X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Road trip time coming soon. FlagDUDETTE and I have 4 states in the lower 48 to reach together: North Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska, and New Jersey. Yes, I know the last one's fairly easy (not odd though, considering the 48th state for my vehicle was Delaware). So, the $64,000 question... any recommendations for things to do in the first three listed states? We'd prefer to go in the summertime, and I don't think we have UNO or UND on the schedule.
    I can tell you as a native North Dakotan that there aren't a lot of ways to sugarcoat it. A drive through the state of North Dakota can be pretty boring. The nice thing is that we let you drive faster than most places, and you won't be fighting any traffic, so even though it may seem like a lifetime, it won't actually be that long.

That said, a couple of tips.

First, I'd go in late July, even though it can be pretty hot, dry and windy. North Dakota when the flax fields (bright purple) and canola fields (bright yellow) are in bloom is actually very beautiful.

Second, the trip into the Teddy Roosevelt national park from the east can startle you. You'll be driving for miles across dry, rolling hills without a tree in sight. Suddenly it's like you emerged into terrain that combines southern Utah with the painted deserts of Arizona.

If you're trying to knock off Iowa, Nebraska and ND in one trip, and you're coming from the east, here is how I'd do it.

I'd take Interstate 80 into and through Iowa. You'll hit Iowa City where the U of Iowa is located, as well as Des Moines, the capitol. You can take little side trips to see quirky attractions in the state, like the Bob Feller museum in Van Meter.

I-80 will take you into Omaha. At that point you'll have a choice.

I'd either head north along the Missouri river and follow that all the way up to Bismarck, ND, or head west into Nebraska to get more of a flavor for that state.

Assuming you do the latter, I'd turn north at either Grand Island, NE or North Platte, NE. You'll get a real good look at the sandhills of Nebraska, and you'll pass through some Indian reservations that will be eye opening. Eventually I'd shoot for the Missouri river in northern South Dakota, and follow that up to Bismarck/Mandan in North Dakota. It'll take you past Fort Lincoln, where Custer was headquartered before he headed west.

Once you get to Bismarck, head west on the interstate until you get to Medora in the Teddy Roosevelt park.
    Last edited by SJHovey; 03-28-2018, 09:31 AM.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Road trip time coming soon. FlagDUDETTE and I have 4 states in the lower 48 to reach together: North Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska, and New Jersey. Yes, I know the last one's fairly easy (not odd though, considering the 48th state for my vehicle was Delaware). So, the $64,000 question... any recommendations for things to do in the first three listed states? We'd prefer to go in the summertime, and I don't think we have UNO or UND on the schedule.
      I'm sure that North Dakota, Iowa and Nebraska all have some killer white supremacist gatherings, which should be of a particular interest for you.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        I'm sure that North Dakota, Iowa and Nebraska all have some killer white supremacist gatherings, which should be of a particular interest for you.
        There's Posse out there, I suspect. They will leave the light on for flag.

Comment

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
          3 weeks in and I'm loving living in Germany. Hopped a train on Monday to Innsbruck for a quick 2 nights and some snowshoeing in the Alps. We're not going to buy a car, so we're relying on the public transportation system. While amazing and more often than not on time, I realize why so many Germans get all upset at it. Handful of "just roll with it" type of situations but we've been able to get where we've wanted to go.

Heading to Salzburg next weekend with some friends and then planning to hit up Prague in a month or so.
          When I was at the World University Games in Trento in 2013 I took a day trip to Innsbruck. Wished I could have stayed for two or three. Simply beautiful.

My cousin has lived in Vienna most of his adult life and my wife's family is German. A trip to both it's on our bucket list.
          Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            That was over the line.

I thought that was Idaho and Montana.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              That was over the line.

Northern Idaho is a nesting place.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                When I was at the World University Games in Trento in 2013 I took a day trip to Innsbruck. Wished I could have stayed for two or three. Simply beautiful.

My cousin has lived in Vienna most of his adult life and my wife's family is German. A trip to both it's on our bucket list.
                I'll be in Vienna for a week starting in early July. It's in a trip with Budapest and Madrid.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  I'll be in Vienna for a week starting in early July. It's in a trip with Budapest and Madrid.
                  mookie was thinking of vienna and another stop or two for christmas. but the older coming kid wants lyon.... so it will be that and geneva along with either milan or turin.
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    mookie was thinking of vienna and another stop or two for christmas. but the older coming kid wants lyon.... so it will be that and geneva along with either milan or turin.
                    I'm Italian, but Italy is so packed and so expensive, I have a tough time bringing myself to go there. maybe next year.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

hmmmm
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        That was over the line.

Didn't see much of that when going through there. However, it's nice to know that I can't ask for advice on travel without encountering a political troll.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                          I can tell you as a native North Dakotan that there aren't a lot of ways to sugarcoat it. A drive through the state of North Dakota can be pretty boring. The nice thing is that we let you drive faster than most places, and you won't be fighting any traffic, so even though it may seem like a lifetime, it won't actually be that long.

That said, a couple of tips.

First, I'd go in late July, even though it can be pretty hot, dry and windy. North Dakota when the flax fields (bright purple) and canola fields (bright yellow) are in bloom is actually very beautiful.

Second, the trip into the Teddy Roosevelt national park from the east can startle you. You'll be driving for miles across dry, rolling hills without a tree in sight. Suddenly it's like you emerged into terrain that combines southern Utah with the painted deserts of Arizona.

If you're trying to knock off Iowa, Nebraska and ND in one trip, and you're coming from the east, here is how I'd do it.

I'd take Interstate 80 into and through Iowa. You'll hit Iowa City where the U of Iowa is located, as well as Des Moines, the capital. You can take little side trips to see quirky attractions in the state, like the Bob Feller museum in Van Meter.

I-80 will take you into Omaha. At that point you'll have a choice.

I'd either head north along the Missouri river and follow that all the way up to Bismarck, ND, or head west into Nebraska to get more of a flavor for that state.

Assuming you do the latter, I'd turn north at either Grand Island, NE or North Platte, NE. You'll get a real good look at the sandhills of Nebraska, and you'll pass through some Indian reservations that will be eye opening. Eventually I'd shoot for the Missouri river in northern South Dakota, and follow that up to Bismarck/Mandan in North Dakota. It'll take you past Fort Lincoln, where Custer was headquartered before he headed west.

Once you get to Bismarck, head west on the interstate until you get to Medora in the Teddy Roosevelt park.
                          Tnx for the info, I do recall using I-80 when coming home from a juniors game in Lincoln after going to a weekend at SCSU. I had "clipped" North Dakota using ND 11 and I-29 on the way. The Missouri Valley in Iowa was a very nice sight, IIRC. Probably not as nice on the other side of the highway, though.

Comment

Didn't see much of that when going through there. However, it's nice to know that I can't ask for advice on travel without encountering a political troll.
                            Dude, you're the political troll, I'm just making fun of you.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

No, you’re the puppet
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                No, you’re the puppet
                                Does that mean you're going to stick your hand up my butt?

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X