The 2018 My Team Got the Shaft from the NCAA Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Not so much "ironic" as it is "congruent". That is a really good program, out there in the middle of nowhere.

The W, er, the UCHC, really misses Hobart. And maybe the NEHC wishes that Hobart would just go home, already.
    It’s one year....Hobart was the best this year. Helps raise the visibility of the league with another strong perennial top 15 team every year. The NEHC now has four teams that fall into that category which is great for the league going forward. Strengthen the league with numbers while not sacrificing quality.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

• Re: The 2018 My Team Got the Shaft from the NCAA Thread

Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post
      It's certainly possible that those four could be the best four. But if you're going to make a definitive statement, then I want to know the basis for that statement. How much has he seen these teams? Has he talked to coaches who've said so? I don't think it's that much to ask, even though the bar is set low for many these days...
      I never said it was definitive. It was quite obvious I stated it as an opinion.

And yes, I talk to coaches all the time. So my opinion is not just on my own observation and the many (granted eastern only) games I see in person and streaming, but on what coaches tell me they think.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by geneseo View Post
        I'd send my daughter to Hobart in a heartbeat if that's where she wanted to go.
        You mean William Smith. Technically, your daughter would never go to Hobart.
        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          Hobart is very, very good. Two of the best four teams in the tournament played last night.
          Geneseo was easily the best team I saw all year. Obviously, my exposure is limited to SUNYAC (but I did watch Nortbert v Adrian, Norwich v Hobart and select other games), but they were my pick to win the SUNY tournament before it started. I'm hoping now to see them in Lake Placid in a couple weeks...
          Steve
          Penn State Class of '95
          Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
            You mean William Smith. Technically, your daughter would never go to Hobart.
            Sorry, I guess that might have been confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post
              It's certainly possible that those four could be the best four. But if you're going to make a definitive statement, then I want to know the basis for that statement. How much has he seen these teams? Has he talked to coaches who've said so? I don't think it's that much to ask, even though the bar is set low for many these days...
              What is your problem with Russell? There are certainly better targets for your venom here than Mr. Jaslow who has forgotten more about Div III hockey than most of us (and I suspect you included) will ever know.
              Steve
              Penn State Class of '95
              Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                I was very impressed with Hobart in the games I saw them this year. I was curious how their styles were going to match up. I felt Geneseo would be able to match their physicality and toughness.

Hobart might want to start declining hosting if they earn the right. Think that’s 3 straight years now they’ve lost at the Cooler. UMass Boston, Endicott and now Geneseo.

They clearly love playing in hostile atmospheres and thrive off it.
                Oswego pounded them 6-1 in 2015 at The Cooler as well NCAA round 1....Back in my days 85-87 at Oswego I had a few friends who played for Hobart,each time we played they requested that we did not beat them by double digits...times have changed,except for the Cooler
                Last edited by bakdraft21; 03-12-2018, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                  times have changed,except for the Cooler
                  The Cooler did get its 4th wall built
                  2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                  2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                  2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                  2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                    The Cooler did get its 4th wall built
                    It didn't help the temperatures inside...
                    Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                      Geneseo was easily the best team I saw all year.
                      Yup, best SUNYAC team we faced this year:

12/1- Oswego Genny 2-2 OT
                      2/9- Oswego 4, Genny 2
                      Oswego State 1980 Grad
                      (attended in one way or another from 1968-1988, don't ask..... )

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                        Hobart has been the most consistently excellent program I've seen much of in my 18 years of watching D-3... And I still don't understand how they do it.

I mean: Geneva is a hole, The Cooler is a world-class dump, etc., but Hobart still manages to recruit and succeed almost every single season.

It was a shame that Hobart and Geneseo had to cancel one of each other out this early, though. They were set on a collision-course too soon, but that's not atypical stuff in the D-3 world.
                        I think this is a compliment to Mark Taylor and his great recruits over the years. However if Geneva is a hole, why does it have some of the top rated restaurants and hotels in the region, including the top rated new restaurant in the entire United States in 2017 as per a USA News poll(FLX Table), I think you must hang outside of the Cooler for leftovers after a game....Also, I think you mean the Cooler is iconic or perhaps rustic .... by the way, because of the success of the Statesmen program and the four year old Heron program, there are plans to partner with Geneva(as part of a downtown hole revitalization) to build a new rink that should make those that need more comfort while attending the game satisfied. I do think we need this built soon in order to break the bad karma in the first round of the NCAAs these last 4 years...this year was particularly upsetting because of drawing such a great team in Geneseo in the first round.....they deserved to win as our defense was not as tight as the final we played against Norwich...I really hope Genny goes all the way so we can prove the quality of eastern hockey, and Hobart crawls out of the dump in the hole to play in the NCAAs again next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartman View Post
                          .. there are plans to partner with Geneva (as part of a downtown hole revitalization) to build a new rink that should make those that need more comfort while attending the game satisfied. I do think we need this built soon in order to break the bad karma in the first round of the NCAAs these last 4 years..
                          There is a reason that very little construction occurs in Geneva. I happened to have been intimately involved in the most recent construction project in downtown Geneva, (3 blocks from the cooler) and it took literally YEARS to get anything through the City's oppressive and obstructionist processes. The infrastructure (power, data, water, comm, sewer) is also a mess.

I believe the college deserves better, much better, but don't hold your breath, nothing happens "soon" in that City.

Comment

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
                            There is a reason that very little construction occurs in Geneva. I happened to have been intimately involved in the most recent construction project in downtown Geneva, (3 blocks from the cooler) and it took literally YEARS to get anything through the City's oppressive and obstructionist processes. The infrastructure (power, data, water, comm, sewer) is also a mess.
                            Lake Champlain on the remaining side.
                            I believe the college deserves better, much better, but don't hold your breath, nothing happens "soon" in that City.
                            WOW...sounds like the city of Plattsburgh....That is why most new business ends up in the Town of Plattsburgh...which virtually surrounds the city on 3 sides with Lake Champlain on the remaining side.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Bartman View Post
                              I think this is a compliment to Mark Taylor and his great recruits over the years. However if Geneva is a hole, why does it have some of the top rated restaurants and hotels in the region, including the top rated new restaurant in the entire United States in 2017 as per a USA News poll(FLX Table), I think you must hang outside of the Cooler for leftovers after a game....Also, I think you mean the Cooler is iconic or perhaps rustic .... by the way, because of the success of the Statesmen program and the four year old Heron program, there are plans to partner with Geneva(as part of a downtown hole revitalization) to build a new rink that should make those that need more comfort while attending the game satisfied. I do think we need this built soon in order to break the bad karma in the first round of the NCAAs these last 4 years...this year was particularly upsetting because of drawing such a great team in Geneseo in the first round.....they deserved to win as our defense was not as tight as the final we played against Norwich...I really hope Genny goes all the way so we can prove the quality of eastern hockey, and Hobart crawls out of the dump in the hole to play in the NCAAs again next year.
                              Believe me, we don't hang-out anywhere near the Rec Center for anything... But perhaps you'd know if the left-overs there are any good?

Seriously, we don't mind the cold there, even back when it used to snow inside. What we hate about that place is that there are just a handful of decent seats, and no really good ones.

Yes, Hobart deserves a better arena than that midget-hockey venue. I agree whole-heartedly.
                              Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-13-2018, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                                It’s one year....Hobart was the best this year. Helps raise the visibility of the league with another strong perennial top 15 team every year. The NEHC now has four teams that fall into that category which is great for the league going forward. Strengthen the league with numbers while not sacrificing quality.
                                Or, add utter cannon-fodder to inflate your conference's population (while simultaneously weakening it) in order to satisfy the D-3 process, which is what the (former) ECAC-W had to do to garner the sacred AQ...

Face it, you can't have it both ways via any cogent argument.
                                Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-13-2018, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X