosse posted a similar reuqest (for different items) last night as well. We can debate the revenue generated by the different programs, however, it's not just a Men's hockey thing.
                                Class of '93

Comment

Working...
                                X