This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Your days of fondling are numbered. Enjoy them.
    Life will go on either way. There are plenty of other things I find enjoyment in if the government takes away that right.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Guns, Guns, And More Guns

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      You must learn to investigate more closely. What you state are the only ones that make national news attention. Consider why that is...
      so there's cases of cops shooting unarmed black men that don't make national news attention?
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
        And you don't think your attitude towards getting rid of them is part of the "American attitude?"

For fark's sake, we used to regularly confiscate guns at the town border in the wild west. Don't tell me it can't be done, because history and the majority of the rest of the world disagree.
        And you realize that back then, there were a lot less guns, right? The only way you're going to be able to confiscate guns in this day and age would be a major military operation. Sure, some would turn in their guns, but many many others would go Ruby Ridge on it. Then you play right into their hands of "Gub'ment gonna take our guns!"

Banning all/most guns is not a feasible option. Period. It will not work.

In my perfect world, everyone who is qualified to own a gun, could own a gun, and they would use those guns responsibly. Unfortunately, it's not a perfect world.

Someone gets mad? Gonna go do some shooting. Someone's mental condition acts up a little? Gonna do some shooting.
        Nah, I won't keep my gun in a safe, I'll just put it on top of the fridge, my child can't get to it.
        Better yet, I'll keep it in my nightstand drawer, so I have easy access to it in case my house gets broken into while I'm sleeping.

Stuff like that is what really needs to change.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          but the bigger issue is, IMO, our general attitude towards guns. It's an American attitude, and it stinks.
          and why is that solely an American attitude?
          why do the Brits, the Aussies, the Canadians, the Sedes, etc., have the attitudes they do toward guns? What can we be doing to change that 'peculiarly American' attitude towards guns?

tell me, what's your attitude towards covered wagons?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
            and why is that solely an American attitude?
            why do the Brits, the Aussies, the Canadians, the Sedes, etc., have the attitudes they do toward guns? What can we be doing to change that 'peculiarly American' attitude towards guns?

tell me, what's your attitude towards covered wagons?
            I don't know why they have the attitudes they do, and why we have a "shoot 'em up" attitude. It's the million dollar question.

Stop with the snark, please (covered wagons remark). Not helpful.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

And you realize that back then, there were a lot less guns, right? The only way you're going to be able to confiscate guns in this day and age would be a major military operation. Sure, some would turn in their guns, but many many others would go Ruby Ridge on it. Then you play right into their hands of "Gub'ment gonna take our guns!"
              Good - that will help us root out the unhinged lawbreakers.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                Good - that will help us root out the unhinged lawbreakers.
                1. Funding for such an operation.
                2. Try and figure that situation out without bloodshed on both sides.
                3. Spinning in such a way where the government looks like the good guys.
                4. And of course ensuring that operation is not only successful at the beginning, but remains successful, since Mexico has quite a few guns that they can black-market over the border. You know, like drugs, which we also can't seem to stop. (I'm sure some Canadians have some guns too, but let's be honest: more in MX).
                5. And let's say I have 5 illegal guns. I turn in 4; huh, looks like I'm complying. It's the old house party trick when cops busted you. You have 4 kegs? Give 'em the open one, and one more....still have 2 kegs.

Comment

I don't know why they have the attitudes they do, and why we have a "shoot 'em up" attitude. It's the million dollar question.

Stop with the snark, please (covered wagons remark). Not helpful.
                  no, it is. the reason why you have no attitude towards covered wagons, is you've never been in one, used one, maybe even seen one.

the reasons why those countries have the attitudes they have towards guns, is their people haven't touched them owned them, used them. because they aren't allowed to. you won't miss what you've never had.

and precisely why we have such a soot 'em up attitude toward them. cause everyone and his re-tarded brother can own one. and not just a pistol. but a full-blown weapon of war.

you raise a couple generations of Americans who have never held an assault rifle, and no one's gonna be clamoring to be allowed one.

Comment

I was being facetious.

Since Brent isn't, then on a serious note - if they're willing to attack government officials who have a warrant, fck them.

Comment

no, it is. the reason why you have no attitude towards covered wagons, is you've never been in one, used one, maybe even seen one.

the reasons why those countries have the attitudes they have towards guns, is their people haven't touched them owned them, used them. because they aren't allowed to. you won't miss what you've never had.

and precisely why we have such a soot 'em up attitude toward them. cause everyone and his ******** brother can own one. and not just a pistol. but a full-blown weapon of war.
                      You seriously think that no one in those countries have ever touched a gun. Ever. Never mind armed forces of those countries (they have the same gung-ho soldier types, too).

I don't have the shoot 'em up attitude. I have shot guns. I could get a gun. I have a spotless record/clean background. There are many gun owners that are the same way, a few on this board. I'd venture to guess that a majority of gun owners are responsible. Now, you and I know that a majority shouldn't be good enough. That should be the bare minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        I was being facetious.

Since Brent isn't, then on a serious note - if they're willing to attack government officials who have a warrant, fck them.
                        I know you were being facetious, but it seems some others think that's just sensible. Apparently some lives are worth more than others. For folks like that...I don't quite feel that way, even though I think there is something very wrong with them. I reserve what would amount to a death penalty for crimes a bit more serious than having an illegal gun.

Comment

and precisely why we have such a soot 'em up attitude toward them. cause everyone and his re-tarded brother can own one. and not just a pistol. but a full-blown weapon of war.

you raise a couple generations of Americans who have never held an assault rifle, and no one's gonna be clamoring to be allowed one.
                          You'd be surprised at the legal gun ownership rates amongst the citizenry. America has the highest by far, after that it's the European nations with the guns. These are not owned by the government, and they could not count illegally held weapons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estima...ita_by_country
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                            Gun control was much more popular 40 years ago.
                            Not sure there's evidence of that.

Gun Control Support Reaches Its Highest Level in 25 Years | Time
                            February 28, 2018

http://time.com/5180006/gun-control-...l-in-25-years/
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Are you serious, alfa? Mental screenings could help. The 48hour confiscation would only happen with probable cause. Closing all the little loopholes in background checks would help.

BTW, I don't own any guns, I have no reason to.

You are really looking like a witch-hunter right now.
                              Yes, serious. What are you suggesting you do with the mental screening that does not take away some other right? You can't punish someone for potentially doing something.

Comment

Banning all/most guns is not a feasible option. Period. It will not work.
                                Why? It works fine in other countries- it would only be a matter of time to round up all of the guns.

And if we continue to force us to not have reasonable controls on the 2nd, like there are on every single other amendment, it will eventually go that way. The more people die, the more public opinion will go to the side of anti-gun. Especially as mass murders happen.

Why is that eventuality not obvious? RIGHT NOW, we are seeing the NRA support being eroded, we are seeing the arms industry struggle, since so few are buying, etc. If we continue to suggest that every tiny step to reduce gun violence by controlling guns is the same as "they are coming for my guns"- it WILL eventually lead to the repeal of the 2nd. No way around that.

Comment

Working...
                                X