This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

Stews on Sri Lankan air have the best uniforms, hands down.

Old lady sitting next to mookie went into a seizure. Mookie was left to help her through it then rub her arm. Poor old lady.... she was traveling with her son in law....wasn’t sure how to take that
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Listening to what some coworkers went through plus what I saw on Twitter over the weekend I can't imagine why anyone would fly Sun County again. Ever.

They cancelled a bunch of flights without any real explanation on Saturday, offered no assistance at check in or the gate as to why, it took hours and hours (like more than 10) to get ahold of a someone at the airline via their 800 number, and (this is the best) a coworker said she was able to finally convince someone refund her outbound flight but they would not refund the return flight. She was told it was "her prerogative to not use the return ticket". What a chicken---- operation.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
      And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
      Twenty red lights in his honor
      Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Yeah that’s why my family paid more to fly delta this week to Seattle. Sun country isn’t a viable option anymore

Comment

Sun Country used to be great. It’s. Ow occupying the space between a LCC and an ultra LCC
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I was in a Sun Country commercial 20 years ago. Only for a fraction of a second though. My trombone got more screen time than I did.
            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Back from London.

If you go traffic is insane. Do not bother with a Hop on-Hop off. The traffic is so bad you can't get anywhere- literally impossible to do more than a couple of things a day and only if they are right net to each other. We ended up getting off and walking/taking the tube. We beat the bus we were on. They also offer a river cruise tour as an option. the wait to get the ticket was almost an hour and then there was a wait to get on the thing. (We took the city river bus). Same with the London Pass (which included the Hop on-hop off). They promised fast track but a couple of the places arbitrarily decided not to honor that. If you do decide to get one don't get it thru the Visit Britain site- they don't tell you but you don't get access to the app or some other things the London Pass site says.

Westminster Abbey Evensong has been discovered. People queue starting at 3 for the 5 oclock service. The tours are like cattle calls altho we had an excellent guide- Jane. They have opened a special tour accessed by the Poets' Corner that lets you go up into the gallery and look down on stuff- limited access- you can see all sorts of stuff below and they have original wax effigies of QEI, a few other monarchs, one of the original Magna Carta (WOW!!) that you can peruse at your leisure. Only 5 Pds.

We went to Southwark Cathedral Evensong on the south bank. BEAUTIFUL choir, we got to sit in the quire. Can't say enough.

Took Jack the ripper tour- walking and bus. The description says it gives general London tour as well as the walking tour. Some people whined but I thought it was a great way to see a lot of things. Traffic was so bad we got a chance to really look at stuff rather than fly by. Saw many of the things that I hadn't seen before on previous hop on hop off tour.

There is ugly modern construction everywhere and there is no way to take pics of anything that is considered a landmark without getting them and hundreds of cranes in the background. Almost every famous building has scaffolding on a piece of it. Parliament/Big Ben, Westminster, Buckingham Palace to name a few. .

The roads are being dug up everywhere. Cabs can't get you places- we actually had one tell us there was no way he could get us a place without taking 1.5 hours and recommended the Tube. Every surface road is congested to the point that many of the tours can't keep a schedule.

River bus is the best option to go up and down the river. The Tube is good but then you don't see the city.

The person who picked out hotel picked one on the South Bank. If you book there watch out. Not many public transport places. We walked everywhere because getting to the nearest Tube was almost as far. That is OK but you can't get back tot he Hotel easily- either a convoluted Tube ride or cab that costs a mint d/t sitting in traffic.
              Last edited by leswp1; 07-01-2019, 09:55 PM.

Comment

And people wonder why I won't apply to Sun Country.

Out of curiosity, where were they going?
                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                Originally posted by Quizmire
                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

I think it was the NYY/Bos announcing crew talking about London traffic. They said "Chicago has it so easy, it's crazy."
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                    And people wonder why I won't apply to Sun Country.

Out of curiosity, where were they going?
                    Coworker was heading to LAS.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                    Twenty red lights in his honor
                    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                      I think it was the NYY/Bos announcing crew talking about London traffic. They said "Chicago has it so easy, it's crazy."
                      We left the hotel at 10:45. Went to the hop on hop offbus stop. Waited 40 minutes (supposed to be every 15-20). It took us until around 2 to get less than a half way around one loop out of the 5 offered. The cabbies had lots to say. We took one 3 dif times. Had a rabid knuckledragger one time who fully ascribed to conspiracy theories but loved 'Boris' except that he effed up the roads by turning 2 lanes into one bike and one car lane. The other 2 were more moderate in their spoken word but both hated on Boris.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                        Coworker was heading to LAS.
                        Yeah, scrolling through their mentions it seems like your coworkers were not alone. Almost every tweet has the same story.
                        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                        Originally posted by Quizmire
                        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

I would never go to London or Paris during peak tourist season (June-Sept). Even though it's the prime weather period, the crowds and obnoxious fellow Americans would be enough to keep me away.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                            Back from London.

If you go traffic is insane. Do not bother with a Hop on-Hop off. The traffic is so bad you can't get anywhere- literally impossible to do more than a couple of things a day and only if they are right net to each other. We ended up getting off and walking/taking the tube. We beat the bus we were on. They also offer a river cruise tour as an option. the wait to get the ticket was almost an hour and then there was a wait to get on the thing. (We took the city river bus). Same with the London Pass (which included the Hop on-hop off). They promised fast track but a couple of the places arbitrarily decided not to honor that. If you do decide to get one don't get it thru the Visit Britain site- they don't tell you but you don't get access to the app or some other things the London Pass site says.

Westminster Abbey Evensong has been discovered. People queue starting at 3 for the 5 oclock service. The tours are like cattle calls altho we had an excellent guide- Jane. They have opened a special tour accessed by the Poets' Corner that lets you go up into the gallery and look down on stuff- limited access- you can see all sorts of stuff below and they have original wax effigies of QEI, a few other monarchs, one of the original Magna Carta (WOW!!) that you can peruse at your leisure. Only 5 Pds.

We went to Southwark Cathedral Evensong on the south bank. BEAUTIFUL choir, we got to sit in the quire. Can't say enough.

Took Jack the ripper tour- walking and bus. The description says it gives general London tour as well as the walking tour. Some people whined but I thought it was a great way to see a lot of things. Traffic was so bad we got a chance to really look at stuff rather than fly by. Saw many of the things that I hadn't seen before on previous hop on hop off tour.

There is ugly modern construction everywhere and there is no way to take pics of anything that is considered a landmark without getting them and hundreds of cranes in the background. Almost every famous building has scaffolding on a piece of it. Parliament/Big Ben, Westminster, Buckingham Palace to name a few. .

The roads are being dug up everywhere. Cabs can't get you places- we actually had one tell us there was no way he could get us a place without taking 1.5 hours and recommended the Tube. Every surface road is congested to the point that many of the tours can't keep a schedule.

River bus is the best option to go up and down the river. The Tube is good but then you don't see the city.

The person who picked out hotel picked one on the South Bank. If you book there watch out. Not many public transport places. We walked everywhere because getting to the nearest Tube was almost as far. That is OK but you can't get back tot he Hotel easily- either a convoluted Tube ride or cab that costs a mint d/t sitting in traffic.
                            I haven't been to London for 15 years or so, and I'm sure traffic is worse now (it was pretty bad then). We did one of the hop-on hop-off tours at night. Traffic was light, and most of the sites were fairly well lit and looked pretty cool at night. We only spent a few days in the city and then took a train out into the country and rented a car and spent a week in a small village. It was very cool exploring the countryside, and then we flew home from Manchester. I definitely would like to go back and spend more time in London.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              I would never go to London or Paris during peak tourist season (June-Sept). Even though it's the prime weather period, the crowds and obnoxious fellow Americans would be enough to keep me away.
                              it's to the point where almost ANYWHERE worth going is unbearable during peak tourist season. Airfare is relatively cheap and tons of people from all over the world travel . Hell, even my small town in Maine is almost unbearable during peak season (I live in Bar Harbor with Acadia National Park and they're going to move to a reservation system for some of the busier parts of the park, which is kind of annoying when you're used to being able to do things in the park any time you want).

Comment

Has anyone been to Costa Rica in the summer? My Gf insists on going. Me, i'd pick Halifax but I don't get a vote.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X