Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMass Lowell 2018: Champions of the Offseason

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
    You have to wonder what would happen if a big-time college job at a highly prestigious school with a lot of money opened up that wouldn't require relocating his family, would allow his wife to continue her work at UML, and would be no change to his current team travel schedule....
    we know. he turned down mack
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
      For the life of me I can't figure out why Norm actually considered leaving his Lowell job to take an AHL job, unless it was solely to get more $ from UML. If he wants to go for a pro job, he can more than prove himself at Lowell in order to get considered for an NHL gig. But since he did do three interviews for the Utica job, I too am inclined to believe that the reported interest between both sides was there. There are a number of potential factors that made him withdraw - uprooting his family, $$, not wanting to do the NCHC travel all among them.

For a Lowell fan, it has to be concerning that he's been speculated for a job change two years in a row for a non-NHL job. You have to wonder what would happen if a big-time college job at a highly prestigious school with a lot of money opened up that wouldn't require relocating his family, would allow his wife to continue her work at UML, and would be no change to his current team travel schedule... Still tough to see it happening, but Jerry's gettin' old.
      I agree there is some whiff Randy Edsall here... but at the same time I think Randy Edsall regrets Randy Edsall... and Randy edsall wasn’t UConn alumni
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

2 years in a row with rumours of Norm leaving is not good for long-term recruiting. I never want to see Norm leave I accept the reality maybe one day the NHL will come calling but going to another school I don't even want to think about that being a possibility. If Norm does go is it another succession line like after Crowder left? I would assume it would be Cam's job to lose, but somehow I would like to see Billy Riga from QU get back into the fold at Lowell.
        Tully Rink Rat
        Dick Umile Told Me To Go Fudge Myself Club
        Youngstar
        UML Class of 09

Comment

• Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
          Not sure its totally fake news. I'm willing to believe Jeff was told this information, however I'd be interested to hear him report why Norm pulled out of the running despite there being "significant mutual interest".

Did Lowell counter with a better contract terms? Was Denver unwilling to meet Norm's demands? Was there protection in the current UML contract that would make acquiring Norm cost prohibitive?

I'd love to know, but I doubt Jeff will share those details.

BTW, assuming there was mutual interest here, this is the second year in a row where Norm seriously considered another offer (Utica AHL last season). If he's entertaining these offers for leverage for a better contract, more power to him, but doing this the season after he was given a contract extension paying him 500k per season?? I find that unsettling. Not sure Norm will be the "lifer" we are all hoping he might be.
          I was told by NCHC and Hockey East assistants and NHL scouts who are in the know that Denver has zeroed in on Norm Bazin and that there were significant talks between the two parties. As I subsequently tweeted, 2 sources with ties to UMass Lowell Hockey program both indicated there was truth to that and a former player indicated to me that hockey alumni had heard he was in the running but pulled his name out when the pot was perhaps sweetened at Lowell.

I have submitted a FOIA request to see what additional info I can find in regards to the possibility of a better contract. Hopefully I will hear further.

I will admit I was mislead if it comes out that there was “nothing to see here” but I believe there was.

- Jeff Cox
          https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
          Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
            $$$$, better recruits and better chance at a national championship
            Norm is pushing 500K at Lowell. I don't think money is the issue.
            Lowell Forever
            Forever Lowell

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              so who is going to be the next coach? thinking of poaching the mack new bench boss?
              Who’s going to be your next coach? Maybe Norm will bring Jasmine with him to BU??

Comment

• Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                I was told by NCHC and Hockey East assistants and NHL scouts who are in the know that Denver has zeroed in on Norm Bazin and that there were significant talks between the two parties. As I subsequently tweeted, 2 sources with ties to UMass Lowell Hockey program both indicated there was truth to that and a former player indicated to me that hockey alumni had heard he was in the running but pulled his name out when the pot was perhaps sweetened at Lowell.

I have submitted a FOIA request to see what additional info I can find in regards to the possibility of a better contract. Hopefully I will hear further.

I will admit I was mislead if it comes out that there was “nothing to see here” but I believe there was.

- Jeff Cox
                Thanks for the follow up, looking forward to reading any additional details you may uncover.

Comment

Who’s going to be your next coach? Maybe Norm will bring Jasmine with him to BU??
                  AWESOME!!!!
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Thanks for the follow up, looking forward to reading any additional details you may uncover.
                    I have been told my FOIA Request has been received and I will have the information within 10 business days. I am also continuing to pursue leads with several western sources indicating there was an offer and serious discussions before Bazin ultimately turned down the offer.
                    https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                    Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

#2 UML Baseball wins today and will now play #1 Hartford in the AE Final Tournament tomorrow, in the winner's bracket. Good luck boys!
                      Last edited by UMLFan; 05-24-2018, 05:38 PM.
                      Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                      2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                      2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                      2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

• Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                        #2 UML Baseball wins today and will now play #1 Hartford in the AE Final Tournament tomorrow, in the winner's bracket. Good luck boys!
                        Go get em boys

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                          Hartford scores a run in the bottom of the ninth to win it 4-3. The Hawks play again today at 6:00 pm against either Maine or Stony Brook for a chance to play in the championship game.

Comment

• Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                            I have been told my FOIA Request has been received and I will have the information within 10 business days. I am also continuing to pursue leads with several western sources indicating there was an offer and serious discussions before Bazin ultimately turned down the offer.
                            Who cares cox get a life

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                              Hartford scores a run in the bottom of the ninth to win it 4-3. The Hawks play again today at 6:00 pm against either Maine or Stony Brook for a chance to play in the championship game.
                              The baseball team came back from a 5-0 deficit against Stony Brook last night, but gave up a solo-HR in the 8th inning to lose 6-5 and end their season.
                              Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                              "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by chiefs11 View Post
                                Who cares cox get a life
                                He's doing his job. You could show some politeness.
                                Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                                2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                                2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                                2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                                2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Working...
                                X