X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

Mookie has heard good things about Tbilisi
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Belarus and Moldova will probably require additional visas, which you may have a hard time getting. Honestly, neither of those countries is probably worth the hassle. I read several years ago that Moldova supposedly has the highest rate of alcoholism in the world.

I would look at Tallinn, St. Petersberg, Helsinki, and maybe Riga. Haven't been to any of them though, so I can't help you there. Heard nice things about Tallinn for sure.

Will your Russian visa allow you to exit for the weekend and return the following week? Probably should double-check that.

Comment

• I wouldn't write Moldova off so easily. Chisinau isn't going to be as flashy as some other cities, but a pleasant place to spend a few days if Romanian cities are any indication (and my understanding is that they are). It's also super cheap to rent a car, and you could get to Iasi, which by all accounts is a nice little city and interesting visit, in only a couple hour drive. And driving through Romania/Moldova is an interesting experience in and of itself.

I think I would probably head to Tallinn soley for the women, though.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          Belarus and Moldova will probably require additional visas, which you may have a hard time getting. Honestly, neither of those countries is probably worth the hassle. I read several years ago that Moldova supposedly has the highest rate of alcoholism in the world.

I would look at Tallinn, St. Petersberg, Helsinki, and maybe Riga. Haven't been to any of them though, so I can't help you there. Heard nice things about Tallinn for sure.

Will your Russian visa allow you to exit for the weekend and return the following week? Probably should double-check that.
          Russian visa is ok, I have a 3 year multi-entry business visa. But, Belarus is an issue. No need for a tourist visa for USA citizens, but they require a visa for everyone entering from Russia, which I would be. So, I'm crossing Minsk off the list. I eliminated several locations (Chisenau, Almaty, Tallinn, Riga, Helsinki) due to ****ty flight schedules that won't work for a weekend trip.

I also found that Vilnius has a very favorable flight schedule, that will work for me, but the flight isn't cheap. May use miles. Right now, leaning towards Vilnius, since no visa is required and flights work out nicely.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

St. Petersburg. It makes Moscow look like a village.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Vilnius looks pretty awesome: https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...raft-beer-bars
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Tallinn is fun to walk around for a day. The old city has kept its look so it's very picturesque. Hilly, too, but that makes it all the more fun in my opinion.

Helsinki actually feels like a US city. It was only expanded in the 1800s, so it has a much more recent look and feel. We only did a morning tour, so we didn't spend a huge amount of time there.

St Petersburg is great, but the visa issue makes it hard to do without a tour. The Winter Palace and Hermitage, all of the cathedrals, and nearby with the Peterhof and Puskin and so forth. A lot of it is crowded because they're major sites, but still really cool stuff to see. We were there on a tour, so I can't say much about walking around or anything.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                  Tallinn is fun to walk around for a day. The old city has kept its look so it's very picturesque. Hilly, too, but that makes it all the more fun in my opinion.

Helsinki actually feels like a US city. It was only expanded in the 1800s, so it has a much more recent look and feel. We only did a morning tour, so we didn't spend a huge amount of time there.

St Petersburg is great, but the visa issue makes it hard to do without a tour. The Winter Palace and Hermitage, all of the cathedrals, and nearby with the Peterhof and Puskin and so forth. A lot of it is crowded because they're major sites, but still really cool stuff to see. We were there on a tour, so I can't say much about walking around or anything.
                  I already have a mulit-entry Russian visa, and I'll be in Russia already, so should be no visa issues with Russia, unless something unexpected happens.

At this point, I think I am really leaning towards Vilnius. Good flight schedules, no visa needed for Lithuania, airport close to the old town, nice centrally located hotel right in old town, surrounded by cool Lithuanian beer halls, old architecture, and the reviews I read say that the people are very friendly.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

FYI there's a good Rick Steves on Helsinki/Tallinn that gives a good feel of both that PBS just started showing.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

so... new year's eve in Amsterdam?!?!?

yes____
                      no_____

Comment

So i'm going to Bermuda at the end of November for 6 days. What's there to do..
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          Get lost?
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I'm going to Sonoma, California next month. Need winery suggestions
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                              Take a bus around the island. It is a hoot to watch the locals chivy each other.
                              Botanical gardens

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                                so... new year's eve in Amsterdam?!?!?

yes____X__
                                no_____
                                Which will follow Christmas in London

Comment

Working...
                                X