WCHA Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA Playoffs

OSU with Sauve is a better team. She is like a 3rd defensemen and they missed that today because they only play with 4. She beat us 4 times this year so happy not to see her play today.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
      OSU with Sauve is a better team. She is like a 3rd defensemen and they missed that today because they only play with 4. She beat us 4 times this year so happy not to see her play today.
      I guess I missed the news explaining why she did not play today.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
        A Grace Zumwinkle shot on goal is never a bad play. She had one today that she missed just high that I was sure was going through the glass, through the wall, and out onto 5th Street.
        Zeglen had a clear view of the shot but didn't move a muscle until the puck was way by her. Missed the far upper corner by mere inches.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          Zeglen had a clear view of the shot but didn't move a muscle until the puck was way by her. Missed the far upper corner by mere inches.
          Thus the sports expression, "It's a game of inches."

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
            You do know that OSU was wearing gray, right?
            Hahaha. Yes, I do. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              One of the hardest shots I've ever seen. The guy sitting next to me said there's no way any net could have stopped that puck if it had been on goal.

Just the best effort I've seen the Gophers give all year. Tomorrow should be a fun game.
              "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

She had one today that she missed just high that I was sure was going through the glass, through the wall, and out onto 5th Street.
                A friend of mine played baseball in the late '60's I guess it would have been. A few years ago he regaled me with a story of how he once crushed the ball out of the park. He explained in great detail how high it was when it cleared the fence and that when it did so it was still gaining altitude. He further explained that it was still gaining altitude when he (and everyone else) lost sight of it.

His last comment to me was..."I still don't think it's come down yet!"

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                  One of the hardest shots I've ever seen.
                  Zumwinkle should have to pass a background check to have that shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                    UM squeaks by with a goal from a sharp angle that should have been a routine stop.
                    After most of a night's sleep, I want to come back to this. Zumwinkle's shot isn't dangerous only because it's hard. She's also accurate, and has a very quick release. She scores goals that kind of look soft by flat-footing the goalie. I was at a bad angle to see if that's what happened last night, but it definitely has in the past.

Comment

After most of a night's sleep, I want to come back to this. Zumwinkle's shot isn't dangerous only because it's hard. She's also accurate, and has a very quick release. She scores goals that kind of look soft by flat-footing the goalie. I was at a bad angle to see if that's what happened last night, but it definitely has in the past.
                      We were sitting in the right place to see it. #12 has an uncanny ability to hit spots. We saw her do it when she was in high school & it is not luck. Her wrister is as hard as many womens slap shot. It looked to me like she had picked a spot above the shoulder & just missed but the puck muscled its way through. You really do not want her to have time and space or you will pay.

Comment

Zumwinkle should have to pass a background check to have that shot.
                        When I said her shot was "one" of the hardest I have ever seen I decided not to qualify it to a man or woman hockey player. Her shot does remind me of Bobby Hull's whom I had seen play in an exhibition game in 1959 when he was still "The Golden Jet" with the Black Hawks. I'll leave it at that.
                        Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-04-2018, 10:19 AM. Reason: "The Golden Jet II", maybe?
                        "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Zumwinkle's first goal last night wasn't especially hard, but it came to her in the air, and she managed to get a first touch like a soccer player would and shoot it out of the air. So while it may have looked like a soft goal on a web feed, it was hard for a goaltender to read, because it didn't look like a play where an effective shot was imminent.

I was sitting with my wife at the time, in the corner to the left of the band, so I had a good angle, and Ch 4 had a nice replay. Zumwinkle's blast a few minutes later was the hardest shot I've ever experienced in a women's game, as it was coming directly at us. I think my wife may still be ducking.
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                            When I said her shot was "one" of the hardest I have ever seen I decided not to qualify it to a man or woman hockey player. Her shot does remind me of Bobby Hull's who I had seen play in an exhibition game in 1959 when he was still "The Golden Jet" with the Black Hawks. I'll leave it at that.
                            Grace denies it but their HS coach claims her kid sister has a harder shot. If that is true I fear for the safety of players trying to block shots

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                              Zumwinkle's first goal last night ... may have looked like a soft goal on a web feed.
                              It didn't look soft; it looked like an amazingly quick transition from receiving pass to getting off shot. Not just a redirect, but reception-possession-shoot all in the blink of an eye.

Comment

One thing I'm hoping that Zumwinkle learns over the next couple of years is to be more selfish. When you're carrying around that kind of arsenal, there are a lot fewer times when you can create a better scoring chance for a teammate by passing than just shooting it yourself than there are for other players. There was a 2-on-1 in the first period yesterday when she was carrying the puck in and passed it when I thought that shooting was clearly the better option; I felt vindicated when the play didn't produce a shot at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X