Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Thread: Maine Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by dwollstadt View Post
    Final score, Maine 7, SHU 0
    Seven different players scored for UMaine.
    Always good to get off to a good start. Nice to see freshmen scoring.

Re: Maine Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by dwollstadt View Post
    Final score, Maine 7, SHU 0
    Seven different players scored for UMaine.
    Yes and today none were Tereza Vasinova...good to see others on the score sheet....she'll get a bunch next weekend versus QU...!

That is not true. Sacred Heart is D1 but only started offering scholarship monies last year in an effort to improve their program. They were a group of walk-ons for years. It is difficult to get D1 caliber girls to come play hockey without offering scholarship $$ and tuition at 56K/year. They will get better but it will take time. As for Maine, they are a very talented collection of girls from all over the globe with recruits from Russia, Latvia, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Czech Republic as well as our Canadian neighbors. They roster only 8 girls from the US. I would expect them to win their league handily with that type of reach, correct?

My error. Sacred Heart is a member of the D1 New England Women's Hockey Alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymakesmebroke View Post
    That is not true. Sacred Heart is D1 but only started offering scholarship monies last year in an effort to improve their program. They were a group of walk-ons for years. It is difficult to get D1 caliber girls to come play hockey without offering scholarship $$ and tuition at 56K/year. They will get better but it will take time. As for Maine, they are a very talented collection of girls from all over the globe with recruits from Russia, Latvia, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Czech Republic as well as our Canadian neighbors. They roster only 8 girls from the US. I would expect them to win their league handily with that type of reach, correct?
    Yes it does take time to recruit and build a solid program...hoping it happens for SHU. As for the recruiting part at Maine...yes there are a lot of girls from over seas and I can say I have no problem with it...once they put that hockey sweater on they are playing for MAINE...and its hard to compete with the likes of BC/BU/NU/Wis/Minnesota's/UMD for top tier talent(no excuse/just a fact)...so at Maine it has become a so called UNITED NATIONS TEAM, and so be it. I have followed them from the start of the program and figured they would some day be a legit team...or at least a solid program...but that has not happened.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymakesmebroke View Post
    ...........I would expect them to win their league handily with that type of reach, correct?
    Apparently, coaches in Hockey East do not share your assessment. Pre-season poll has Maine finishing 8th in Hockey East.

Quote Originally Posted by Runsub5 View Post
    Apparently, coaches in Hockey East do not share your assessment. Pre-season poll has Maine finishing 8th in Hockey East.
    And they could very well be right on that...if anything a 6th place showing would be the highest I see them...but again that could change after say 12 games and the team bonding together. Have to start beating the top 4 teams in Hockey East...until they do they stay down in the pack.

Quinnipiac @ Maine this weekend...QU split with Providence, winning 2-1 and losing 3-2....Maine coming in with a 2-0-0 record and two shutouts versus Sacred Heart. Two game series both games at 2pm/Friday and Saturday. Go Maine!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    Quinnipiac @ Maine this weekend...QU split with Providence, winning 2-1 and losing 3-2....Maine coming in with a 2-0-0 record and two shutouts versus Sacred Heart. Two game series both games at 2pm/Friday and Saturday. Go Maine!!
    A scoreless tie... rare.

Thread Information