X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    Has anyone been to Costa Rica in the summer? My Gf insists on going. Me, i'd pick Halifax but I don't get a vote.
    No but I do get outvoted 1-1 quite often.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
    Twenty red lights in his honor
    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      I would never go to London or Paris during peak tourist season (June-Sept). Even though it's the prime weather period, the crowds and obnoxious fellow Americans would be enough to keep me away.
      Not my choice. Last time we went- about 10 yrs or so ago it was crowded. This was just stupid. You couldn't see the pavement for the people and it is not like Disney where they know how to move people. You have a bunch of people who feel entitled and a setting where they don't put up with entitlement. Left to myself I wouldn't have booked it the way it was done.

When I was a kid we lived in Suffolk. We would take the train in, see something and then go home. Totally different when you have a short time and a bunch of people who are used to waving cash at something to make it work out. Made things interesting. Things do not work out no matter how much cash when what you want is logistically impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
        I haven't been to London for 15 years or so, and I'm sure traffic is worse now (it was pretty bad then). We did one of the hop-on hop-off tours at night. Traffic was light, and most of the sites were fairly well lit and looked pretty cool at night. We only spent a few days in the city and then took a train out into the country and rented a car and spent a week in a small village. It was very cool exploring the countryside, and then we flew home from Manchester. I definitely would like to go back and spend more time in London.
        We did hop on hop off when we were there last ~10 yrs ago. It was great. This was an exercise in frustration. The buses weren't able to get roundso they were coming every 30-40 minutes instead of 15-20. We literally would have been unable to do just 2 of the 5 routes, We hopped off less than half way thru the first route to change to the second bus route. Made it a third of the way around that one before we just gave up. BY that time we missed the window for many of the sites. Being a frugal person this seemed like the way to go. It made things more stressful to know we wasted a bunch of money and there was no way to get our money's worth.

Not only that but the people riding were just plain obnoxious and cut throat. With the long wait there was a crowd at every stop. First stop we were at we were the front of the queue. The bus pulled up a bit past the pole and the people shoved and jammed on in. We ended up getting on last. Second bus, again at the front of the queue- some entitled b1tch with kids came to the side of the front of the line, pushed up front. I said something and she claimed to have been there for a half an hour. Since we were the ones who started the line and dragged a bunch of people to the stop (they were waiting in the wrong place) everyone knew she was full of it but she and her hoard pushedon past, took the last of the top seats leaving us on the bottom. Having lived there when to cut the queue was tantamount to spitting in someone's eye I was totally appalled. (Still am, if you can't tell).

There was no etiquette at all. People pushed, shoved, didn't respect the queue or the paths we were supposed to follow. Definitely not the England I remembered.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
          Totally different when you have a short time and a bunch of people who are used to waving cash at something to make it work out.
          "Here's a few hundred pounds, mind if we cut the line?"

God I would hate that.

Comment

"Here's a few hundred pounds, mind if we cut the line?"

God I would hate that.
            It is so foreign to me. They didn't want to take the Tube with the masses (that is part of the fun!!) One of the couples cabbed every where. In London where it can easily take you forever to get there. And the total lack of comprehension that you could be responsible so you didn't need to spend oodles of $$. And lack of comprehension that people do need to think that way cos they don't have $$. They are nice enough people but I find myself having a lower opinion of bits of them. No matter how rich you are having personal responsibility with your money should be a given. And even if you aren't responsible you shouldn't be disdainful of other people who are.

One of the couples came in on a different plane. We didn't see much of them until the game. Overheard a conversation after one of the people made a comment about not worrying about the car service ( already paid for) and just assuming they'd call an Uber and eat the $ for the car service. The guy in the other couple politely let loose saying all the stuff I wished I had. They didn't have enough money to think that way, they were thoughtful with what they spent on and [what ever it was] was not an expense they planned on. THat attitude is what allowed them to do things they otherwise might not. I wanted to cheer. Gave a great crew cut. Didn't sink in at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
              Listening to what some coworkers went through plus what I saw on Twitter over the weekend I can't imagine why anyone would fly Sun County again. Ever.

They cancelled a bunch of flights without any real explanation on Saturday, offered no assistance at check in or the gate as to why, it took hours and hours (like more than 10) to get ahold of a someone at the airline via their 800 number, and (this is the best) a coworker said she was able to finally convince someone refund her outbound flight but they would not refund the return flight. She was told it was "her prerogative to not use the return ticket". What a chicken---- operation.
              I stopped using Sun Country in February. The ridiculous fees, the uncomfortable seats and the way they treat their customers as a whole just isnt worth the money you MIGHT save. Delta is usually not that much more expensive, is a more comfortable flight, has more flight options and a much better rewards program.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I would never go to London or Paris during peak tourist season (June-Sept). Even though it's the prime weather period, the crowds and obnoxious fellow Americans would be enough to keep me away.
                Dont forget the Asians. Paris last year in August was 10% American, 30% French and 60% Asians taking selfies.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  I stopped using Sun Country in February. The ridiculous fees, the uncomfortable seats and the way they treat their customers as a whole just isnt worth the money you MIGHT save. Delta is usually not that much more expensive, is a more comfortable flight, has more flight options and a much better rewards program.
                  And Delta (and most other airlines) actually do the part Sun Country has failed at recently; they execute on the flight part of the transaction. Seems so simple yet this part continues to elude Sun Stranded.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                  And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                  Twenty red lights in his honor
                  Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

• Tube with oyster is without a doubt way to go. Quick as a whistle and takes you everywhere. After third ride on that card the rest of the day is free. People need to appreciate out of the way spots too. Go to earl’s court and find a pub for lunch and afternoon drinks. Go find food at spitalfields. See maida vale.

Not like one can make out Big Ben anyhow these days

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    Dont forget the Asians. Paris last year in August was 10% American, 30% French and 60% Asians taking selfies.
                    Prague and Budapest were all Koreans. Flights into and out of the same (cept for mookie and fam)
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      It’s always a little weird for me seeing these stories since I live in a place where flight options are basically Alaska or Delta. I basically always try to fly Alaska since Club 49 is a thing and I hate bag fees.
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

this time next week, mookie will be en route to hong kong.

never been and looking forward to it, protests and all
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          this time next week, mookie will be en route to hong kong.

never been and looking forward to it, protests and all
                          Say hello to Phooey for me!
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Packing for Hawaii. Going ziplining and riding in a chopper for the first time ever, amongst other things. Can't wait.

Both of my regional biz class upgrade certs cleared, which will be particularly nice for the 8.5 hour redeye home. Definitely extracted maximum value from those this year based on these two flights alone.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              Packing for Hawaii. Going ziplining and riding in a chopper for the first time ever, amongst other things. Can't wait.

Both of my regional biz class upgrade certs cleared, which will be particularly nice for the 8.5 hour redeye home. Definitely extracted maximum value from those this year based on these two flights alone.
                              Which island?

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                                Which island?
                                Split between Oahu and Kauai.

Comment

Working...
                                X