This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

With all the discussion about the train routes in Norway, thought I would "throw this out there"... In-preparation for firing our Cable provider, I downloaded PlutoTV on a number of our TV's & gaming systems as alternative entertainment to the garbage that comes-through the coax line. I must admit that I have become somewhat-addicted to the SlowTV channel <link>, which shows a lot of Norwegian rail lines. Nothing more than a camera mounted to the front of a train, displaying the scenery as it moves-along it's route.

Sounds extremely boring, but I have spent a good 45-minutes in one sitting watching that channel... just for the scenery!

Cheers!!!
    ~TTF
    Dave
    RIT - '90

Comment

Question for those who traveling domestically of late: I'm due to visit my parents during the first week of February down in Tampa. Should I expect enormous wait times for TSA due to the government shutdown? Has there been an appreciable change in air travel since this started? I haven't booked my flights yet...

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
        Question for those who traveling domestically of late: I'm due to visit my parents during the first week of February down in Tampa. Should I expect enormous wait times for TSA due to the government shutdown? Has there been an appreciable change in air travel since this started? I haven't booked my flights yet...
        I have heard that Tampa doesn't have any significant delays due to TSA issues. Atlanta was a CF today (Monday) with waits up to/over an hour. Probably depends on location.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
          I have heard that Tampa doesn't have any significant delays due to TSA issues. Atlanta was a CF today (Monday) with waits up to/over an hour. Probably depends on location.
          That would be my guess. And now that people are not showing up for TSA work...dunno if there is any tracking site/etc to find out that sort of stat of what airports are currently most affected (like a live update stat).
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
            I didn't think to bother you about this. Any chance you'll be home the first week in February? I'll be down there the 4th through 8th (leaving early in the day -- gotta work that night) if you want to grab drinks.

Comment

In short, no. TSA has shut down checkpoints at MIA and IAH, and I've heard of some long lines at other major airports, but MHT should be fine (assuming that's where you'd fly out of). I've noticed no difference with ATC. Try to avoid connecting through EWR, LGA, JFK, IAD, and DCA (But, I'd say that anyway) as if/when ATC decides they're sick of not getting paid, I'd imagine those will be hardest hit. Schedule longish layovers if you have to connect, and I would recommend taking earlier flights as it is less likely to have any problems.
              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
              Originally posted by Quizmire
              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                In short, no. TSA has shut down checkpoints at MIA and IAH, and I've heard of some long lines at other major airports, but MHT should be fine (assuming that's where you'd fly out of). I've noticed no difference with ATC. Try to avoid connecting through EWR, LGA, JFK, IAD, and DCA (But, I'd say that anyway) as if/when ATC decides they're sick of not getting paid, I'd imagine those will be hardest hit. Schedule longish layovers if you have to connect, and I would recommend taking earlier flights as it is less likely to have any problems.
                That's why I do/did for any flight even without potential issues. More time to correct/make up for any issues. There was one time, snowstorm in MN, and enough people changed flights from CO-MN where there was an open spot on a delayed flight, and I didn't have to wait for my original flight. Left on time. Very odd, and very welcomed.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                  Thank you. I'll be flying from BOS to TPA (coming right from the hospital) on the way down and TPA to MHT on the way home. Both will be direct flights (worth the extra 30$ to me). Good to know on the connections if the need arises (booking tomorrow after I check for the millionth time with my parents that they know I'm coming down).

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                    That's why I do/did for any flight even without potential issues. More time to correct/make up for any issues. There was one time, snowstorm in MN, and enough people changed flights from CO-MN where there was an open spot on a delayed flight, and I didn't have to wait for my original flight. Left on time. Very odd, and very welcomed.
                    Yup -- Us too most of the time. This has led to some cranky moments since I don't love getting up at 0300 for 0500 flights, but it is worth it.

Comment

Yup -- Us too most of the time. This has led to some cranky moments since I don't love getting up at 0300 for 0500 flights, but it is worth it.
                      I don't think I ever flew out anywhere after 8am in my adult life when leaving (had to leave after that coming back), and that's my normal wake-up time (45 minutes from the airport here), and that's a true PITA, but as you say, it's worth it.

Comment

I don't think I ever flew out anywhere after 8am in my adult life when leaving (had to leave after that coming back), and that's my normal wake-up time (45 minutes from the airport here), and that's a true PITA, but as you say, it's worth it.
                        I waffle. I try not to fly after noon. My parents are taking me to the airport in Tampa to fly back, so I have a noon flight (it's also direct, which is why I chose it). It's 90 minutes to the airport from where they're renting a place.

Comment

I waffle. I try not to fly after noon. My parents are taking me to the airport in Tampa to fly back, so I have a noon flight (it's also direct, which is why I chose it). It's 90 minutes to the airport from where they're renting a place.
                          When I flew out of CO Springs, times were limited, due to the base...other times, it was work stuff that set it up.

Comment

hmmmm. mookie finds it best to get a flight at 10p or 11p and arrive 6a'ish. get your bed on the flight (no hotel ) and good to go in the morning.
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              hmmmm. mookie finds it best to get a flight at 10p or 11p and arrive 6a'ish. get your bed on the flight (no hotel ) and good to go in the morning.
                              I can't sleep on a plane.

Comment

I can't sleep on a plane.
                                mookie flies fancy.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                                And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                                Twenty red lights in his honor
                                Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Working...
                                X